Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Install front bearings and attach hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
This is a step-by-step instruction to install new bearings in the front hubs and attach the hubs to the car. I am going to make the assumption that you have already purchased new hubs or removed all of the seals and bearing from the old hub and had it checked for correct thickness and trueness. My recommendation is to purchase new hubs/discs.

When you get the bearings, remove the race and place them in a freezer. This will slightly shrink the race, so that you can start the installation of the bearings into the hub.
watsonrx13
This is what the back side of the hub looks like before the race/bearing is installed. I like to lightly rub some 600 grit wet-dry, where the bearings are going to be seated, just to clean up any burs or flash rust.You'll notice the shelf/lip. The race needs to be flush against this lip. Also note that the small opening goes in first.
watsonrx13
I used the hammer to carefully tap the race down to the top of the hub. Then I used the driver to carefully tap the race until it was fully seated against the lip.
watsonrx13
This shows how I used the driver to seat the race.
watsonrx13
This shows the race fully seated.
watsonrx13
Next, I flipped the hub over. Again, you'll notice the lip. There are 2 different sizes of race/bearings. The small bearing goes on the outside/front, the larger, on the inside/back.
watsonrx13
Again, I removed the frozen race and set it in the hub. I used the hammer to tap the race down to the top of the hub.
watsonrx13
I then used a 1 1/8" deep socket to carefully press the race into place. The 1 1/8" socket is just slightly larger than the inner diameter of the race, but slightly smaller that the diameter of the hub.
watsonrx13
This shows the outside race fully seated.
watsonrx13
Here's where the front hub attaches to the steering spindle.
watsonrx13
I'm holding the large bearing. The next step is to completely pack the bearing with grease by hand. Take your time and make several passes, pressing the grease into all of the crevices, including the inner and outer edges.
watsonrx13
Once the bearing is filled with grease, place this large one in the back of the hub, where the race was previously installed.
watsonrx13
This shows the seal that will be pressed in the hub to hold the large bearin in place. BTW, this is the back side of the seal.
watsonrx13
This shows the seal in place.
watsonrx13
Throughout the installation, I have worn gloves. The gloves keep any moisture or oils from getting on the new metal, thus minimizing any flash rust. Next, place the hub onto the spindle. I used a small piece of wood to hold the hub in place until I was ready to install the nut.
watsonrx13
This shows the slotted washer and nut that will be attached to the spindle. Now I packed the small bearing with grease. Again, get as much in the cracks as you can.
watsonrx13
Attach the slotted washer and the nut. Please take note, the threads are opposite on each side. The driver's side has reverse threads, therefore, the nuts will only fit on one side. Next, tighten the nut with a cresent wrench while rotating the disc. When the disc starts to bind, loosen the nut by 1/2 turn. Spin the disc several times to make certain that it is not binding anywhere. Next tighten the clamping nut with an allen wrench.
watsonrx13
Finally, smear some grease on the nut and install the grease cap by gently tapping with a rubber hammer. Don't add any grease to the cap.

Here's a link to my website for other steps I've taken to restore this car.

BTW, this is my 1000th post...
Brando
Yay! Nice how-to! clap.gif
SpecialK
Most excellent pictorial! smilie_pokal.gif But you left out the most important part of any "job gone right"........treat yourself to an ice cold beer, you earned it! beer.gif
Brando
I like any walkthrough that has "Step 3: Have a beir" beer.gif
messix
i don't know about any one else out there, but i've had enough with you stuck up, clean freak, show off, pinky lifting, guys with eat off of clean fender wells, and shiney struts, and garage floors that look like it was poured yesterday.

we all know that ins't real life. lets see some real garage shots with 90 weight stains on the floor, some parts that are as dirty as stromberg.gif and some general garage clutter.
URY914
Rob,

You're a regular Bob Villa of the 914 World. Great job.

Paul
jet1
Classic! clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.