Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple of resoration questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Okay, the interior is out of my 914, I have my heat gun and a scraper, and I am ready to remove tar.

Also I just siphoned all the gas (well, as much as I could get) out of the tank and put it in my subaru (OBS - it will burn piss if I wanted it too....).

Anyway, tomorrw I want to pull the gas tank, and scrape the tar out to the interior.

Questions:
1) wires. How did you all remove the wires? Just cut them out and replace anew? Mark them and try and reuse? I want to clear the center tunnel, and I need to get the wires out to do so. The wire bits of this (and any) car are the only things that give me pause....

2) The gas tank. Anyhting that I need to watch out for as I remove it? Not *all* the gass is out. thre is still some in the baffles. Hof do I clear it? I am going to send the tank out to be checked and coated inside.

3) My car has the "factory" AC. My plan is to remove it but to save the peices. Less weight. But the front consencer. Man, cut through the front trunk. Should I cut it out and weld in a anew front trunk floor, or just leave it as is, incase I descide that I want to replace the AC once summer comes and I swelter in Baltimore traffic.

Oh, and go see Serenity (the Firefly movie). I just got out of it. I was a fan of the series... but, damn. This was the best moive that I have seen this year - and I did not think much was going to top Batman.

Zach
redshift
Too many questions, too much AADDD!

The wires are all pieces of harnesses, you disconnect them at both ends, and they all come out from one end, or the other.

If there is some gas in the tank... a little.. you just crimp the hose right there, and hack it off.. real close. smile.gif

Factory A/C? rolleyes.gif

If you remove it, get used to none, and weld the floor in... I would reinstall it, and enjoy something most never have seen working.

M
gklinger
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2005, 10:31 PM)
1) wires.  How did you all remove the wires?  Just cut them out and replace anew?  Mark them and try and reuse?  I want to clear the center tunnel, and I need to get the wires out to do so.  The wire bits of this (and any) car are the only things that give me pause....

You shouldn't need to do this for the work you're planning. If you think you do, *don't* cut the wiring. Do a search on harness removal. You'll probably reconsider removing the wiring once you see what's involved.
Hammy
Yeah, don't cut the wires..
If you're not sure about the AC, I'd say you could create some sort of removable trunk floor to keep the water out when you don't have it in. Or is that too ghetto rolleyes.gif I tend to think in that way...

Also, stupid question here, answer is probably obvious but just making sure... did AC equipped cars have no spare tire?
bondo
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2005, 10:31 PM)

Oh, and go see Serenity (the Firefly movie). I just got out of it. I was a fan of the series... but, damn. This was the best moive that I have seen this year - and I did not think much was going to top Batman.

Zach

agree.gif

Damn fine movie, although I think I liked it better as a show. More time to learn about the characters, and a little more rough around the edges, which is of course the whole idea.

About the wiring.. I pulled mine, but I'm doing a full sodablast and color change. You shouldn't need to completely remove your harness if you're just removing tar. Don't cut anything, the whole harness can come out without cutting. It all pulls towards the fusebox.
SirAndy
no need to cut the wires. do a search here and peak into the "Classic Message Threads" forum for answers ...

like this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=5&t=13582&st=0

you should be able to remove most all of the tar without touching the wires. however, if you're gonna stripp the car completely, the above thread should provide some helpful pointers ...
beer3.gif Andy
Mueller
dry ice works as well for removing the tar..just wear gloves and eye protection wink.gif
McMark
agree.gif Cutting the wires is a bad bad bad bad idea. I just pulled a wiring harness out and it only took me about 1 hour. But as mentioned, if you're just remove tar, you don't need to remove the harness. The harness moves out of the way enough to get behind them.
sj914
What worked for me when I pulled the gas tank out is you can drain the gas from under the engine compartment. Just pull the fuel hose off the fuel pump and drain it off from there.

oops I didn't see that you have a 76 car fuel pump in the front.
Andyrew
hammy, yes a/c equipped cars had a spare. there was a metal bar over top the a/c compressor with a nut welded to the other side, the factory tire hold down would screw into it. not much room left in the trunk after that.

I know.... I had one.
Hammy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 7 2005, 12:59 AM)
hammy, yes a/c equipped cars had a spare. there was a metal bar over top the a/c compressor with a nut welded to the other side, the factory tire hold down would screw into it. not much room left in the trunk after that.

I know.... I had one.

Wow ohmy.gif now that I think of it, guess there isn't much anywhere else to put it.. smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 7 2005, 04:08 AM)
now that I think of it, guess there isn't much anywhere else to put it..

the words of someone who has yet to discover the 'alternate' spare tire location in the back trunk :-)
MecGen
Heres a couple visuals...
My post might help

Later

beerchug.gif

jsteele22
QUOTE (sj914 @ Oct 7 2005, 12:45 AM)
What worked for me when I pulled the gas tank out is you can drain the gas from under the engine compartment. Just pull the fuel hose off the fuel pump and drain it off from there.

oops I didn't see that you have a 76 car fuel pump in the front.

So just remove the panel that covers the fuel pump (drivers side, under carpet, just behind the spare tire area), then disconnect the fuel line and let the gas drain out of that huge hole in the floor of the front trunk wink.gif

My car had the "factory" A/C, which a PO (in California) paid for someone to remove back in the 80's. I think the 914 (mine is a 2.0) just doesn't have the power to spare for A/C and the kind of driving you want to do in a 914. Not a rule, just an observation.

One interesting twist is the growing number of people (I'm gonna be one someday) who are installing Subaru engines into 914s. With the radiator in the engine compartment, you might be able to use the Suby A/C compressor (anybody know if it will fit ?) and the remainder of the Porshce A/C system. A/C, good heat, and twice the horsepower - now that would be a nice setup !
Mueller
QUOTE (jsteele22 @ Oct 7 2005, 08:51 AM)
[QUOTE=sj914,Oct 7 2005, 12:45 AM] What worked for me when I pulled the gas tank out is you can drain the gas from under the engine compartment. Just pull the fuel hose off the fuel pump and drain it off from there.

My car had the "factory" A/C, which a PO (in California) paid for someone to remove back in the 80's. I think the 914 (mine is a 2.0) just doesn't have the power to spare for A/C and the kind of driving you want to do in a 914. Not a rule, just an observation.

One interesting twist is the growing number of people (I'm gonna be one someday) who are installing Subaru engines into 914s. With the radiator in the engine compartment, you might be able to use the Suby A/C compressor (anybody know if it will fit ?) and the remainder of the Porshce A/C system. A/C, good heat, and twice the horsepower - now that would be a nice setup !

no "factory" A/C.....both brands are aftermarket, installed by the dealer....

"the 914 doesn't have enough power for A/C" is a lame statement and not true..the original units had been installed as an afterthought, a more modern A/C assembly has been done by a few 914 people (with /4s and /6s)

with a new modern watercooled engine, it would be easier or so it seems smile.gif
effutuo101
agree.gif prep small amounts of the tar removal area with dry ice. I worked on mine when we had AC going full blast in the garage for a little while before I started. Then I would put the dry ice ( with a bit of fabric wrapped around it for moving it around) on to the tar and then hit with a scrapper. It came off in chunks. This project should consume about 1 pint of Jack Daniels or 3 Mountain dews.
VaccaRabite
Well, I got the gas tank out, and then started cleaning out all the gunk that was under it. And I noticed a rust area where the overflow hose comes out. Thats going to need to be fixed... I have not gotten to tar removal yet.

The gas tank looks to be in really good shape. When I drained what was left in the tank, there was no rust or particals in there that I saw. I wonder if I shold forgo the gas tank renu.

As I took the tank out, I noticed tht the fule pump was leaking. It looked like the hose had abbraided over time. Well, glad I caught it now. :-)

Finally, I keep looking at those wires and thinking "I don't see the wiring harness" Do you guys mean up at the fuse box?

Zach
Mueller
Finally, I keep looking at those wires and thinking "I don't see the wiring harness" Do you guys mean up at the fuse box?

the wiring harness goes from the headlights to the tail lights smile.gif

the portion that you will run into in the cabin is above/under the center tunnel....it can be moved around enough to make tar removal easier without removing it completely
VaccaRabite
So, I took the tar out of the cockpit over the weekend. And I found a white substance under it in some areas. I am guessing this is the seam sealer? Off white, very firm putty that a heat gun does not really soften?

Is it safe to take it out with a wire brush on an angle grinder? I am going to Por-15 everyhting once the metal is clean.

Also, on the drivers rear floor pan, there are two eye bolts going through the floor, a couple of inches behind the seat mounting tabs. Clearly they are letting water in. Under the car, the washer for each of them is huge- to distribute load though around the floor pan I guess. What are they? My guess was mounts for a harness or something? Passinger side did not have them.

What the passinger side did have, however, was 2 drilled holes through the front floor pan (where your toes would be). Both of them about 3/4 inch. There were - amazingly - not rustred. But why are they there?

Finally, a noob question on board ettiquete...

AS I come up with more questions, should I add them to this thread, or start new threads for them. Some boards are funny about that kinda thing.

Thanks all,

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.