Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWnDRAG
Hey, Hi everyone. I'm a newbie. Joined this morning but have had the car since 1983. Its a 75 1.8 - white. I found this site a couple weeks ago after hitting the tire store. blink.gif I guess they dont make 165SR15's any more. But, thats a question for another day. Riviera rim rub. What I need to take care of first is the engine pad. Does anybody know what's the best adhesive to use? I've never been able to get a good bond that lasts. It's starting to peel again on the dirvers side and only being held up by the fan hose. confused24.gif
Thanks.
Tom

SirAndy
QUOTE (VWnDRAG @ Sep 23 2005, 05:36 PM)
I've never been able to get a good bond that lasts.

if you can live without the added noise reduction, i'd rip it out.

they're a moisture trap and usually, after all these years, the firewall is pretty much rusted through at the bottom of the pad on almost all cars i have seen ...

no idea on the adhesive tho ...

oh, and welcome to the club!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Joe Bob
3M spray adhesive....appbiz on ebay and at Pelican makes a replacement pad...he cut one from an oem one I had a few years back.
Tobra
Mine is missing the plastic washer/screw deal to secure this, anyone know of one from another application to use there?
McMark
QUOTE (Tobra @ Sep 23 2005, 05:12 PM)
Mine is missing the plastic washer/screw deal to secure this, anyone know of one from another application to use there?

NAPA has a product in their Balkamp line. It has a "christmas tree" with a large face. Works really well.
jniemeier
I glued my pad in a couple years ago with Wurth Spray Adhesive. I think 3M Super Adhesive would be another good option. Mine has stayed perfectly in place with the Wurth spray. Those round plastic christmas tree retainer deals are available in the hardware drawers at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Our store had several sizes.
driving.gif Jim N.
'73 2.0
Allan
If your talking about the pad in the engine bay, I got rid of mine... Found BAD rust at the bottom of it. I'm gonna deal with the sound INSIDE the passenger compartment with either Fatmat or the stuff somebody else recommended for roofing....
smg914
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive 08001. It comes in a tube and really works great. Would probably work best if you would clean the old glue off with mineral spirts before you apply the new adhesive.
Rand
I'm with Andy. I don't want that extra moisture-trapping weight riding in my car.

But then again I enjoyed having the rear window out too. What was that? Can you yell that a little louder?

Elliot_Cannon
Take the engine pad out and throw it away. Use Dynamat or something like it. Deadens the noise and don't collect moisture. Use it on both sides of the firewall.
Elliot
Rand
I've been looking at paint-on sound deadeners. I was thinking along the lines of bedliner stuff... Herculiner, LineX, Rhino, etc....

Elliot, thanks for mentioning Dynamat. I'm interested in products like this. Also saw QuietCoat. Any others?

Hope I'm not hijacking... hijacked.gif

I'm of the camp that doesn't want layered-on junk. If you add anything, it needs to be sealed to the metal like a paint that prevents rust instead of trapping it.

Dominic
Dynamat Super works good. I did this to my car a few years back.
Tobra
I was actually thinking dynamat might be a better choice. My pad is in good shape without rust, but it seems like inside the bulkhead would be a better place, particularly after I seal the back window with my butyl tape I got today.
VWnDRAG
Thanks for all the suggestions. I give the 3M stuff a try. I'll just really build up a nice layer this time. I had the pad out for a while a couple years ago. Little rust. Took care of that. Put it back in. It really makes a difference with the engine noise though. Dynamat is a great idea also. Would probably go that route if my pad was damaged. Otherwise, I like to keep her as stock as possible. Plus, now she only gets wet when I wash her.
wub.gif
Ahhh, if I could even find some gasoline from 1975............. laugh.gif
Sorry, daydreaming again.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.