Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RC 914 Bodies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
djm914-6
Did eveyone get their bodies that they paid for?

I know I have 5 here that need paint and one was just returned to me due to an incorrect address or zip or something.

Once I have everything sorted out, I'll see what I have left over to paint and use for myself.

Anyone paint one yet? Jello?
djm914-6
here's the first shell I finished. The wing window decal is a tad too small. For future bodies, I may to this area in paint too.

I painted the bumpers Chrome instead of using the decals and I attempted to redefine the bumper area for a more scale look.
djm914-6
pic two:
djm914-6
Here's a pre paint shot showing my cut lines for the mask:
djm914-6
'nuther:
djm914-6
The build for Gwen's car has begun The bodies are trimmed and masked but I'm holding off painting until I can mark the mounting holes. Last night, I was able to complete the transmision and part of the rear suspension.
djm914-6
This kit includes some softer (sticky) tires for the rear. A test drive will determine if I'm right or not, but I see this chassis doing a lot of pushing. I replaced the stock bushings in the transmission and drive shafts with ball bearings. This should make the car marginally quicker and allow some longer run times.

I also played around with the kits wheels and tires. I like the look of these with the 914, but a set of minilites would probably look more accurate.

djm914-6
another, better lit pic...
djm914-6
back...

yes, I did tint the windows a bit on this one.
BMartin914
That looks really nice Dave! drooley.gif

What Tamiya chassis are you using? I've got a 1/10 S-10 truck chassis that I completely rebuilt, then robbed the speed controller from.

I wonder if it might work with different wheels. idea.gif
djm914-6
You need one of the M chassis kits for this body to fit. Others are too long and wide. This kit (as you can see in a corner of one of te pics) is an Alfa. While it won't fit if built according to the directions (too short), the kit includes the adapter piece to convert the chassis from and M-04M to and M-04L (long) chassis.

I'll keep posting as the kits is built to show those that haven't built one before that it's not too hard. This kit may take me a little longet than it would otherwise because my 8 year old has descided to be my helper. He built his monster truck mostly by himself in two evenings. This one may take three as the Differential didn't come assembled like his did.
URY914
Has it started to rust yet?

Paul
djm914-6
No, it's like your car; all plastic! laugh.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 13 2005, 08:56 AM)
Has it started to rust yet?

Paul

better check the longs..or better yet since it's battery powered check the battery tray laugh.gif
greg.treadway
I want one or more. We talked a while back. It looks great!!
clap.gif
URY914
David,

It looks great, but you need to build some jackstands for it.

Doesn't Tamiya make a garage accessory kit that has a floor jack and jackstands?
Kerrys914
Nice smile.gif

Do you do any painting on the exterior of the shell? I know the main painting is done on the inside but do you detail the car on the exterior?

Any clear coating needed after it is painted?

HeloMech
those are pretty cool. Did someone here press them out or are they available elsewhere? I have a little hpi roadcar, 4 wheel drive, disc brake. will have to check the specs on it... would be cool to have a mini 914. I have about 8 clear bodies still in bags for the car.... maybe I can just compare body measurements. Anyone have the specs on the bodies?
MattR
QUOTE (djm914-6 @ Oct 13 2005, 08:19 AM)
but I see this chassis doing a lot of pushing

Some springs will help that. Maybe go a little stiffer in the rear.

Tires are always the LAST thing I tune with. Its usually something to the tune of "slap on some one run tires, I gotta get out to my heat"
djm914-6
Matt,
I bet that's what Tamiya did with this kit. The rear springs are quite a bit stiffer than the fronts. I didn't see any swaybars either. Gteener can mod it up when I get finished. I'm adding an ESC, but leaving the stock motor and stock 17T pinion gear. A mild motor upgrade and a 19 or 21 tooth pinion would be fun I'm sure.

Kerry,
This is all painted on the inside. In one of the pics I posted above, you can see the entire body is "painted" with a liquid mask. I draw trim lines on the outside to use as a guide to cut the mask. I remove the pieces as I need too spraying darkest to lightest colors. I sprayed my chrome, then black, then white. After the paint is dry, I remove the outer protective film and add the decals.

Only paint designed for lexan should be used if it's to be used as an RC. Most other paints will flake off with even just a little handling.
djm914-6
Here's all I could do last night. Added "shocks" to the rear suspension and built up the front bulkhead.

One of the first things I'd add to this if it were mine would be a set of oil filled shocks. These are just springs and bump stops. Shocks would improve the handling greatly.

greg.treadway
These are looking great. It already looks better built than my real one! Great job on these!

aktion035.gif
effutuo101
smilie_pokal.gif Very nice! K. gotta have one. wub.gif Where, how much.....
Demick
All I need is paint! I just haven't had time - and can't decide on how to paint it. It's going to be painted like one of the famous GT's, I just can't decide which one!

Demick
ClayPerrine
I have not had time to do anything with the 3 that we purchased. I have been working on the real thing.

djm914-6
I may have been wrong about the plowing problem. On linoleum (sp?) the car will rotate around it's inside tire. Pretty cool. I spent 5 minutes drifting around the kitchen. Now I'm on to paint two more bodies. The red will be a sister car to the white one but the pink one will be a 70's version of the Fast & Furious S2000.

I'll post build pics tomorrow. I needed to make a few mods for the 914 to sit right.
Scott S
DJjm -
I just wanted to pass on a very belated thanks for making these available - I fricken love it! Cant wait to get started on the thing. Never really been an RC guy, but after getting this and checking the other stuff that is available out there, I think I may have found a new hobby.

Thanks Again! beerchug.gif

Scott S
djm914-6
Scott, I'm happy to do it. If there's one thing I love it's to help people (spend their money). biggrin.gif

And here's the pics. I'll do my best to add some comentary.

front & rear bulkheads plus backbone

djm914-6
Not part if the Alfa's directions is the part than lengthens the chassis to fit the Porsche bodies. The part is included though.

djm914-6
completed chassis
djm914-6
where the extra part lives...
djm914-6
mounted body
djm914-6
rear
djm914-6
front
djm914-6
cut the posts. The direction say to add one set of clips below the body, but doing so makes the 914 ride too high. I uses some left over shock tubing cut to size.
djm914-6
front posts
djm914-6
I'm trying to post pics of a red shell I just finished stickering. I may need to wait till Monday so I can do it from work. For some reason, I can't post pictures from home. huh.gif
djm914-6
I can't seem to post pics anymore so for those signed up to RCZ, here's the latest bodies.

RC 914s

The GTeener car and 914GURL bodies are done.
Demick
Lookin' good! I'll post the pictures for you since you can't.

Demick
Demick
asdf
Demick
asdf
Demick
asdf
Kerrys914
NICE smilie_pokal.gif

Can't wait until I get some time to work on mine...
djm914-6
Thanks Demick. I wish I had gotten a better pic of the Stevie Nicks portrait. From these angles it looks pretty bad. Ok I'm not sure it looks that great anyway as you'd be hard pressed to tell who it is. The lace stripes don't show the depth that it should and the whole car shimmers as it's all irridescent paint. I had BCinSC film the test run. I'll post the video when I get it. Even stock this little car does pretty well. It really needs oil filled shocks or a front sway bar. There is a lot of body roll but the handling was very neutral. I think a faster motor would make it very entertaining.

djm914-6
One slightly imperfect car on ebay...
user posted image
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6018043317
rpmmaxxed
The white body is gorgeous, I dont care what ya say.

I hope to win the auction.
thomasotten
Are new ones still for sale?
GTeener
clap.gif Hey Cool! I don't know how I missed this thread. Thanks for the good work Dave! I've had fun chasing the dogs around the house with it smile.gif
djm914-6
Thanks for the kind words RPM. I tried to get the gray ghosting to show up in the pics, but it just wasn't happening. This body was for another customer, but when people pay my regular asking prices, I try my best to give them more than they ask for. Then again, I'm my own worst enemy most of the time.

thomasotten, I only have a couple left. I intend to keep one or two for myself and will be selling the others as prepainted. It's possable I will be making another order to Germany if things work out.

SLKWrx
Now that I see them, they look really nice. If you ever get another GB together, I'd be down for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.