Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chassis stiffening kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanf123
i'm building a 73 v-8 car, and was going to install the chassis kit. but i've read the threads on stiffening the chassis and it seems alot of people are against it. seems like alot of you think its a waste of time and effort. am i better off just welding the stock seams, were the factory only spot welds.
Brad Roberts
Show me the threads were people think it is a waste of time. confused24.gif

I personally beleive 90% of the GT stiff kit is a waste of time, but the Engman kit is the shizznit.

You can make the few plates that you need from the GT stiff kit.

B
Trekkor
I'm running Engman's inner kit.

wonderful!
install photo doc

KT
seanf123
i'm thinking of installing the engman kit that goes on in the interior, but i'm debating the 5 piece kit that goes on around the suspension area and inner fender well
Brad Roberts
OK. Now I fully understand what you want to do clap.gif

Engman kit all the way

GT stiff kit: If you want to use this kit, cut off carefully the outer skin just behind the wheel in the rear fenders. Weld in the kit and put the skin back on. This will help solve the chassis cracking issue seen in V8/race cars were the shock tower try's to rip away from the end of the frame. The kit install shows laying the kit OVER that outer skin. This is a waster of time. The outer skin is not the problem.

B
seanf123
sorry i wasn't clear on this earlier. so the welt. kit that welds to the inner fender area and the small pieces that have to be formed and welded to the suspension area, is a waste of time. unless you install under the outer skin? they dont say that in the instructions that come with the kit. it seems that the are that would need extra strength is the motor mounts. thanx for all the help
Brad Roberts
Not all of the kit is a waste of time. The chassis starts to crack as you add weight and increase rear spring rate. The rear shock towers are only held to the ends of the frame rails on the front side of the shock tower. This causes them to rip the chassis as time goes on. Welding the stiff kit over the inner fender well "cover" is a waste of time. Cut the cover off.. weld in the pieces and put the cover back on. There is a 4-5MM gap between the actual shock tower sheet metal and the inner fenderwell "cover". So.. adding another pieces of steel over that outer "cover" does nothing to support the shock tower.

I cant locate all my pics.. maybe somebody will see this post and show you a pic of what I'm talking about. The scab plate pieces that need to be formed: some of them help.

Jeroen has/had some good shots of what I'm talking about. Anyone who has cut up a 914 or done cage work has seen what I'm talking about.

B
Andyrew
I bought the engman kit, and was thinking of some tube frame work, but Brad, your talking about the shock towers ripping off?

Jeroen or anyone who saved the pics, could you post them? Im quite interested.

Thanks!

Andrew

btw brad, nice to see you posting again! we all apreciate your knowlege.
Rand
I had a link to one of those classic threads that doesn't work anymore, but I just went to the classics forum and did a search for: rear AND shock AND tower

Check THIS LINK. It's one of a couple threads on this that should be helpful.

Yes, GREAT to see you here Brad! Hope you're doing well.
Sparky
I dont think anyone answered the last question in that thread, Is the 914/6 braced or stiffened in some other manner from the factory that makes it stronger at that point?

Mike D.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Sparky @ Oct 3 2005, 03:54 AM)
I dont think anyone answered the last question in that thread, Is the 914/6 braced or stiffened in some other manner from the factory that makes it stronger at that point?

No.
shoguneagle
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif This is a very informative article. I like the advice everyone gives since it will help me in the near future on a 914-6 GT (conversion) I will be building. Glad to be back to the forum since moving to Flagstaff, AZ.

Hi Brad and Perry.

Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle
TravisNeff
I have an engman kit, mucho stiffo. Watch out of the dog food though laugh.gif
Brando
QUOTE (9146986 @ Oct 3 2005, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (Sparky @ Oct 3 2005, 03:54 AM)

No.

What about 914s that were rallyed?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.