Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler in spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Decided to remove my dual coolers from the rear and locate new big cooler up front.

Production car rules will not allow cutting up front sheetmetal for GT style cooling.

Think we could fit a big cooler in this spoiler "without" cutting metal behind? Also worried about getting enought flow thru the cooler without ducted exit from cooler.

And if anyone know, is this spoiler legal in production class?
Aaron Cox
GT racing.... nice.

Iamchappy had that on a previous car if i recall.... not sure if he cut the tub....

BTW - can you do something exotic like Brant's fog grill coolers or Chris Foley's headlight ones???
brant
A colorado guy... Dale Tuety runs a cooler in his spoiler with no cutting.

Probably will see him tomorrow at a club race.
I'll try to get pictures of it if he is there.
His is a trailered race car, and man that cooler is down low... but it works and works well.

I wouldn't do it on a street car is such a volunerable low location, but on a race car like yours its very doable.

brant
mudfoot76
At a club race last year, I saw a 911 that had a similar front-mount setup. The front valence was damanged in an accident, so the guy ripped it off and ran without. The oil cooler was undamaged though, and you could plainly see that it was just mounted but there wasn't any ducting/venting behind it, and as far as I could tell, the body of the car wasn't cut out. The car faired very well in multiple 45 minute races, so it must keep things cool (enough)....and if it worked for a bigger, heavier 911, I would guess that in a 914 you should be good to go as well....
machina
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 15 2005, 01:23 PM)
BTW - can you do something exotic like Brant's fog grill coolers or Chris Foley's headlight ones???

I had big plans for an arrangement like the other guys but I just don't have the time or talent to do it right. Also, I would rather not plumb 2 coolers again. All the issues like series, parallel, extra fittings.... I would rather just go with a big ass cooler and be done with it.
machina
QUOTE (brant @ Sep 15 2005, 01:37 PM)
His is a trailered race car, and man that cooler is down low... but it works and works well.

that would be fantastic brant, thanks beerchug.gif
iamchappy
I had that one one my car for about 20 years, works great until you hit something.
john rogers
I thought SCCA rules allowed ducting for an oil cooler in front to be added? Cooling the oil used to be in the realm of "safety items"? When I checked with them years ago about my added dry sump/front oil cooler, I was okay'd since it was "not a downforce device". The ones that exit the top of the hood I was told were not legal as they added substantial front downforce. I think there are some vintage organizations that do not allow it but they usually don't let 914s in either??!!
SirAndy
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Sep 15 2005, 11:21 AM)
Think we could fit a big cooler in this spoiler "without" cutting metal behind? Also worried about getting enought flow thru the cooler without ducted exit from cooler.

yes, it will work and in fact it works surprisingly well as long as there's some place behind the cooler for the air to go,
like towards the bottom. might need to cut some of the FG ...

dunno if this spoiler is legal, but usually anything that doesn't extend passed the stock front of the car is OK.
that's why some guys run the '74 bumper-tits on their cars, to gain some more useble space in the front as it allows you to extend stuff (spoiler lips etc.) further out ...

like on scotts car, a '70 original /6, see pic below ...
cool.gif Andy
xitspd
I had my guy make a mold incorporating the bumper and spoiler into one peice. Easy off and easy on!
Brett W
Great until you have to bump that idiot in front of you for blocking your line when he parks it in the corners.
xitspd
QUOTE (Brett W @ Sep 15 2005, 04:49 PM)
Great until you have to bump that idiot in front of you for blocking your line when he parks it in the corners.

wink.gif Its OK! I have a back up thats been painted....just in case!
street legal go-kart
Xit,
Can you furnish a close up?
Your front end appears to be two piece ? I can replicate for members if you have the mold...

JT
xitspd
QUOTE (street legal go-kart @ Sep 15 2005, 07:29 PM)
Xit,
Can you furnish a close up?
Your front end appears to be two piece ? I can replicate for members if you have the mold...

JT

I'll shoot a close up this weekend. It was made from 2 peices that were bonded together. We then made a mold from that peice before we painted it.
campbellcj
Sweet car xitspd!

Personally I would be really hesitant to hang the cooler out front, esp down low near the spoiler. Way too easy to get trashed in an "off". Up behind a late-style bumper like Bradholio did years ago seems a little safer to me.
J P Stein
Many sanctioning bodies won't allow you to cut the bumper
for a oil cooler air intake.....which is why Brant & others went to all the trouble with thedualcoolersintheheadlightbuckets. Sheridan's late model glass bumper gets around this by having the intake below the bumper.....but is a 75/76 bumper allowed in vintage racing?
TravisNeff
Dan, are you thinking of making/selling the bumper/spoiler combo through 555? Looks great!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Sep 16 2005, 12:19 AM)
...but is a 75/76 bumper allowed in vintage racing?

I can't answer that but I do know that people use the late bumper on SCCA cars to get the air dam further forward. That makes more room to hang an oil cooler and have a space for the hot air to escape behind it.
You can't cut the bumper for SCCA Production road racing. You can use existing bumper openings (fog lights) and go through the panels directly behind them as well as use the headlight buckets with up to 7" diameter ducts.
BTW, my two oil coolers in the front trunk are not hooked up in series or parallel. They have separate supply lines from multiple scavenge pumps and they dump into a common dry sump tank.
brant
David,

I let you down.
I had multiple mechanical failures throught out the weekend and spent 1/2 of my weekend on my back on dirt.. replacing a rocker arm shaft, rewelding a shift rod, etc..

I didn't get your picture and I'm sorry.

but basically, Dale's spoiler is home made. Aluminum sheeting I think. Lower than most purchased units. He just cut a hole in the center and plumbed a (not tall) oil cooler into the center. No ducting needed behind it.

Check with your race club and if they will let you run any front spoiler besides a stock valance. then it would be easy to take even an LE style and cut a hole in the center and mount the cooler to the metal of the chassis.

I did see a home made type like this on a 911 this weekend also. And that driver went off track and broke his fiberglass spoiler in to two pieces. His cooler survived unharmed and I heard him talking about it (next pit over)
he was telling someone that he mounted it in such a way so as to allow the mounts to fold back (crush zones) in case he went off road. The cooler was folded a few inches towards the rear of the car, but no leaks and no damage.

sorry for not getting pictures.
rough weekend.
brant
BMartin914
Sorry to hear about your troubles Brant. That sucks. sad.gif
brant
Thanks Ben..
but its ok.
I still beat my personal record for the track by .3 seconds.
so that kinda made it all worth while.

I still got both sunday races in.

and I put the car 4 wheels off track for my first time (sideways in corner 1 at 100mph.....) where I was able to down shift from 4th to 3rd and pull back on with only loosing 1 position.

so although it was a rough and stressful weekend, it still went ok really.

brant
machina
QUOTE (brant @ Sep 19 2005, 10:03 AM)
David,

I let you down.

don't worry man,

I know there is enough to do at the track much less take pictures.

I may cut up a stock valence to do a test and see how it goes from there. I would like to keep the cooler as high as possible but with good flow behind it.

glad you could salvage the weekend. any of the problems you had would have had me back on the trailer.
Verruckt
QUOTE (brant @ Sep 15 2005, 12:37 PM)
A colorado guy... Dale Tuety runs a cooler in his spoiler with no cutting.

I wouldn't do it on a street car is such a volunerable low location, but on a race car like yours its very doable.

brant

Brant, I only have two pics of his car. This is the better of the two. That cooler is down lowwwww. Dale said he hadn't had any problems with it, and was very effective. helluva nice guy and driver.

machina
thanks kurt,

I was thinking about cutting the stock valence like that and fg in a cooler grille.

pic helps alot..
Verruckt
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Sep 19 2005, 07:01 PM)
thanks kurt,

I was thinking about cutting the stock valence like that and fg in a cooler grille.

pic helps alot..

No problem, I've been collecting pics for a while now. Trying to get some ideas for myself. Glad to help out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.