Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lowered spindles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sean_v8_914
this solves 2 of my problems
1 I want to use my konis
2 I want to lower my ride height the right way

Jason at Prestige Motors just showed me this(and the entire PCA-SDR) 2 nights ago as a way to drop the ride height without adversly changing the suspension geometry.

I posted a FS/trade ad here to try to trade my Konis for Bilsteins and shadygrady has shown me this as a solution to use my Konis with teh 930 spindles

I am so glad 914clubers were here to club me over the head with the obvious solution to both problems. I hope this will benefit others. this is the easiest and most mechanically correct method

???how do I grind out the weld without a mill?
how
sean_v8_914
xcgfdx
sean_v8_914
xcgghc,
sean_v8_914
uho8y
Aaron Cox
one can only go so far before the wheel hits the a arm...

how much did you raise them?

looks bitchin smilie_pokal.gif

you can also bend UP the pitman arm to compensate even more...
sean_v8_914
I will drop mine one inch only
sean_v8_914
THANKS GRADY! smilie_pokal.gif
914werke
So Sean, more details. Are those 911 or 914 strut housing tubes? The spindal section appears to be off a 911..3.5"spacing and M calipers? How did you cut the stock weld? A Mill? How much did the process cost?
brer
put the whole strut assembly on a lathe and cut the welds, as i've been told.
I just looked at a car today that had this done.

The 911 RSR had about 17-18mm, but if you are running 16s or 17s you can go as much as 30mm before hitting the rim.

Another modification this fellow did was to cut the A arm and lengthen it 5/8" on each side.

when i get some links i'll post them.

sean_v8_914
shadygrady did the ones in teh picture
the tubes are 914/4 koni
the spindles are 911 that were removed from Bilstein 911 strut tubes
teh factory weld was under the circular re-weld shown in teh pic

Jason from Prestige used a mill to mill out the factory round weld
TimT
if you dont have a mill, use a hole saw. We drillout he rosette weld by holding the strut in a vise and using a drill press and hole saw to drill the weld out.

We then raise the spindle, reweld the rosette, and add some gussets to reinforce the strut

sean_v8_914
what do you gusset? what is teh weak part that requires gussets?
Verruckt
Nobody has mentioned this yet, but a fellow club member already does this modification and sells it..

user posted image

http://www.tangerineracing.com/Suspension.htm

This is the route I'm going to take. Also sells a nice way to lower the ass too.
ArtechnikA
if it's a factor, be sure to check your competition rules.
in many cases, any suspension change that requires welding or machining will move you directly to Modified, do not pass 'Go' do not collect $200...
sean_v8_914
I will be doing this on my V8 car, not the 2.0 CS class runner
J P Stein
Note the joggled pitman arm in the pics of Chris' work.
Don't forget that part. I have a set of raised spildles waiting till I figure how in hell to do that bit here at home......more tools $$$
There is a hella expensive kit from Smart Racing that will do it
for ya, but I'm not comfortable with it's stamina (there's a obtuse statement for ya biggrin.gif )

I got the parts from a guy that balled up his race car.....with no provisions for this feature.....go figure.
Brett W
You can't take the stock 914-4 spindles and cut the weld to slide it up. The four cylinder strut tubes are tapered to keep this from happening. You need to section and re-weld thetubes to shorten the four cylinder ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.