Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Purchase advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Okay, I live in PA. I am looking for a 914. Body in good shape, engine I don't care much about as I intend on rebuilding it with one of the MassIVe kits in it.

I found a car, located only 10 miles or so from me. It is supposd to be in very good shape. I have not gone to see it yet, but have been assured that there is no rust in the longs, battery tray, around the windows and doors, or any of the other places that the car usually gets rot. Its also got fresh paint, tires, rear shocks, vg interior and a running engine (with deltoro carbs). The guy wants 6500 for the car, and in the pics, its a very nice looking car.

Assuming the car is as cherry as he says it is, is it worth the price.

I had been intending to find a cheaper car (3K or 4K) and modify it. Fenders, new paint, stiffer body, more or less resto on a frame that was already in very good shape rust wise. I suppose I could do it on this car, but it seems a waste on a car that is already well sorted. I know that in the long run this is the more expensive option. But int he short run, I don't have to go into debt at all to get started.

But to find most cars with good frames and bodies means buying from SoCal, or some other place 3000+ miles away from me, where I would need to ship it cross country... I don't know how expensive cross country shipping is, but I would imagine it is at ~ $2000. Can anyone give me clues on cross country shipping?

So, my delemma is this. Do I buy a well kept local car for more money, or go cheaper and pay to ship and restore.

I look forward to your responces, and hope to be joining the ranks as an owner soon.

Zach
SGB
unsure.gif
It could be a good buy... I f i t i s about
P u r f e c t.
I would prolly ask that for mine, but I might not get it. Even though it is totally sorted, reliable, smooth, etc. And I've prolly done al least $4k in upgrades/ replacement on my original $5K purchase (its all there, all that stuff). So if it is gonna cost 6500, it's gotta be drivable for several years before any big expense is justified.
Its funny. I see this both ways. $6500 is CHEAP for a car that provides what a 914 does, if thats what you are into, but the market, well.....
redshift
We don't know how much shipping costs today, but when fuel costs were 66% of what I paid day before yesterday (prices went up 10-12% yesterday, here) it was abour $1500 from California, to Savannah, Ga.

California cars deserve a look. The cars cost half as much, and maybe even WAY less, in the long (itudinal) run.

smile.gif

I made a funny.

M
Bleyseng
agree.gif

but the days of $1500 sweet one owner Socal cars is gone. Buy the best damn car you can find for your project.
SLKWrx
Vacca,

I actually just went through the exact same search. I live in NJ and finding a decent car around here for cheap is nearly impossible. East coast cars just don't hold up, and any car you find on the other coast, you can't inspect yourself, and you have to tack on shipping charges.

I actually found one from another board member in incredible shape for a very reasonable price. The problem is that its in such nice shape that my dream of doing flares is out. I can't bear to cut up a car in this good of shape. For right now, I'm completing the interior, finishing off the engine swap, and I'm going to enjoy driving it for a while.

I'd say if its 6500 and well sorted, at the point where you can get in and drive it, enjoy the hell out of it, drive it like it should be driven, and do your upgrades at a reasonable pace. You can do the stiffening at your leisure, but you can at least have one up on the guys around here.. your car won't be on jackstands from day 1.

Anyways.. can't wait to see another teener in Pa
-- Steve
turbo914v8
If you can find a local car that is not rusted in the usual places and is less of a project I would get it. It’s always better to spend a little more cash and start with a solid frame. The added advantage of a local car is that you can inspect it personally. You would not believe what nasty and deceptive things people will do to sell a car. Unfortunately I live in rust country and was unable to find something locally so I had to invest in the time, travel, cost to go out of state. A trip to inspect, a trip to pick it up. A big hassle at the border. The sad thing is that still after all my efforts; I still have 914 with minor rust issues. But I got it for a great price. Best of luck with your search.

Kerrys914
Sounds like you don't need a $6000+ car. As you indicated you are looking for a $3000 car. Since you are looking to do a Rabby conversion no sence buying a complete and restored car (The $6000+ car better be a "complete and needing very very little" car)

Keep you eye open here and you'll find a car. Welcome to the board and now you have alot of eyes looking out for a ya.

Have a local club member go with you to look at the car. The guys that have spent years around these cars have seem every way to hide rust and KNOW what to look for.

I take NO rust to mean NO rust you can see wink.gif Until you have a chance to poke around smash.gif smash.gif

Tobra
Sometimes no rust means just that. I have not been able to find any rust or rot on mine and have had a few weeks to crawl under and through it. start with the best body you can find. If it is already clean and nicely painted, buy it and drive it.
VaccaRabite
Haha. Pretty even 50/50 split on this, half saying jump, half saying hold.

I guess for the moment I am leaning towards hold. I did get really excited about a 914 that I would not have to pay the shipping for, though.

Zach

blitZ
You can always make an offer, just because they are asking 6500, doesn't mean they won't take less. How long has it been on the market? Doesn't cost anything to negotiate. You can always walk away and leave them your number if they change their mind.
bmcwilli
Inspect Inspect Inspect

I find it hard to believe that a PA car isn't rusty, unless it's a few owner garage queen.

I bought an 86 Vangon Syncro from Philly (it's galvanized, the 914 you're studying is not). Discoverd RUST.

I bought a NINETY ONE 964 from Philly. Bubbles Bubbles. This was the one car of the 5 I have bought on ebay that was not honestlt represented. I took a bath on it and traded it for a van for my business.

My 74 2.0 lived all its life in SoCal (I shipped it to NC). Paid 5G's, 5 years ago, and feel it was a decent value. Way better to by the car from a dry state.

Be very careful with a PA car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.