Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to getta MOTOR....?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bezerker420
Who all have tales/tribulations about buying a nice motor?

Any reccomendations on places to look into?

Im not interested in an off-the-shelf TIV, but a nicely built motor with some fire... wink.gif

I have been looking for somthing from outside CA if possible.....fuck the government, I dont wanna give them any of my tax $$...!

"justveedubs.com" seems like they might have something in store for me...any horror stories or better reccomendations? a bit of customization to their "2700cc TIV" might do the trick nicely.....mebbe "101.5" instead of those 104's though... woah....

user posted image

NOTICE: Sorry Jake, I LOVE your works there, but untill furthur notice I cant quite afford your motors.....
[I know you are working for the high-end market, filling that price-point.....but do you have any inclination to offer a high-tech but slightly more budget minded engine option? IE. carbourated? that would knock off like 5K no?]

-JD
skline
Three little letters. SBC happy11.gif
tat2dphreak
what IS your budget? if oe of Jake's Kits doesn't fit it, maybe the subie conversion from renegade... that's smart money there... 150+ hp for 2k!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 1 2005, 10:53 AM)
Who all have tales/tribulations about buying a nice motor?

Any reccomendations on places to look into?

Im not interested in an off-the-shelf TIV, but a nicely built motor with some fire... wink.gif

I have been looking for somthing from outside CA if possible.....fuck the government, I dont wanna give them any of my tax $$...!

"justveedubs.com" seems like they might have something in store for me...any horror stories or better reccomendations? a bit of customization to their "2700cc TIV" might do the trick nicely.....mebbe "101.5" instead of those 104's though... woah....

user posted image

NOTICE: Sorry Jake, I LOVE your works there, but untill furthur notice I cant quite afford your motors.....
[I know you are working for the high-end market, filling that price-point.....but do you have any inclination to offer a high-tech but slightly more budget minded engine option? IE. carbourated? that would knock off like 5K no?]

-JD

You can get "good", and you can get "cheap", but not in the same transaction ................................................ The Cap'n
kdfoust
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 1 2005, 10:59 AM)

You can get "good", and you can get "cheap", but not in the same transaction ................................................  The Cap'n

Heh, heh.

GOOD
FAST
CHEAP

Pick any TWO.
McMark
Looks into Jakes kits and put it together yourself.
Elliot_Cannon
Cheap hi performance is an oxymoron. You know... Jumbo-shrimp, military intelegence, UPS management, etc.
Elliot
Bezerker420
where the hell did I say CHEAP??

somebody brought that up and yall got off topic.....helping me none with suggestions, just treating me like some fool...!

I was thinking between $6-9000 depending on time of the month...

tongue.gif

Also: WTF is SBC?
Allan
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Oct 1 2005, 06:10 PM)
Cheap hi performance is an oxymoron.  You know... Jumbo-shrimp, military intelegence, UPS management, etc.
                Elliot

Good Cargo Pilots.

SBC = Small Bold Canadians....

Small Block Chevy. wink.gif
bd1308
get a raby4 and be done with it........

b, with his 2 cents....
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 1 2005, 08:21 PM)
just treating me like some fool...!

tongue.gif

Google's #1 response to "what does SBC stand for?" =Scum Bag Corp. LOL

Here at 914club it stands for Small Block Chevy.

For the kind of bank roll your talking about you can just name you HP (that's horse power) level and build it. Heck for 9G's you could go the 930 trans too!!

Then you'd have a monster car with a bullet proof drive system. For most SBC conversions, the tranny is the weak link and everyone usually babies theirs. Including me.

I wish I had 9 G's... sad.gif biggrin.gif aktion035.gif

Mueller
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 1 2005, 08:21 PM)

somebody brought that up and yall got off topic.....helping me none with suggestions, just treating me like some fool...!

tongue.gif

well, a little common sense would be to include your planned budget in the 1st post smile.gif

with that kind of money, yes, you can get a Raby motor..not all of his engines cost as much as you think they do...his kits are a great deal, I'm putting together a 2.2 which I bought most everything from him.

and no, you don't "need" FI, he can spec out a cam that'll work fine with dual carbs...
Hammy
With 6 to 9k I'm sure you can get something plenty nice. A Raby kit would be my choice (and soon to be is my choice). You could get a real big 4 kit and put it together yourself, or go with a bit smaller "big" 4 and probably even have Jake build it for you. Though that's me... I choose the 4 cause I want to keep my car German and *semi*-original. smile.gif With Jake you know you're getting the best..
I'm sure the '6 and SBC enthusiasts will chime in too

Spend it well w00t.gif
rpmmaxxed
Hey berzerker.

My girlfriend lives in McKinleyville, was up north a few weeks ago to see her, and I remember seeing your car around town in arcata. Nice ride.

Just a SoCal boy makin connections...
redshift
Rebuilt 930 box on PP for 2250.

M
Qarl

Umm... your subject line says... "HI-PO Engine on a budget"... which most people take to mean, I can't spend a lot.... aka "cheap"

Smarty-pants!

laugh.gif
Brett W
Skip the tractor motor and get an EJ25T for 4 or less, slap a good standalone FI system on it and be done with it. You will wax every Type four out there, get 30+mpg and make somewhere over 350HP. Then you can have enough money to put tires under it. ALOT.
Bezerker420
is that a Suby your referring to?

that would be sacrelidge [sp]....
im a "convert" from VW's so anything but a boxer motor is incredulous...

so buy a raby kit and have a pro build it for me? [im not an engine builder!]

does anyone know of a reputable engine builder? Type4 hopefully!

what is different about a 930 tranny?

where you comin up to visit from maxxed? small town....suprised we crossed paths!

SpecialK
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 4 2005, 01:00 AM)

Reputable engine builder? 6k - 9k budget? .......Jake Raby pray.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Buzzard1 @ Oct 4 2005, 03:49 AM)
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 4 2005, 01:00 AM)

Reputable engine builder? 6k - 9k budget? .......Jake Raby pray.gif

agree.gif

don't know of a better man for the job if you have the cashola
Brett W
is that a Suby your referring to?

that would be sacrelidge [sp]....
im a "convert" from VW's so anything but a boxer motor is incredulous...

That is the 2.5 WRX STI motor. It is still a boxer. Look at it as an evolution of the tractor motor. Its watercooled and weighs the same as the T4. Makes 300 hp in stock trim and will that HP for 100k miles with no problems. Upgrades are gravy.
Jake Raby
Or you can go with one of my engine kits.... You assemble a known combination of parts to get a known result.. All you need is a 119pc tool set.
Tobra
That is my plan, have a 2.0 motor lined up that actually runs and has good compression, and after I get the car together(painted, replace all the rubber parts) I will build a bench to put it together on, save up and buy one of Mr. Raby's kits. Then I pull the drivetrain, put in hard fuel lines, do any work on the tranny that needs done and voila, 2 year plan complete: Then each hp only is toting 15 lbs instead of 24 and I have a mid-engine car with a better power to weight ratio than my integra, which is a very fast car, saddled with the engine at the wrong end, driving the wrong wheels.
Joe Ricard
Integra? barf.gif

Oh excuse me the Politically correct response is: Integra? cool... Those cars are fun.... ......... To beat the pants off in an Autocross. with just 2 liter power. biggrin.gif

I got the same type of question from the guy jones ing for my car. "how fast is it?" Me "I don't know, define fast" Him "like 1/4 mile time". Me "I have no idea, most Autocrosses are more than 1/4 mile". Him just gives perplexed look. dry.gif

After taking him for a ride down my favorite back road. Some you Know the one he was starting to get the idea. Thought it was funny watching him to try and brake via the passenger seat happy11.gif Ever see a black man turn white cool_shades.gif
fatlando
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 4 2005, 06:43 AM)
Or you can go with one of my engine kits.... You assemble a known combination of parts to get a known result.. All you need is a 119pc tool set.

Jake,

Your site is way cool and very "detail-alistic" but to a braindead musician like me, pictures of your kits would be cool.

Are there some on the site?

hows the weather over there? Here in bremerton it's cold and wet....just like London, England.

bottomend
Hey fatlando, Fellow musician here... I LOVE wet/rainy weather. I'm stuck in "wonderfully sunny southern california". I usually wait till night time to go out side. Sun Burn City.
Tobra
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Oct 4 2005, 08:13 AM)
Integra? barf.gif

Oh excuse me the Politically correct response is: Integra? cool... Those cars are fun.... ......... To beat the pants off in an Autocross. with just 2 liter power. biggrin.gif

Say what you will about Hondas, but it has been every bit as reliable as my Super Beetle was(albeit over 1/3 the miles so far, only up to 125,000) It has 4 doors, handles very well, the brakes(with upgraded pads) will stick your gum to the windshield, 170 hp and I can tell you it is solid up to 130 mph

that said, the 914 is on a different planet with respect to handling, even with the totally beat sway bar bushings in the back. I honestly think it would run away and hide from my Pops in his '84 911 carrera cab on a windy road.
IronHillRestorations
If your gonna spend $9k, spend 10 and 6 it!
Bezerker420
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Oct 4 2005, 08:13 AM)
Integra? barf.gif

I got the same type of question from the guy jones ing for my car. "how fast is it?" Me "I don't know, define fast" Him "like 1/4 mile time". Me "I have no idea, most Autocrosses are more than 1/4 mile". Him just gives perplexed look. dry.gif

After taking him for a ride down my favorite back road. Some you Know the one he was starting to get the idea. Thought it was funny watching him to try and brake via the passenger seat happy11.gif Ever see a black man turn white cool_shades.gif

ppfffffffffffffffffft................LMAO....

only thing funnier then your avatar is the poast you made....!
rpmmaxxed
where you comin up to visit from maxxed? small town....suprised we crossed paths!

Comin from carlsbad, way down south.
Andyrew
For 9k, You could have...

Stock rebuilt T4 up to 3.0 (jake might do it.... lol) t4 Even a turbo.

A porsche 6- pick your flavor.

A small block chevy

A subaru 4 cylander N/A or Turbo

Rotory n/a or Turbo

Buick v6

Even electric.

Lots of other options as well...

Take a ride in each, and figure out what you want.

I suggest throwing jake 6k, taking the other 3, putting into suspension and brakes (you'll want it with that power)

Gl

each has their pro's and cons.
Bezerker420
I dunno what everyone has been quoted by jake, but I heard $15,000 shipped.....that is a bit taxed I think.....albeit a AWESOME MOTOR....thats the price of a decent CIVIC!!

the big difference is between a kit and completly assembled by the man himself? hmmmmm I dont "build" motors unfortunately, I have a trusted friend/mechanic [ www.bugdoc.com ] that would do this FOR ME...so its still an option,

even tho that Suby conversion looks SO NICE......it looses its "soul" @ that point....aircooled is the whole point.....am I crazy for that? also /6's ARE Porsche but , just doesnt seem right....im a convert from VW's remember, Buying a 914 was just like a "fancy/sporty" VW for me...

OH, BTW.....got some new Fuchs 16x6 front 16x7 rear, off a totaled '82 911SC supposedly....lotts $$$ but worth it, there in pretty good shape.... biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

hope those work.... biggrin.gif
Bezerker420
oh yeah!

I knew what I was getting into buying the wheels, just haddnt figured out the plan-of-action yet...

MY '72 914 4-lug wheels, New big-ass wheels are '82 911sc 5-lugs,
what all must be changed in order to accomadate these, new 5 lug rotors, or can I just get the current ones re-lugged, also are these Fuchs offset deeper then a regular wheel, or will i NEED flares for them to squeeze under there,

I would HATE to do all the brake swapping then only find out when mounting them that flares would ALSO be neccessary, If so, I might just put these wheels on my Bug, a narrowed beam and/or flared fenders are CHEAP and EASY.....!
Carlitos Way
Look in the resources area. Eric Shea makes a really nice product. I believe his conversion for a rear control arm is somewhere around $300 for the pair. he's about as well-respected as anyone in here. As for the front, I will defer to the experts (Eric may also chime in and make suggestions), but it shouldn't be too hard to make the front suspension conversion. Bolt-on according to most....

Good luck.

C.
street legal go-kart
I will make this short.

I have a 76 2.0 , stock f.i.
oil system mods, stock displacement.
Pertronics ign. mild cam. Significant head work.
Bursch exhaust.
Built by Arcane Automotive , Fresno,Ca.
111 hp on the dyno at 6000 miles.
A little over $6k removed , built , installed and tuned w/a 12mo/12000 mile warranty.
No oil leaks!

Talk to Kevin and tell him I sent you. 559-499-1041

Good luck,

Jonathan Trauner
Mueller
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 21 2005, 11:20 AM)
I dunno what everyone has been quoted by jake, but I heard $15,000 shipped.....that is a bit taxed I think.....albeit a AWESOME MOTOR....thats the price of a decent CIVIC!!

see the classifieds....I'm selling an unbuilt Nickies equipped Raby spec'd 2156 for about 1/3 of that price...not sure how much it cost to build one, but I know McMark has bee itch'n to build another motor and I'd imagine he'd be very resonable cost wise.

Current cam can be used with carbs or FI (I'll have a set of dual individual throttle bodies with manifolds for sale soon as well)

estimated hp is 160 and that is with bone stock 2.0 heads...torque to die for burnout.gif
Andyrew
I would go with Mike Muellers engine...

Good price... best bang for the buck you can get..

As far as 5 lug and everything... 16x7's will need a little rolling of the fenders to accomidate...

but 5 lug is a little expensive here as well...

List EVERYTHING you want to do to the car in your budget, Give us your budget...

And we'll tell you how much it will cost, and if you CAN do it in your budget....

You dont want to be spending 9k on a motor, then have 0 cash left over for suspension, trani, interior, paint, broken things... ect....

Dr. Roger
That young spud, Andy, is right.

I made the mistake of blowing too much money on certain things (engine) and now I desperately need a brake and tire upgrade. No cash in pocket..... Yukky place to be.

I could have cut my engine cost in half and had my brake upgrade and 5 bolt conversion paid for.

Roger
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 21 2005, 07:18 PM)
[(I'll have a set of dual individual throttle bodies with manifolds for sale soon as well)

Mike...PM me with the details and price.
Mueller
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
messix
Muller; are those a couple of turbos i see in that pict. ?

don't you know you can't turbo a 914 engine? is that why you didn't mention then?
Mueller
no, you have it wrong, you cannot "twin-turbo" a 914 engine smile.gif smash.gif
porsha916
Think about buick 215 V8 conversion, light weight, 180-200hp, lots of torque, 20mpg, stock trans(a highway gear would be nice biggrin.gif ). You could build the whole car for $9K (on a budget). smilie_pokal.gif
Bezerker420
fortunately, or not, I dont really have a "budget" per-se, I just wanna make a NICE car......money isnt tangible, it comes and goes, ill spend some now and make some more later....

cool_shades.gif
Bezerker420
please tell me about this turboed 914 idea.....ill do it!

That is what i was "thinking" about....was told its not possible...??

Mueller, why arent YOU gonna use that motor?
Mueller
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 22 2005, 10:18 AM)
please tell me about this turboed 914 idea.....ill do it!

That is what i was "thinking" about....was told its not possible...??

Mueller, why arent YOU gonna use that motor?

only 1 turbo will be used...I bought 2 at a good deal...

going onto a stock 1.8 one of these days...I have aftermarket fuel injection to make it easier (famous last words, hahahaha)

selling motor due to needing cash for a car accident I was just involved in.....cannot say more until it's all resolved, but it could be ugly.. headbang.gif

the "can't turbo a 914" is long standing joke....I think it started when someone wrote into European Car asking about it....the editor or tech writer was a moron and wrote that it couldn't be done or would be a bad idea....you can turbo a weedeater if you can find a small enough turbo smash.gif
Bezerker420
do you know of any instances of turboed 914 round these parts, or can you point me to a tree to go sniff around?
Mueller
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Oct 23 2005, 12:36 AM)
do you know of any instances of turboed 914 round these parts, or can you point me to a tree to go sniff around?

search for turbo[b/] with username(s) of [B]Sammy,
airsix and ed

Sammy used an old skool method with a carb and suck-thru design

2 different Ed's used CIS injection (used parts from VW Rabbits and Audis I believe)

Airsix (Ben M), is using an aftermarket fuel injection with an all stock 1.7 motor

Nobody has dyno'd their cars that I know of, but 180HP is the seat of the pants numbers from a few of them that have been able to run their cars up against 914/6's or 911s with horsepower in the same range.

For reasonable horsepower levels, it's a doable thing, but don't expect to duplicate the boost levels that you read in the magazines for Hondas and Audis unless you have cubic dollars to spend..
Bezerker420
lol......."cubic dollars"

so these turbos are kinda unexplored territory for 914's? no one doing it commercially, just ppl with lotsa time and a dream??
Mueller
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Nov 22 2005, 05:14 PM)
lol......."cubic dollars"

so these turbos are kinda unexplored territory for 914's? no one doing it commercially, just ppl with lotsa time and a dream??

there used to be 3 manufactures of 914/turbo kits:

MSDS (Maltese Falcon here on the BBS, owner of a bitch'n turbo /6 914)

Crown Manufacturing

and

Bernie Bergman(?)

not that many kits sold and all of the tooling is long gone, I believe at the time, it was just as cost effective to install a /6 so no huge market for a turbo /4

there are a couple of /4 (and /6) turbos being run on semi-daily drivers, mostly all home built.

for your entertainment, you are welcome to follow this thread I have created:

You Cannot Turbo A 914 project by Mueller
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.