Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the scoop on cylinder heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Queenie
A bit of an update on my engine rebuild plans: my mechanic is now planning just a straight top end rebuild that will consist of (duh) new pistons, cylinders & heads.

I can get the pistons & cylinders from GPR, no problem there. But where do I go for a decent set of remanufactured heads?
tryan
pry the wallet open and get some mittlemotor heads and tell us what its like. look for some 2.0 heads for better flow.
Alfred
What's wrong with your old heads? Can't a place like RIMCO rebuild them for you?

Alfred
Queenie
QUOTE(Alfred @ Aug 6 2003, 11:02 AM)
What's wrong with your old heads? Can't a place like RIMCO rebuild them for you?

Alfred

I'm sure they could, but I'm not going to have the time to dismantle the engine and send the parts out to be done.
Queenie
QUOTE(tryan @ Aug 6 2003, 10:59 AM)
pry the wallet open and get some mittlemotor heads and tell us what its like. look for some 2.0 heads for better flow.

Where can I get info about these mittlemotor heads? A google search yields less than nada.
Part Pricer
Searching for heads for a 2.0 is going to be fun. I seem to recall that you have a later year 914 as well. You might want to try Rich Bontempi at HPH. 1 877 914-4YOU

BTW, please shop around before ordering the P&Cs. They shouldn't run you more than $440 for Euros and $450 for USA-spec shipping included.
Alfred
Is the car your daily-driver?

Alfred
Dave Cawdrey
I have a set of 2L heads, bare and blasted. No cracks or repairs. $360 + shipping.

If you are interested, LMK.
Queenie
QUOTE(korijo @ Aug 6 2003, 11:35 AM)
I have a set of 2L heads, bare and blasted. No cracks or repairs. $360 + shipping.

If you are interested, LMK.

I'm definitely interested! Is there any reason they won't work for an injected '76 2.0?
Queenie
QUOTE(Alfred @ Aug 6 2003, 11:34 AM)
Is the car your daily-driver?

Alfred

Not only is the car my daily driver, but I have limited access to this "cost-free" mechanic. He's only in town for a short period of time, and the bastard wants to spend time working on his own Porsche project (a 912 that we bought for $500 and resurrected from the dead - before we got divorced). I can't believe he's being so selfish! blink.gif

It's not the best way to go about things, I know, but it's saving me the sixty bucks an hour my regular mechanic charges so I'm willing to do what I need to do to make it happen this way.

And if the heads are ok, I can always clean 'em up and sell 'em to help offset the cost of replacements.
Queenie
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Aug 6 2003, 11:33 AM)
Searching for heads for a 2.0 is going to be fun. I seem to recall that you have a later year 914 as well. You might want to try Rich Bontempi at HPH. 1 877 914-4YOU

BTW, please shop around before ordering the P&Cs. They shouldn't run you more than $440 for Euros and $450 for USA-spec shipping included.

Thanks for the tip, Paul. The car is a '76 - they don't get much later than that! wink.gif

I will shop around for pistons & cylinders. I like dealing with GPR because they're right here in town, but if I can save a hundred bucks even with shipping thrown in then it's worth it to me to go elsewhere.
tryan
i are a misspelr. mittelmotor. yah

i am not in a smog state. when do the 75's become exempt? will you need air pump heads? 1.8's.
Alfred
http://www.mittelmotor.de/english/startenglish.htm but their web site is not secure so if you order, order by fax.

Alfred
Alfred
QUOTE(Queenie @ Aug 6 2003, 11:44 AM)
I will shop around for pistons & cylinders.  I like dealing with GPR because they're right here in town, but if I can save a hundred bucks even with shipping thrown in then it's worth it to me to go elsewhere.

They list for $445 on Pelican's site http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...n_pg1.htm#item1 .

Alfred
Queenie
QUOTE(tryan @ Aug 6 2003, 11:51 AM)
i are a misspelr. mittelmotor. yah

i am not in a smog state. when do the 75's become exempt? will you need air pump heads? 1.8's.

I'll forgive you...this time.

Damn. That's the stuff to drool over, isn't it?

I only have to smog it one more time, next April. After that I'm home free.
Queenie
QUOTE(Alfred @ Aug 6 2003, 12:01 PM)

They list for $445 on Pelican's site http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...n_pg1.htm#item1 .

Alfred

What is the difference between the Euro spec and the USA spec pistons & cylinders?
tryan
look at the photo of the disscusion board on the home page. the crackers and the pickle barrel are missing.

8.0 vs 8.5 compression ratio? about 7-10 hp?
Alfred
German Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of piston sets for the 914-4. For the 2.0L engine, these OEM piston sets are available in two types, USA and European. The European pistons have a higher compression ratio resulting in about a 6% increase in horsepower. For more info on the differences between the USA and European Pistons, see our Q&A section. All piston sets come complete with rings, wrist pins, and clips.

Get the Euros, they're made by the same manufacturer (Mahle), are less expensive and you'll gain a bit of power.

Alfred
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(Queenie @ Aug 6 2003, 11:37 AM)
I'm definitely interested! Is there any reason they won't work for an injected '76 2.0?

Mine are from 73/74. They do NOT have the smog ports.

Can they be smogged?? I don't know... Anyone chime in w/ answers ??
Queenie
QUOTE(Alfred @ Aug 6 2003, 12:11 PM)

Get the Euros, they're made by the same manufacturer (Mahle), are less expensive and you'll gain a bit of power.

Ok then! Euro pistons and cylinders it is.

I really want to do this job right. I love my car and I want it to be happy.

I wanted to deal with all this stuff right after I bought it, when I had time and money to burn, but noooooooo - three mechanics told me to just keep the oil topped off and keep driving it until I absolutely HAD to pull the engine. Feh.
tryan
in you situation it would be wise to buy daves heads ( he needs some furry dice for the euro van ) and wait for a complete rebuild after you get the finale smog inspection. not to sound like a raby worshiper, but it would not hurt to at least check the bottom end at rebuild time. imho.
cgnj
I'd do kb 96 mm pistons. Machine your cylinders = $350
If you need to do this now, I have a set of 76 smog heads. Rebuilt. Stock valve sizes. Dual springs. zero miles. Need seats. Long story.
PM me.

Otherwise buy Daves heads and backdate.

Carlos
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.