Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caliper Powdercoating experience/advice ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
The owner of this car wants the calipers powdercoated to match the interior. smilie_pokal.gif

After splitting the rear calipers I fully disassembled everything and cleaned them, except for the parking brake arm and shaft which I don't know how to remove. It seems that there is a rubber seal or something in there that won't survive the heat but I can't figure out how to get it apart. confused24.gif
Anyone have experience with this?

The front M calipers have those thin machined pieces as well as the halves. I wonder if I should bolt them together with something thin in between the pieces. Any good ideas already in practice that someone knows about?
Mueller
Could you talk him into just using that caliper paint?

Eastwood (and others) sell about 10 or more different colors

Just a thought smile.gif
ChrisFoley
I finished disassembling the rears today. There's a 25mm dia metal plug that has to be drilled out to get at the circlip holding the pivot shaft in its bore, and there is a rubber seal just under the actuating arm - as well as lots of grease in there.
Took everything to the powdercoating shop after lightly bolting the assemblies together. They are going to bake them, blast them, disassemble, mask and coat, then bake again. Price about $45 each.
It's gonna cost the owner almost $1000 by the time they are back on the car. Nice to have customers that don't even blink at the cost of these "little" jobs.
Mueller
You are going to show us pictures once done?

correct??

smile.gif
Lawrence
$1000 dollars? ohmy.gif

Does he get kissed first?
redshift
I'd also like to see pictures of the $1,000.00.

M
Mueller
Chris,

Are they using a High Temp Powder Coating or regular powder coating?
( 1000° vs 400° )
ChrisFoley
Mike,
not high temp.

That $$ figure includes travel to and from the car's current location - two times, R & R, total disassembly and cleaning, new seals etc, delivery and pickup at Airborn Coatings, coating price, hone rear cylinders, custom machined steel plugs, reassembly and bleed brakes after installation.

I'll try to remember to take pictures after coating.
Part Pricer
I'm really concerned here. sad.gif

What color is the interior? blink.gif
URY914
After all is done I hope you'll be able to see the darn things.

Too much money for too little effect.

Paul
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Aug 8 2003, 07:32 AM)

What color is the interior? blink.gif

RED leather seats and door panels, red carpet, black leather backpad and black vinyl dash & trim.

This is turning out to be a full concours restoration.

Calipers will be slightly visible behind black Fuchs alloys - 7,8 x 16
Mueller
Sounds interesting.....I'm all for doing things a little "different" smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Finally, I have the calipers back together after waiting a while for new seals. Have a look.
ChrisFoley
and
Rusty
Did you mask off the e-brake arm, or disassemble that part of the caliper, too? (I can't see if the bottom metal disk was removed.)

-Rusty smoke.gif
SirAndy
for a $1000 bucks you could have cleaned those nuts and bolts before you put them back on laugh.gif
a wire-wheel sometimes does wonders ...

Andy
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Sep 8 2003, 11:14 PM)
Did you mask off the e-brake arm, or disassemble that part of the caliper, too? (I can't see if the bottom metal disk was removed.)

-Rusty smoke.gif

here's a pic of the rears during reassembly.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 8 2003, 11:25 PM)
for a $1000 bucks you could have cleaned those nuts and bolts before you put them back on laugh.gif
a wire-wheel sometimes does wonders ...

Andy

Hey Brad2,

they weren't too bad, imo. The black anodize was still largely intact and I didn't want to remove it. I only wirebrushed the threaded mating portions, lol.
Rusty
Very, very nice. You do good work, Chris.

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.