Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: costs money to go fast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Triaddave
O.K. so i built this big four banger. a 2.4 l,big bore four. all the goodies,rad cam,big valves,dual springs,103mm pistons on stock stroke rods.lightened flywheel and 44idf webers. the engine wouldn't run on the 50 mains, but the 60's seemed to make it screem. and screems it does! great low end tork and the top end comes up fast.
the engine is great, but the mileage sucks. i put 8 gals for a day at the race track.usually plenty for the drive up and back, two drivers with fun runs. so hear it is, low on fuel at 100 miles! less than 10 to the gal,more like 8 something. do i have a issue going on? the engine seems to run like a raped ape,but i expected a bit more on the mileage dept. any ideas?
bd1308
isnt there a main between 50 and 60?

try that confused24.gif
Triaddave
sure there is, like 55's. i was limited to what i had in stock. but i'm not sure that the mains are the problem.i'll pull out the plugs today to see how they are burning. i did have a issue before race day with the manifolds coming loose at the heads,fixed.
bd1308
i figured that isnt the solution.......

b
dmenche914
14 mpg in a 3.8 liter V6 powered 914 with Holley 4160 headers, cam, and a slightly heavy foot.

J P Stein
I went thru about 3 gal in 10 passes at an SCCA AX practice event....and ran out on that 10th.
rhodyguy
hard charging dave. i bet with regular driving you would see better mileage such as on the freeway. i think i get in the upper 20's on the freeway just cruising. zipping around town in 3rd results in $40 fillups on a regular basis. you may have to install a bung on the final someplace and run an 02 sensor/gauge to figure where the A/F mixture is at.

k
Aaron Cox
Dave - what are some specs on the motor?

bore/stroke etc
redshift
Bigger than your's.. all you need to know.

tongue.gif

M
rhodyguy
103x71 aa. a bit of confusion. you mean 50 & 60 on the idles? pull the main stack and check the numbers on the main jets, should read 1xx something, air correction and the emulsion tubes also.

k
olav

I get about the same gas mileage too.

55 idle and I forget my mains.

Goes like stink though.

If I drive in 5th everywhere I can get 200 out of a tank.
Brando
Triaddave... did you forget you have a 5th gear? lol2.gif

I can believe that low of mileage on a 2.4... Do you drive it in the high RPMs all the time? With the 44s open all the way, you really can flow a lot of air/fuel through there. If you keep it at 3000 - 3400 rpms when crusing you should see a lot better mileage.

Your motor sounds hot... I need new undies.
rhodyguy
+, must be 100miles round trip just driving to bremerton and back. they run quite long courses at bremerton, with lots of 2nd gear. 2 drivers=6 passes (minimum) + fun runs. wide, sticky ax tires. long line ups and idling if you don't shut it down. a bit of stop and go from your place to I-5. it adds up. not surprising that the milage seems low.

k
URY914
I use to go through gallons and gallons of gas when I did track events.

I mean you're on the gas to the floor or on the brakes to the floor.

What's want? confused24.gif
rhodyguy
the triad crew are all "on throttle" all the time.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.