what is the right price for a full efi set up for your type4
ECU
TB'S
SENSORS
8 FOOT OPEN END LOOM
INJECTORS
FUEL PUMP
AIR FILTER
we were told that it cost is to high to up grade to a stand alone 32 bitt ECU and all the parts to go with it .We would like some feed back to see if we can fix this miff
www.emeraldperformance.com

rhodyguy
welcome to the club bug man. many folks have been waiting for an update and pricing on your fuel injection system. tell us what you need the package to retail for, and you'll get feedback. you may remember me.

kevin powers (big K)
JeffBowlsby
what is the right price for a full efi set up for your type4
ECU
TB'S
SENSORS
8 FOOT OPEN END LOOM
INJECTORS
FUEL PUMP
AIR FILTER

Most 914 owners simply swapping their current D-Jet for a new system, for stock or nearly stock 914s, need it to be bolt on and drive. So we really dont need TBs, sensors, injectors, fuel pump or an air filter, we have these already and can get stock parts rather than having to buy or adapt GM parts or anything ported over from some other platform. These can add up to huge $$$, and unecessarily.

What we need is a preprogrammed ECU, with wiring harness prefit to or easily adapatable to our engines, and thats it. If its absolutely essential to swap sensors (if the ECU maps cannot be changed for instance), then I guess that can be done, but less hassle and the fewer mods we need to make, for us is better.

A programmable ECU would be best for the cars with modifications, but they should be preprogrammed for stock 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0L requirements out of the box, or come with the maps for the user to program as long as programming is not to difficult. Most of us don't need 50-gazillion options for ignition control, turbos, etc....there are other systems for those folks already.

Price? Sub 1K would be very nice and should sell well for the basic system described. The higher you get above 1K to convert to some other system, the more unreasonable it becomes.
JeffBowlsby
I just remembered, the TPS may be the one sensor we need to swap, becasue of the type TPS our cars come with and that they are becoming expensive and hard to find. The 1.7 and 1.8 cars TPS are NLA.

So figure to replace the TPS with a resistor type TPS.
bug man nrg
we have done the 914 with the stock sensor's .If you just need a ECU and a loom we can do this .we also have done a up grade to the stock plenum with a 65mm tb and tps and 23lb injector's in 2.0 runners and there is a progessive set up with the tb from a vw golf that is fitted to the stock plenum .if you check the web site www.emeraldperformance.com there is a lot of info on how EFI work on the info page my car is also on this site under project cars a 2054 turbo efi
ECU
coms
loom
injector's
maps
manual
$1375 + shipping
Are you a shop if so i will need your tax ID if you are in florida
redshift
ROFL! WOW!

M
Brando
$1375 for injection system alone?!

I don't think EFI systems will sell too well for our older cars until they are price-competetive with carbs!
DBCooper
Have you priced a new set of Webers lately? A 40 IDF kit with Brasilian carburetors is $1000 from CB, so that price isn't out of the ballpark, especially given the improvements you get with injection. And Emerald has a good reputation in the Lotus Seven world, by the way. I don't have personal experience, but several of the U.K. performance parts distributors/tuners sell it and it gets good reviews for value/performance.
Mark Henry
Does that price include the sensors (TPS, head temp, MPS, etc)?

Yep price new carbs...EFI is getting right in the ballpark but unless you are offering a BOLT on pre-programmed system most other systems are comparable. Also any maps other than bone stock on a fresh engine is no more than a baseline. Add 2.0, 1.8, 1.7., high performance and even just wear into the mix and your maps will need changing.

Not to mention that a large number of 914 owners are CSOB's wink.gif
lapuwali
The price of even new carbs are likely to fall soon-ish, as cheap Chinese made knockoffs are appearing. Used carbs with a rebuild kit are, IMHO, just as servicable, and the price of these are still pretty low. $250 for a set of carbs, $400 if it includes filters, linkage, manifolds.

$1400 is pretty much in line with a lot of other EFI ECUs. SDS is about that much once you get all the extras and sensors. MS is a lot cheaper, about $300 for a pre-built ECU, but you have to do more work yourself. Figure $500 by the time you have everything you really need to swap to it (assuming you have a D-Jet setup you can use for TB, manifolds, injectors, etc).

bug man nrg
this set up come with full running maps from cars that have been on the dyno they are not base maps .you will have to fine tune them to fit your engine spec ie if you have a type4 with 450cc injector's and the map is set up for 310's you will have to trim fuel so it will not run fat .No two engine are the same but it would be in the ball park
it will work with your OEM sensors
Brando
bug man, what kind of options would we have for custom programming? Say for engines geared for top-end with wild cams and such? We'd pretty much just need a dyno and some -- special software? EPROM reader/writer? USB + laptop???
bug man nrg
You have full control on timming and fuel air temp coolant temp map sensor and so on .YOU HAVE 100% CONTROL OF THE ENGINE for turbo or NA engine biggrin.gif have you looked at the web site i have a full brake down on how it all work's on the info page and the spec's on the ECU www.emeraldperformance.com and we have a FREE demo and manual in the down loads cool.gif
rhodyguy
would we be buying directly from you or would we have to deal with steve stromberg?

k
bug man nrg
You can get it from me or you can get it from steve .why? it is up to you . rolleyes.gif

DNHunt
Bug Man

Steve Stromberg's reputation here is a bit tarnished as in a pile of stromberg.gif. Check out the label on that clickable smile. We have reason to suspect his business practices.

Dave
TimT
We sell Haltech E6x systems for $!284 with a base map, sensors, and a flying lead kit, the map sensor and pickup config are additional.... since there are many possibilities with those

seemed like an appropriate thread for a shameless plug LOL
Mueller
what many of us are looking for is a plug-n-play solution to replace the stock FI electronics and controls....

not everyone needs or wants individual throttle bodies, it just drives up the cost..make it an add on option

I think you'll get more response with just the "basics"....an ECU with a pre-programmed MAP, a near-bolt on/plug in wiring harness and the needed sensors......

I ended up going with the LINK due to price since it was a few hundred less than the Haltech, if I was to do it again, I think I'd go with the Haltech due to more support..mind you the support for the LINK is not bad, it's just that there are more Haltech people in my area and more support on the web for them.

bug man nrg
we are workimg on a new loom for the 914 so it would be a plug an play the old loom in the car is aged and has problem's with parts of it being brittle
we are looking for a 914 in florida where we can run the new loom and a upgrade to the efi set up at a discount price to the owner rolleyes.gif

qa1142
I am game but in Chicago area. Are yo doing D Jet or L jet or both?

Mueller
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Sep 20 2005, 03:21 PM)
I am game but in Chicago area. Are yo doing D Jet or L jet or both?

shouldn't matter.....once you remove the air flow meter from your L-Jet, they are pretty darn close to being the same with regard to parts that can be kept (throttle body, injectors, sensors*)

*unless GM or new Bosch specific sensors are mandatory
bug man nrg
you can the stock sensor's with this unit .you do not need the mas air .you will use a map sensor that reads from the manifold cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.