Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: more CV questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Two questions;

1. which side should the "ridged" side of the ball cage face when installed? towards the axle or away? I think it is away from the axle but I didn't take a good enough 'before' picture to tell (oops).

2. One of the used joints I bought in Ventura is different than the others. It has larger balls and a lot more axial travel than the rest. It shows some wear but not extreme spalling like on the ones I am replacing. Is this a rebuilt joint? Is more axial play normal in rebuilt joints?

Thanks in advance for any help. biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
I believe they go away from the axle. I too have found a couple CV's with different cage and ball sizes, my guess they are rebuilt units - and yes lots of play.
mightyohm
The joint is still fairly "tight", nowhere as loose as the ones I am replacing. I think I'll put it on and see what happens.
burnout.gif

TravisNeff
These were better than the ones I replaced, but still not that great, so far so good!
SirAndy
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Sep 23 2005, 12:13 AM)
I believe they go away from the axle.

i dis-agree ...

the "ridge" side of the inner race is what slides on the axle shaft, the flat side faces towards the outside where the clip goes ...
smash.gif Andy
914werke
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
mightyohm
Andy are you talking about the inner race or the cage that retains the balls?

I am referring to the cage - the thing that goes in between the two races.

Wish I had taken a pic last night. Will take one tonight.
bondo
When working on multiples of things, never have all of them apart at once. smile.gif

This is especially important when working on drum brakes, something we fortunately don't have to worry about on the 914.
dmenche914
small balls may indicate a VW CV joint. What size balls do you have??? HA HA HA. Small balls in the correct CV should be no problem, although the load rating might be less. I had a mix of small balled and large balled CV's on one 914, niether one gave any problems driving a stockish 1.7 car.

good luck
Grimstead
Jeff,
My engine & tranny are out if you want me to take some pictures of my CV's.

Just let me know.
SirAndy
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Sep 23 2005, 10:03 AM)
I am referring to the cage - the thing that goes in between the two races.

uhm, my cage dosn't have ridges. it's symmetrical ...

confused24.gif Andy
mightyohm
Here are the ridges. The other side is smooth.

Ignore the fact that the center race is installed upside down.
SirAndy
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Sep 23 2005, 06:55 PM)
Here are the ridges. The other side is smooth.

ok, i'm looking at my 944 CVs as we speak and the cage has no ridges on either side. perfectly smooth ...

confused24.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Sep 23 2005, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Sep 23 2005, 06:55 PM)
Here are the ridges.  The other side is smooth.

ok, i'm looking at my 944 CVs as we speak and the cage has no ridges on either side. perfectly smooth ...

confused24.gif Andy

i think jeffs are 914/4 confused24.gif
914werke
I just chked my /4 CV/s that I had dissasembled and shor' nuf, I see what jeff is describing but danm if I can see what differance it would make? confused24.gif
mightyohm
These are 914-4. I think the inner race only fits into the cage from the ridged side, because the opening is a little larger. So there is a difference...

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Sep 22 2005, 10:38 PM)
Two questions;

1. which side should the "ridged" side of the ball cage face when installed? towards the axle or away? I think it is away from the axle but I didn't take a good enough 'before' picture to tell (oops).

2. One of the used joints I bought in Ventura is different than the others. It has larger balls and a lot more axial travel than the rest. It shows some wear but not extreme spalling like on the ones I am replacing. Is this a rebuilt joint? Is more axial play normal in rebuilt joints?

Thanks in advance for any help. biggrin.gif

In the remaining pile of CVs here at the shop, there's a mix of large and small sizes. As I recall, the new ones I sold last spring were the same way. Could be from different production runs. Porsche calls Lobro and asks for thickness, spline count, and OD. As long as the degree of angular movement is sufficient, the actual design doesn't really matter. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.