Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
And what would this be worth if anything?
Crazyhippy
Will 130HP do what you want to do? Or will you get bored w/ the performance and want more in short order?

The car wasn't origianlly a 6, so there's no point (beyond trying to buid a replica) in staying w/ a 2.0 6.
I'm from the have more hp than you need school (never heard somone say they wish they had less HP) so the 2.0 six isn't very valuable to me.

My half a Nickle (damned inflation headbang.gif )

BJH
Aaron Cox
is it worth the cost of a conversion and upkeep for THAT motor???

130 hp?? thats a hot 2056 TIV with a header..... and no special oil tanks, or engine mounts required...
jd74914
I think you guys are forgetting that everything is based on cost. That said, I don't know how much its worth (I would say probably about 2K running, maybe. We got a 2.2E for 800 not running so I really don't know)
Crazyhippy
To me it's not even a cost based issue. That motor for free is not worth my trouble to install, as 130 HP is not enough for my tastes boldblue.gif biggrin.gif

That is assuming the motor is being installed as is, and not re-built 1st, if it's being re-built ($$$) it gets even worse, because between the purchase and rebuild, you could probably find a later model motor with more power (more displacement too) for the same $$$

If 130 HP is enough, a healthy type IV would be better IMHO, the only thing that would guide ME to that motor is if I HAD to have a -6 and stay on the cheap.

BJH
Mike D.
That is the exact motor that I have in my '74. I got it because that is what was available. Can't really say what I paid for it because I got it with a '73 car and all the conversion parts, and misc other parts. PO knew the engine was rebuilt however thought it was a 2.7 because of the green shroud. I did end up having to reseal a head gasket. Down side is the 6 bolt lower valve covers and 7 bolt chain covers. No matter what I do I cannot seem to get one side to stop leaking oil. Although not a lot, but still annoying as it drips right on the header.

I love the engine in the car, the short stroke really revs up and sounds good. However, I have already purchased a 2.7 to rebuild, chasing HP of course.

I was going to ask $2000 for mine when I am finished with the 2.7 build...(whenever that may be)

-Mike D.

jd74914
I want to also say that I personally love the sound and feel of an early small displacement 6. You can always build one up with higher compression, larger p&c's, etc. The factory got over 160hp without twin plugs with the S, anyone else can do the same. Parts are readily available.

To most people though, a small 6 is a waste of time. I think I'm in the minority. cool.gif
Porsche Rescue
Does the '68 have the aluminum case? If so, that is the preferred case (stronger than the mag. case of '69 and later) for building a race motor. I once had an aluminum case 2.5, built as Bruce Anderson describes in his book, 2.7 p&c's, stock 2.0 66mm crank. It was a great motor. I liked it as well as the 2.7 I now have in my track car. Either is a whole lot more fun than the stock 2.0 six in "Ida". However, even "Ida" is a lot more fun than a 2.0 stock four.
pete-stevers
what is the purpose of the engine a road car, or a vintage race car, if it is a road car why not purchase something of bigger displacement, 2.7s are cheap enough, as long as no rebuild is necessary....if it is a vinatge race car you are going to rebuild any way......but i do like the idea of a hypo small displacement motor,but what is the cost of building it up...... a question might be....why was the motor taken out of the previous car
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Sep 20 2005, 04:24 PM)
....why was the motor taken out of the previous car

says it came from a parts car. considering the heat exchangers are basically disintegrating where they sit this seems plausible.

but you have to be a little careful with someone who thinks the fan shroud casting number is anything like the engine number...

there were but two 911's in 1968 - the base model, which was about a T with 110HP and the 911L with a bit more. if they're claiming this was 130HP engine, the Type number should match up with a 911L (901/14, if i am reading the chart correctly.

an aluminum case makes for a very nice base but no 2,0 engine came with piston squirters...
goose2
I won't enter into the debate over whether it's a good powerplant for a 914 or not...that's purely subjective. However, I can tell you that last spring I sold an early 2.0 aluminum case motor ('68) as a CORE to a collector/restorer for $1300. It had decent compression but was in otherwise unknown condition. This was without the Webers, which can go for 1-1.5K by themselves with manifolds and linkage.
Joe Bob
I have a 901/02 block....a real ive "S" motor with 160hp.....fun, I also have a 2.2....with like what...130ish, then a 3,6....290+....I appreciate each one for it's idiosyncracies.....

The 2.0 for it's buzzy and peaky, 2.2....less buzzy with more torque, the 3.6...OMYGOD......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.