Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help decode a mystery vin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Monson
So,
I know some of you guys like VIN and engine mysteries.
We have a car here that we can't ID. Title says it is a '69 911. It is a T sun roof and a Karmann body with a '68 production date.

Engine serial number is 6177521. I am not finding either this engine number or chassis number listed in any of the books I have available to me. The engine serial number starts out like a late '77 2.7l case, but the rest of it doesn't jibe. And the type number has been filed off of it. Any thoughts are appreciated...
Cap'n Krusty
The chassis number is in the 69-71 book. The engine number appears bogus. Look at the casting # on the side of the case. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
it'd be a '69 Karmann T - if '69 VIN's went that high...looks like the high-number sequence number is 3561... '617' should be a '67 T but pre-'69 engine numbers were 6 digits.

i don't see the chassis number in the Spec book but the Cap'n has access to more books than i do ...
Matt Monson
We pretty much figured the engine number was bogus. The stamps are all squirrely, and appears to be restamped. The driver's side case is the correct part number for a 901/16, but there is so much muck, I can't read the passengerside one. We are kind of thinking someone may have mismatched a case. Either that, or when they restamped the case, they were stoned and instead of 6197521, they stamped it with a 7 in the third position. The lengths some people will go to to keep something "numbers correct". It is a 911t for god's sake...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.