Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Thomas, are you out there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
This is not off topic and it does contain 914 content! Thomas, Richard came over today to help with my car and found out why the speedo doesnt work. The end gear that drives it inside the tranny just spins freely like it is not connected to anything. I have another complete end cover with gear and everything but need your help and a gasket to swap it out. It would really be nice to have a working Speedo again. Besides, I want the end cap off so I can see howcome the speedo drive doesnt work. It never worked from the day I put it in. Call me!!
Aaron Cox
MY guess, (when i saw you install it)

the gear didnt line up when you hammered it in.
guessing you bent the brass gear on the shaft... ( ihave an extra one here i think)
just drive out the pin, and put a new gear in, put a new pin in...
skline
It is not connected to anything inside the tranny, has nothing to do with me having to hammer it in. The gear is a little buggered but it didnt break it.
JoeSharp
Scott: Thomas is under the weather at this time, but I'm sure we have what you need. Just come by.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
bondo
There's a pin that holds that gear to the stretch-bolt that holds the pinion shaft together. Typically you don't mess wit that when rebuilding a trans. A deep socket fits over it and you just keep it all together. Chances are something broke, either the brass shaft or that pin. If the right angle drive isn't installed just right it can bind, which may have caused the problem.
skline
You must be talking about this one. Aaron, this picture was taken for you just now.
SLITS
Are you testing the end gear shaft by turning it at the right angle drive? If you are, remove the right angle drive and look at the engagement tab....it could be broken off.

And before you stick A-aron, clean your fingernails.
skline
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Sep 30 2005, 04:43 PM)
Scott: Thomas is under the weather at this time, but I'm sure we have what you need. Just come by.

Well, I was hoping it could be done in the car so I dont have to remove the transmission again. It is really a bitch with the muffler in there.
skline
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 04:49 PM)
Are you testing the end gear shaft by turning it at the right angle drive? If you are, remove the right angle drive and look at the engagement tab....it could be broken off.

Nope, angle drive is out, I can reach up inside and turn the gear freely with no resistance at all like it is not connected to anything.
SLITS
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Sep 30 2005, 04:43 PM)

Well, I was hoping it could be done in the car so I dont have to remove the transmission again. It is really a bitch with the muffler in there.

You can pull the end cover without removing the tranny...it's easy!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 04:48 PM)
You must be talking about this one. Aaron, this picture was taken for you just now.

thats the one!
Aaron Cox
BTW - is that a promise, a threat, or a shower toy scott? laugh.gif

BTW - like i said, and bondo said.... you had to have fubar'd the gear....
pull the end cover (trans supported by jackstand)
and pull it off... and take a look.

AA
Dr Evil
Grumpy Scott?

I remember the first time that I diagnosed that problem for you...with the same conclusion rolleyes.gif Gettin a bit long in the tooth, eh?

Is there a gear in the end of your angle drive that mates to the one next to your puny finger? If you turn it it should turn the out put blade on the angle drive. If not, then pull the internal gear out and look at it. Interesting.....

Oh ya, I'm supposed to be studying.

...the profunda brachii artery eventually turns into the radial collateral artery on the lateral aspect of the humerus..... wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
thats richards finger.... not scotts....

scotts nails are painted biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 04:49 PM)
Are you testing the end gear shaft by turning it at the right angle drive?  If you are, remove the right angle drive and look at the engagement tab....it could be broken off.

Nope, angle drive is out, I can reach up inside and turn the gear freely with no resistance at all like it is not connected to anything.

Busted pin? Need to take off the cover...get'er done.
Dr Evil
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 30 2005, 04:56 PM)

laugh.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 30 2005, 04:55 PM)
BTW - is that a promise, a threat, or a shower toy scott? laugh.gif

AA

Wrong camel breath...

Car ass end high on jackstands.......tranny supported on main case with jack....remove tranny mount bolts / ground strap.....lower tranny slightly....remove end cover.

If the angle of the ass end is steep enough...you might not even have to drain the tranny.
skline
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 30 2005, 04:56 PM)

No Aaron, I couldnt go with you and your boyfriend yesterday to get them done, I had a date with a hot Mexican woman so they never got painted like yours. Good try though. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 30 2005, 04:55 PM)
BTW - is that a promise, a threat, or a shower toy scott?  :lol:

AA

Wrong camel breath...

Car ass end high on jackstands.......tranny supported on main case with jack....remove tranny mount bolts / ground strap.....lower tranny slightly....remove end cover.

If the angle of the ass end is steep enough...you might not even have to drain the tranny.

thats what i said you senile swine!

lol...

support BY a JACK or JACKSTAND. and OF COURSE remove all things associated with the REAR COVER before REMOVING the REAR COVER

Can i get a side of attitude with my order please? flipa.gif
SLITS
Scott should buy a Honda...................with unpainted ground effect fiberglass body panels and a 5 lb fart can exhaust.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 05:00 PM)
I had a date with a hot Mexican woman so they never got painted like yours. Good try though. biggrin.gif

good retort....straight from 6th grade.... rolleyes.gif

BTW - she used to be a man.... laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
soooo.... pull the cover and snap a pic or 3...
SLITS
Yeh, but before they went out he had to blow her up!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 05:06 PM)
Yeh, but before they went out he had to blow her up!

chairfall.gif

so... we need some pics to know what we are dealing with. of the tranny.... err transm... nevermind slap.gif
skline
QUOTE (SLITS @ Sep 30 2005, 05:03 PM)
Scott should buy a Honda...................with unpainted ground effect fiberglass body panels and a 5 lb fart can exhaust.

Why? Are you selling yours??
Aaron Cox
so did you get r done?

10 bolts or so hold the end housing on... get r done billy bob
Twystd1
Hey Scott,

I will come over and help ya screw it up again...

What time tomorrow?

Hell... We have to over and get that tool box anyway.....

AND... I am bringing a truck to pick up the two 901s..!!

Twystd1
JB 914
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 04:48 PM)

Scott,

I'm offended by that pic.

Now, get that dress back on and get yo A** back on Harbor and make me some $$ BEOTCH wink.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 30 2005, 03:56 PM)

Who, told Scott, when he was putting the speedo drive in, and the drive didn't want to go in, just hammer it in smash.gif Which helpfull Friend, Buddy, Pal would suggest such a thing, (And I won't say a word about the person who would follow such a suggestion happy11.gif )

So, I thought I would be a nice guy, and get it out for him, with Very MINOR DAMAGE to the Tranny happy11.gif
Twystd1
I think it was Steve Stromburg who told him to hit it in with a sledge...

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (V6914 @ Sep 30 2005, 07:13 PM)

scotts nails are painted  :D

Who, told Scott, when he was putting the speedo drive in, and the drive didn't want to go in, just hammer it in smash.gif Which helpfull Friend, Buddy, Pal would suggest such a thing, (And I won't say a word about the person who would follow such a suggestion happy11.gif )

So, I thought I would be a nice guy, and get it out for him, with Very MINOR DAMAGE to the Tranny happy11.gif

it was matt....
Brando
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 30 2005, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (skline @ Sep 30 2005, 05:00 PM)
I had a date with a hot Mexican woman so they never got painted like yours. Good try though.  :D

good retort....straight from 6th grade.... rolleyes.gif

BTW - she used to be a man.... laugh.gif

All of Aaron's girlfriends have been "pre-op". laugh.gif

Skline, if you need a working speedo I got one -- yours if ya want. The internals have been fixed as well.
MattR
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Sep 30 2005, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (V6914 @ Sep 30 2005, 07:13 PM)

scotts nails are painted  :D

it was matt....

Ive been MIA for 2 weeks. It cant be me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.