Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calling SBC people
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
dirt is in my jets, the "backyard method" mentioned on a few websites said to rev the car to around 3500RPM and slap your hand over the butterfly and its supposed to dislodge dirt from the jets....

how hard is this thing to take off, and clean out the jets? I hear the idle jet is near the back by the choke? (DFEV)

b
sean_v8_914
holley?
edelbrock?
Aaron Cox
why are you asking SBC guys???

weber DFEV is a pinto carb....

ive done the 'hand choke' on my IDF's, and it seemed to work
Cano
Britt:

The idle jets on the DFAV are accessable on the outside of the carb -- you do not need to dismantle it. Go to the Redline Weber website and check out the exploded parts diagram. There is one idle jet for the primary, and one for the seconday. Don't get the two mixed up.

Probably a better idea to dismantle, clean all jets and passages, and install new gaskets, float, diaphram, etc. If you really do have crap clogging a jet, I would also check the condition of your gas tank. Last thing you want to do is rebuild the carb and have it happen again as the tank is putting crap in the gas.
bd1308
looks like i'll be pulling the parts car tank to have it boiled out...
bd1308
it's a weber...

pinto carb,

aaron i didnt want to start the duals are better than SBCs thing again, i just want to get my car going again.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Cano @ Sep 20 2005, 10:27 AM)
Britt:

The idle jets on the DFAV are accessable on the outside of the carb -- you do not need to dismantle it. Go to the Redline Weber website and check out the exploded parts diagram. There is one idle jet for the primary, and one for the seconday. Don't get the two mixed up.

Probably a better idea to dismantle, clean all jets and passages, and install new gaskets, float, diaphram, etc. If you really do have crap clogging a jet, I would also check the condition of your gas tank. Last thing you want to do is rebuild the carb and have it happen again as the tank is putting crap in the gas.

take that puppy apart and clean everything.

you'll be glad u did.

that old "put yer hand over the carb while it's runnin" thing is good only sometimes and tends to get stuff stuck even harder in the jets. and it floods yer engine in the process.

buy an edelbrock. everything is accessible from the top and does not need to be removed.
bondo
I think you're misusing an acronym.. SBC stands for "Small Block Chevy" (V8). I'm pretty sure that ain't what ya got in your 914...

Spell it out!
bd1308
Single Barrel Carb

i've seen it used here many times during the single carb sucks tirades
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 20 2005, 01:01 PM)
Single Barrel Carb

i've seen it used here many times during the single carb sucks tirades

you are still incorrect smile.gif

that is a single dual barrel (venturi) carb

the European 1.8 had twin single venturi carbs and I guess some bugs over here in the US had 'em also

bd1308
well whatever I HAVE A PROGRESSIVE WEBER "PINTO CARB"

help me out....i just need to get home without going super lean....i am around 6 turns out ont he fuel adjustment screw with no change in function....there is dirt somewhere in the jets....should i try the backyard trick?
Rouser
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 20 2005, 05:12 PM)
....should i try the backyard trick?

OK, ya got me there; what's "The Backyard Trick?"

Wasn't this carb rebuilt before it was installed? What, no new air/fuel filters included?

Get a rebuild kit ...
bd1308
read the thread man, it's at the top....

backyard method for unclogging jets: rev car to 3500RPM or higher if you can, take you palm and slap the carb top (venturi) and then the sudden extreme vaccuum will hopefully unclog the jet and subsequently flood the engine....
phantom914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 20 2005, 01:46 PM)

backyard method for unclogging jets: rev car to 3500RPM or higher if you can, take you palm and slap the carb top (venturi) and then the sudden extreme vaccuum will hopefully unclog the jet and subsequently flood the engine....

.....or it will suck you into the engine. blink.gif

Andrew
Rouser
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 20 2005, 05:46 PM)

Sorry, I missed that post.

Again, just rebuild the carb and be SURE it's up-to-snuff, unless you'd prefer hickies on the palms of your hands. blink.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rouser @ Sep 20 2005, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Sep 20 2005, 05:46 PM)

Sorry, I missed that post.

Again, just rebuild the carb and be SURE it's up-to-snuff, unless you'd prefer hickies on the palms of your hands. blink.gif

a rebuild kit is cheap...

buy 2 fuel filters also.... one before the pump, and one before the carb(s)
rhodyguy
hahahaha. ok, just so you know. single, (as 1), carbs are bad. dual single throat carbs, as in 1 venturi per carb (there are 2 carbs), are ok in the correct application. same solar system, different orbits. the crap plugging the jets is already too large for those tiny holes. you think a bit more vaccum is going pull a piece of rock through a small hole in a brass tube? let us know how it works out for you. man.

bad anglish. the single weber, 2 barrel, progressive carb, is the wrong application on a 914. they work great on 74 datsun pickups.

k
Dr. Roger
Of course there is beauty in simplicity.

when i had my '63 Ghia i ran a single and that went and went.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Sep 20 2005, 03:14 PM)

And then you got a masculine car and lost yer purse.... wink.gif
rhodyguy
that is one cool avatar mike. very cool. i'm going to load it on the computers in my wifes 3rd grade classroom.

k
d7n7master
So, U wanna clean your carb? ohmy.gif
Without taking the carb apart you (may) be able to simply put the carb in a
Ultra-Sonic Cleaner filled with HOT water and a little bit of high ph soap, & watch what happens when you flip the switch.
The dirt & crap just falls off as it is vibrated & cleaned all at the same time.
Rinse with Cold water and dry with compressed air.
--------
I've used this method on the 2 barrel carb on the omc 4.3 in my boat as
well as friends boats & cars with different carbswith great results.
Try that first. U might B surprised smile.gif
beer.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE ("Z" @ Sep 20 2005, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Sep 20 2005, 03:14 PM)

And then you got a masculine car and lost yer purse.... wink.gif

F*cking A Mike.~!!!! U got that right.
350+HP 914 works for me.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.