Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil-over install pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Put car on jackstands and if you desire, remove both rear wheels
ChrisReale
Undo top mount nut
ChrisReale
Unbolt bottom nut and slide bar out from strut and rear arm. Might be a good idea to support the rear trailing arm so it doesnt fall down onto your heat exchangers
ChrisReale
Remove spring/shock combo and undo the top bolt that holds the spring hat on. If you have stock springs, rent a compressor. If you have 140 or 180# springs, you probably wont need a compressor. Black rubber donut goes on the top of the assembled unit
ChrisReale
Now, I put the new threaded collar onto the shock
ChrisReale
The threaded collar acts as an adjustable spring perch, with "infinate" height adjustment wink.gif Basically, you can corner balance your car better, and lower it a few more inches. Assemble unit and re-install. The procedure is opposite of removal laugh.gif
See that black donut on the left of the pic? DONT FORGET TO PUT IT ON!!!!
ChrisReale
Pretty easy process. On left is a stock weight spring, middle is 180# progressive, and right is 200# Hypercoil
Big difference! One nice thing about this set is the top spring hats have two holes pre-drilled so you can zip-tie the springs to the hats easily
Brad Roberts
Grass Hopper has a come along way..

Good job. clap56.gif

Oh.. I dont take the wheel off. No need.

B
maf914
Chris,

Good photos and info. Thanks.

Who supplied the hardware? Collars, rings, and springs? I have Koni reds and would like to go this route, with a 120 or 140 spring rate.

Mike
philinjax
What's that ball on the bolt head in the third pix. above??? Don't remember ever seeing that before.

philinjax blink.gif
redshift
QUOTE(philinjax @ Aug 8 2003, 09:35 AM)
What's that ball on the bolt head in the third pix. above???  Don't remember ever seeing that before.

philinjax blink.gif

Right side trailing hitch. Factory towing option.

I wonder if he has the teeny lil trailers?

M
seanery
looks like a rear bar mount to me.
JmuRiz
Yup, it's the rear sway bar mount...and boy is it a PITA to get back on. At least mine was when I did my adj coilover install. Also, the zip-ties that I used to attach the spring top to the spring hat lasted all of 2 seconds...anyone have a remedy for this...maybe just attach them loosely? Thanks
seanery
what about safety wire?
rhodyguy
so chris, are you going to install one of those air cushioned seats that are in kenworths/peterbuilts so you can still drive to ore?

kevin
Jeroen
Hey Chris,

Good pics and write up!
Remind us in a little while to move this thread to the "classics"

cheers,

Jeroen
KenH
Who made the Coil Over hardware???

Ken
brant
I've had better luck with safety wire over zip ties...
brant
Brad Roberts
Um guys ???

Your not tying the top AND bottom down are you ???

I have cars running round for 5-6 years with the same zip ties.

Yes.. the rear sway bar is a PITA to get back on the mounts.

B
redshift
So you just jack it up, adjust the collars (I imagine those are set screws around the edge?) and there you go..

Those are the C2 parts you were asking about? I like that.

Where do you start when adjusting those?

M

PS: WD-40 would remove that nasty crap on your dolly, AND SKIN!
Brad Roberts
KenH.

Paragon products is a 914 friendly parts place out of Corpus Christy Texas. They sell the Koni's and the kits. Ask for Jason and tell him you heard about them on the 914club site.

B
914werke
One mention, Make sure to replace or restore the snubbers!!!
Dont know if youll be bottoming those springs but w/o them that would be VERY BAD headbang.gif
BIGKAT_83
Looks Good!

But I can't really tell by the pictures the length of the spring. It looks like you would be getting pretty close to coil binding at full suspension travel. Did you get this as a kit or did you order the parts by themself?
redshift
Another question:

What is the downward limit of useful adjustment?

M
ChrisReale
I got them from Paragon Products. That ball is the rear sway bar mount. My tiars will stop the shock from bottoming out before the spring does blink.gif I do have some around here somewhere. Hypercoil makes the springs, a company called Coleman(906-863-7883) makes the threaded collar and perch. In the pics, I had the threaded collar sitting WAY too high. Now I have the collar right at the bottom. Rear is sittinga tad too low, but I am going to re-clock the torsion bar adjusters and lower the front more....
redshift
Ok, I am sold, I love that thing, I need that thing, that thing could make me like konis...

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.