Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 with transmission cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I'm looking for some pics of 915 transmissions installed in 914-6 with the 915 trans cooler in place.

Is there sufficient room between the cooling tubes and the 914-6 headers?

Can the cooling tubing be bent to clear the headers?

Please post pics if you have them.

Thanks
John,

I had thought about that years ago. When I mention it to George Vellos when he was building my tran, he mention that
once you flip the ring gear - you render the pump useless.

Was George wrong? Anyone want to chim in?
cool.gif
ArtechnikA
i have such a transmissionm a 915/67. not installed yet - it is intended for the 911. i can take whatever photographs or measurements you'd like.

the cooler loop is *very* soft, ribbed brass or aluminum; i think you could bend it pretty much any way you liked. it fits to the transmission with O-ring seals and i think it'd be "almost" trivial to use real fittings to run hose to a proper radiator-style cooler mounted anywhere.

here it is mounted in a 911 - it's over that duct/rockshield top center left.
ArtechnikA
the parts are in the ETKA but it is very hard to find them. i don't even know how i got there - i can't find my way back. it's possible the computer at work thinks it's in Europe since the 915.67 was a Euro only option. i did print out the picture and all the part numbers, 'cause i wasn't sure how i'd find my way back again through the twisty maze of passages all alike.

it's 911 84 MG 3 SG 02 illustration 302.01 if you're keen to look for it...

does look like it'd be a challenge. looks like the drive gear bolts to the back of the diff carrier - which would then be on the wrong side - the side that doesn't have the removable side cover onto which the oil pump mounts...

*maybe* you could drill the case for the gear-driven pump driveshaft but i doubt there'd be room for the drive gear on that side... looks quite the challenge.

i s'pose you oculd invert the transmission - but the gear-driven pump expects to be the lowest point in the case and uses simple gravity-feed...

do you have a Plan 'B' ?

unless you're referring to the very early RS/RSR transmissions with the pump in the nose cone...
John
Yes, that is exactly what I'm refering to.

The trans is a 915/72 73F05822

Euro/ROW (w/cooler)
Limited Slip

Plan "B" would be to delete the cooler and plug the holes.

Plan "C" would be to find a trans without the pump and cooler.

It looks as if the pump is installed on the side cover so perhaps a US side cover would work to replace the pump?
I assume I can simply plug the hole in the trans case (return from cooler)

PS. what is ETKA
rhilgers

The site is somewhat, kinda, sorta, still going.

http://www.ebarrettinc.com/catalogPG6.html

Ebarrettinc

Use the home page for contact info.

George still owes me brake parts back from years back.
I would not pay for something thats not COD...

-Rich Hilgersom
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 4 2005, 12:44 PM)
what is ETKA

sorry - it's probably better known here as "PET" -- the electronic parts catalog.

i have tried for an hour to figure how i got to the page with the oil pump picture and parts list so i could post it here, but it is fighting me at every turn. glad i printed it, or i might be wondering if i had simply imagined it!

worst-case - i'll scan the sucker...

i don't see why a US side cover wouldn't fit -- unless - it doesn't have room for the drive gear...
John
I have an exploded diagram of the pump in the Carrera Workshop manual, so I know how it goes together, and basically how it operates off of an auxilary gear mounted on the Differental (ring gear side). I have not checked out PET yet.

Does anyone have a US 1984 or 1985 915 side cover to trade for the parts with the pump? I'll even throw in the cooler coil. Must be in excellent condition.

PM me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.