Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 cyl alternator mount question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2teeners
is there a special nut that holds the alternator to the frame, under the cooling shroud? I have a plastic duct that attaches to the 6 bolts coming through the alternator and frame and normal nuts would smoosh the plastic at a torque tight enough to hold the fan from scaping it's frame. and the threads don't stick out far enough for a double nut and lower torque.

The engine is an early 70's 2.2, if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated. clap56.gif
tryan
do a search on the birdy 911 board. you need to get the alt tight into the mount. there are variations on size for the external vs internal reg.
Brian_Boss
I'm sure the 911 board would tell you everything you need but I'll just add:

1) the alternator should be a snug, almost press fit in the shroud so not much, if any, torque should be required to prevent fan blade contact with the shroud.

2) the nuts should be self locking type

3) I believe only three of the six mounting bolts/studs go through the plastic air guide. The other three are only through the alt and the fan shroud. I know this is true on the later cars but I can't remember about the early ones.

Hope this is of some help.

Brian Boss

P.S. where are you in DFW? I am east Dallas near Whiterock lake.
2teeners
There aren't 3 longer threads sticking out, nor cutouts for the nuts on the shroud, so I'm going to assume and go with six nuts on the alternator, then the shroud over those, and then come up with 2 or 3 nuts that will reach below the level of the shroud to the available threads. These won't need much torque to hold that in place.

That makes more sense to me than putting the plastic variable into the mounting setup, with very little clearance between the fan and it's shroud. I tried that first, and when I mounted the belt, the fan rubbed big time.

But, Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd prefer not to have to pull it all out again to make a correction later.

Nice to find another "local". I live near trader's village and my teeners are in Midlothian. Do you get down this way much? We need to do a get together, after all, we have "Hooters" here too! wink.gif

Paul
tryan
if your fan is rubbing, it is not seated all the way. a little tap with a rubber mallet may be in order. i'll search pelican and see if i can find the thread.
tryan
here's the thread. look for jim sims post
2teeners
tryan, the link isn't working. I tried to redo your search "fan shroud rubbing" but couldn't find a Jim sims.
I only searched the "911 technical forum, is it elsewhere? I even tried to put the thread # in directly, but no luck. I guess I'm a rube.

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf wavey.gif

Paul

PS ahhhhh, forget the above, I got it! I'll look it over.
Brian_Boss
OK - I think this link should work:

Sims post link

With regard to your idea of putting the air guide on the outside of the nuts then more nuts, I would be concerned that it would cause the guide to hit the main cooling shroud.

I still think your problem is that the alt is not seating fully in the fan housing. I would try tapping it in with a soft faced hammer or using the nuts to snug it up on the bench before install (without the air guide). Then remove the nuts and install the air guide.

BTW, do you ever attend any Maverick PCA events?
2teeners
I just finished putting it back together, I ended up mounting the alternator with 4 nuts and the air director with 2. I put the air director flush on the facing, but clearanced for the nuts so it would sit flush. Then I held the air director on with the last two nuts, locktite, and flat washers. Unless the air director vibrates loose (don't know if it could go anywhere anyway) I should be good.

Maybe not factory, but it works for me. My air director, it looks like, had been installed with no washers (probably because there wasn't a lot of thread available) and was wallowed to a 45deg angle around the nuts, so there wasn't much to push against.

It's together now, belt is on, and I can see daylight thru the fin gaps.

I went to the Maverick PCA DE at the sportscar ranch I think it was about Feb, just as a spectator. Were you there? I remember seeing a very nice white 914 there.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.