Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic Floor Jack.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
I was just given this floor jack. Mechanically it looks fine, but it does not jack. I closed the valve and pumped the handle. It moves an inch or so. When I release the handle it goes down. I am thinking hydraulic fluid? So where is the reservoir located? I tried the little screw, but the hole is too small. It this a bleeder hole? Next thought was to remove the nut above the ram. Unfortunately there is an E clip above the spring and I can't remove it. I am sure there is a special tool right? If it works it would be a nice score for the $3 bucks it cost for the hydraulic fluid. Thanks, Eddy
SLITS
stand jack upright, pull the screw plug in the pic and fill it with hydraulic fluid (it doesn't take a large hole for hydraulic fluid)....if not that then it is the "0" rings on the piston.
bondo
Make sure it's very clean around the plug before you take it out, you don't want any dirt in there. Chances are if it's low on fluid it leaks.. which means you'll have to do a seal replacement eventually anyways.
smooth_eddy
I did tip it up on end and pulled the little screw. The hole is only about 3/16". I tried to pour in fluid but it would not go. It just overflowed. Yes, I did wipe the area clean first. There is oil residue around the piston. So I would bet there is some leaking. Eddy
bondo
Check the top for a plug, between the handle pivot and the part that moves when you jack it up. Mine has a larger plug there.
smooth_eddy
Check the top for a plug, between the handle pivot and the part that moves when you jack it up. Mine has a larger plug there.

I checked, the only possible places to add oil is either thru the tiny scew hole which did not take any oil, or thru the smaller rear piston by removing the E clip, spring and large nut.
SLITS
Put the hydraulic oil in a ketchup squeeze bottle or syringe....stick the tip in and see if you can add fluid....it may be that it is full and the seals are blown.
Katmanken
Mine has a large fill hole in the top side of the main cylinder..

Can you get the lift arm up to look under it?

Ken
smooth_eddy
Mine has a large fill hole in the top side of the main cylinder..

Reply.....I wish

Can you get the lift arm up to look under it?

Yes, I did look everywhere. No more openings.

The hyd oil came with a tiny pour spout. I will try it again thru the screw hole. I will also tip on end and use a tooth pic as a dip stick. That way I will be able to tell how much oil is in the reservoir.

The jack has probably been sitting for 12 - 15 years. Eddy
smooth_eddy
smilie_pokal.gif

Okay..........well it took about an hour to fill the resevoir with the jack oil thru the tiny little hole. Sigh........ The jack works fine now but has a leak at the seal of the smaller pumping cylinder. This jack is about 40 years old I guess, and made in the USA. Is it repairable? Is it a do it yourself project by buying O rings? Also, when the resevoir filled up, I noticed it had tranny fluid in it originally. The hydraulic oil I bought said it was compatible with all hydraulic oils. Does this include tranny fluid?

It is a great jack. I can roll it all the way under my car to the bar below the engine, and jacks up to 19 inches. Eddy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.