Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: exaust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
right now i have a stock 1.7
id like to make it faster

i am now using the stock vw exaust

if i was to switch to a monza exaust would that help me at all?
if i was to do this should i switch my pipes too?

id like to get a better exaust (if there is one) at a reasonable price.
does anyone have any suggestions?
what do you guys, that go for speed, use?
Trekkor
I use a pair of 3-into-1 headers, a dual quiet pack Ansa exhaust with a crossover...and a SIX attached to that. lol2.gif

KT
bd1308
for run-of-the-mill engines, the Triad exhaust works pretty well.....

I believe the real bottleneck (as far as exhaust goes) is the HE's.....

somebody makes a replacement header system, it's supposed to improve things by a noticeable percentage....I'm not 100% who it was, so I will just leave it at that.

b
914fan
Do a search on monza, bursch, SSI, tangerine, kelly hunter, triad, and ansa. There is lots of info out there.I believe the order is
Tangerine
Triad
SSI with Bursch
Kelly Hunter
SSI with stock
stock with bursch
stock with monza (ansa?)
stock with stock.

I could be wrong

I have a monza for sale if you would like. PM me $75
shaggy
HAHAHAHAHAHA biggrin.gif !!

if i had the cash for a 6 it would be in there already!
still workin' on that, but maybe eventually

that "Ansa" exaust,
what do those things cost?
do you have any suggestions for the headers?
Mueller
if you need heat, you are limited to heat exchangers with a new muffler on the end....a new Bursh is your best value, the Triad supposed to sound the best...I've never seen dyno comparisons between the mufflers, as far as I know, they all perform about the same, just sound, weight and looks are what seperates them...some people like the 4 tip ansas, since they like the all looks and no go smile.gif

headers will give you a few more HP and gain some performance from a lighter weight assembly, bring cash, they "start" at $400 and go up from there really fast.

For headers, European Racing is more in your price range I believe (see vendor section) and if you do have money, the best is from CFR, the Tangerine Racing header...these start at just under a $1000 with no muffler included (I could be wrong)

Oh, and for a stock motor, all that money will gain you about 5hp if you are lucky on that motor.......of course if you are lucky, you won't break and exhuast stud removing the old exhaust if you go the header route, then start adding more money to the mix....

shaggy
it dosent get that cold here in az and if it does i have a jacket cool.gif besides, my heater isnt working anyways dry.gif
id really like to just drop the extra weight, but i have to convince my dad of that first

would pipes-heat exchangers give me ne more hp?
if so how much?

does anyone make a strait pipe? and if so how much do they run?
Dave_Darling
From what I have read, the Monza and Ansa mufflers will usually make a touch less power than the stock ones--at least, on a 2.0 motor and exchangers. The Bursch is supposed to make a touch more, though there are people who argue that the stock muffler makes more power than the Bursch.

Headers are where you can make real gains. The Kerry Hunter headers are the least expensive (start at around $400) and make the least extra power--up to about 5 HP, probably. The Tangerine Racing ones are the most expensive (about a grand, or more) but are the most effective--I think they may be able to make you 10 HP on a stock 2.0 motor. The European Racing headers are partway between those two in both price and performance.

None of them will give you any semblance of heat or defrost. With the possible exception of the Tangerine setup; there is a very small heat exchanger section available as an extra-cost option on at least one Tangerine setup, but I don't know if it fits in a 914 or not.

If you want heat, stock exchangers or SSIs are your only real choices.

--DD
Mueller
QUOTE (shaggy @ Oct 5 2005, 10:58 PM)
it dosent get that cold here in az and if it does i have a jacket cool.gif besides, my heater isnt working anyways dry.gif
id really like to just drop the extra weight, but i have to convince my dad of that first

would pipes-heat exchangers give me ne more hp?
if so how much?

does anyone make a strait pipe? and if so how much do they run?

you alread have heat exchangers, they come standard on the car......basicly what they are is individual tubes with sheetmetal around them...

they should look something like these:
user posted image

all four pipes join up at the muffler

a true header looks like this:

user posted image

no real place to put a straight pipe

beware of stupid people on eBay, currently there are 3 ads for "headers"....they are NOT headers...2 of them are heat exchangers and 1 is an exhaust pipe that connects the heat exchangers to a muffler headbang.gif
Brando
Mufflers on a header are wasteful! biggrin.gif

If you don't want the heat, go headers. If you want heat, replace with early 2.0-style SSIs and get the necessary heater equipment, which you probably have already.
Hammy
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Oct 5 2005, 11:01 PM)
If you want heat, stock exchangers or SSIs are your only real choices.

I thought they were the same thing ? wacko.gif
McMark
Unless you're ready to drop at least $1000 on an exhaust system, don't bother. The best thing you can do for speed/power is start saving and shopping for a 2.0. That will give you the biggest bang for your buck.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 6 2005, 03:14 AM)
I thought they were the same thing ?

SSI is a brand of stainless-steel aftermarket heat exchangers.

SSI == HE
HE != SSI

i will let others discuss the costs and benefits.

the grim reality the aftermarket *muffler* people don't want you to know is that most of their products make LESS HP than the stock stuff. you can change if you like the look, or the sound - but most of us have an uncomplimentary adjective for products that are put on a car for "the look" while making it run worse -- " the 'R' word' ...

and do not lose sight of The Bigger Picture...

you can spend $2000 increasing the output of your 1,7 4-5HP. that might be better directed to something like a 2056 kit...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.