Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve cover weeps oil...sealant needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Okay, seems I have some oil leaking from the valve covers. The engine has new valve covers and seals. Installed dry. One thing I did notice -- and this may be the issue -- is that it appears that the valve covers were spray painted black. The entire cover. Would this [thin] paint compromise the integrity of the seal? I have the necessary tools to remove the paint if that's the issue. Or do the seals need Gas-A-Cinch or other sealant on them? If so, which side (head side or cover side)?

TIA again!
Tobra
I was advised by a Porsche mechanic friend of mine that the gasket cinch would be helpful. I would not put it on the head side. Used to use a bit of grease on the type 1 motor in the Super Beetle to accomplish the same thing,hold gasket in place whie cover is installed.
rhodyguy
cork or rubber gaskets? check the edges and see if they are bent or deformed. the covers i had coated recently had a hard black finish on the inside. laquer thinner had no effect. the guy that did the blasting said it was pretty though. vw emblem on the inside, upside down?

k
Joseph Mills
On my cork gaskets I use Permatex Hight Tack Gasket Sealent on the valve cover side only of the gasket. Let the sealent set up for about 5 minutes before fitting the gasket to the valve cover.

My covers are coated with a glossy epoxy paint finish.

Not a single leak yet. rolleyes.gif

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Sep 22 2005, 09:41 AM)
cork or rubber gaskets? check the edges and see if they are bent or deformed. the covers i had coated recently had a hard black finish on the inside. laquer thinner had no effect. the guy that did the blasting said it was pretty though. vw emblem on the inside, upside down?

k

The tab on the cover goes on the bottom. The bails curve UP from their pins. Use Gasgacinch on the gasket AND the cover, and let it air dry before slapping them together. Use the rubber impregnated gaskets. CLEAN the sealing surface of the heads. The Cap'n
Air_Cooled_Nut
Yes, VW upside down...I remember reading that here.

Rubber gaskets. On my VW I use the cork ones and that are great!

Hmm...I'll take the valve covers off, clean, and refit the seals with GAC as described above to keep them from slipping. Now that the engine is in the car removing those valve covers, and putting the bail back on, is gonna be a pain sad.gif

Thanks beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Sep 22 2005, 10:18 AM)
Yes, VW upside down...I remember reading that here.

Rubber gaskets. On my VW I use the cork ones and that are great!

Hmm...I'll <uhg&#33;> take the valve covers off, clean, and refit the seals with GAC as described above to keep them from slipping. Now that the engine is in the car removing those valve covers, and putting the bail back on, is gonna be a pain sad.gif

Thanks beerchug.gif

If the bails are installed correctly, thyey swing down and the covers come right out. If they're upside down, the covers won't clear them, and the correct pressure won't be applied to the covers. The Cap'n
rhodyguy
while changing a gasket out on the side of the road, i spent about 15 min trying to work/fight around the tire. took off the tire and i was done with the vc in 2 minutes.

k
Michael J
I cleaned the covers and replaced the gaskets with cork and added a very thin layer of copper gasket sealer. But @!$&* it still leaked. Got it up on the jack stands and found it was the push rod tubes that were leaking but running down and dripping off the bottom of the valve cover.
SGB
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 22 2005, 01:14 PM)

The tab on the cover goes on the bottom. The bails curve UP from their pins. Use Gasgacinch on the gasket AND the cover, and let it air dry before slapping them together. Use the rubber impregnated gaskets. CLEAN the sealing surface of the heads. The Cap'n

I've never used "gasacinch". Does it not stick (residue wise) to the inside of the cover if you let it dry? I never had leaks- until after I overfilled the case by misreading the dipstick halfway through a long trip. I've only ever seen cork gaskets... and I'll check to make sure the bails are on right. Anyway, the time I got the leak the gasket was curved up inward toward the valve chamber- and the replacement I got also wanted to bow in. I think the bearing grease idea might address this. Of course, so will that gasacinch stuff- who makes that anyway?
Air_Cooled_Nut
The GAC worked like a charm, thanks for the tip! While I was at the import part store buying all new hoses I bought the cork gaskets and installed them. The oil was indeed coming from the valve covers.

Removing the bails looked difficult but I found that my reallllllllly long screwdriver (12" or so and fat!) worked great at prying the bails off (down) and on (up). After I removed the heat exchanger air inlet and lower duct (the one w/the cable actuated flap).

Oh yeah, all new hoses in the engine, including the front fuel emission ones!
rhodyguy
more good results. drive on man!! burnout.gif

k
Air_Cooled_Nut
Check out my blog and you'll see where I put my fuel pump...in the engine bay icon8.gif The blog entry explains why. Hey, at least there's all new hoses throughout! Does that yang the yin of the fuel pump location idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.