Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Z1" mark not lining up on flywheel and pulley
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I mounted the flywheel and the pulley on the 2.7 this morning. The "Z1" mark on the flywheel and the pulley don't line up on the case seam? The marks are off by about 5 degrees.

What's up?

- The engine is a '77 USA 2.7 formerly with CIS (now with 40IDA 3C carbs).
- Flywheel is an early style with integral starter ring and factory stamped timing marks.
- Pulley came off the '75 USA 2.7 that droppped an exhaust valve

The dowel pin on the pulley is correctly aligned.
The flywheel can only be mounted one way - is that correct?

Thanks

Eddie
ArtechnikA
is it a 914.6 flywheel? if not - i don't know that i'd trust any marks it has; only 914.6's are timed by a flywheel reference. probably best to positively establish TDC and mark the parts accordingly.
Eddie914
How can a 914.6 flywheel be distinguished?

Thanks

Eddie
ArtechnikA
it'll have part number 901.102.026.01 if the part number is on it, but i wouldn't expect more than a casting number (since it's identical to a 911 flywheel except for the markings...). other than that - i'm not sure. it will have a TDC mark and a 30* BTDC mark.

there are positive ways for establishing TDC; i'd suggest using one if there is doubt. but it's your call.
sixnotfour
short cranks 2.0-2.22 are indexed differently in relation to #1 TDC on the flywheel end .
The pulley is always right,(unless the pin is sheard) Mark the flywheel accordingly. The six flywheel just adds extra marks if your doing anything not using the 2.0-2.2 crankshaft.

2.7 crank the -6 flywheel marks wont line up.More like 20degree's off
GeorgeRud
Ditto on the last post, I was going nuts when I converted my 2.7 to the 914 gearbox with the same flywheel. The marks on the flywheel probably are correct for some engine, but not the 2.7. Just carefully line up the marks on the pulley and put a paint mark on the flywheel at TDC and 35 degrees advance, and you're all set.
IronHillRestorations
I found out about this the hard way. I sold a new 914-6 flywheel to a guy doing a conversion. I got a call "the flywheel is marked wrong, I'm sending it back". OK, sorry, here's your money back. After discussing this with some other Porsche guys I found out about the later crankshaft indexing.
Cap'n Krusty
BTDT. Ended up using a cold chisel and letter/number punches to mark the flywheel on a 2.4 conversion. Just line up the pulley notches with the case seam as you do it and you'll be fine. While timing CAN be done at the pulley on a 914/6, it just makes NO sense at all (and it's more than a little scary) ......... The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.