Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Colors - Color code chart and pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Part Pricer
This question seems to come up around here from time to time. So, I thought that I would start a thread that includes some of the often-mentioned resources that also has a meaningful title.

There are two web sites that have a lot of this information laid out in easy-to-use formats. They are:

McMark's 914 Colors site (includes photos) and Charles Davis' 914 Colors chart.

Jeff Bowlsby also has some great original documentation at his 914 Paint & Fabric Sample Cards site.
Part Pricer
Now, the 914 was assembled in the Karmann factory in Osnabrück. The 4-cylinder models were completely assembled in this plant while the chassis for the 6-cylinder models were put together before being shipped to Porsche for completion.

Many of the paint colors that were used on the 914 were also used on many of the VW models that were also being assembled at Osnabrück at the time. Many of the shared colors can be referenced on the following VW color charts produced in the early '70s.

The colors available for this model year were:

Canary Yellow L11E
Signal Orange L20E
Tangerine L21E
Adriatic Blue L50E
Irish Green L60E
Light Ivory L80E
Silver Metallic L96D
Gemini Blue L96E
Metallic Red L97D
Metallic Green L97P
Metallic Blue L98P

The only color available for 1970 that is not referenced on this chart is Gemini Blue - L96E. However, that color does appear on the 1971 chart below.
Part Pricer

Black L04I
Canary Yellow L11E
Signal Orange L20E
Tangerine L21E
Bahia Red L30E
Adriatic Blue L50E
Irish Green L60E
Willow Green L63K
Light Ivory L80E
Silver Metallic L96D
Gemini Blue L96E
Gold Metallic L97G

Two colors for 1971 do not appear on this chart. They are Tangerine - L21E (listed but not shown, see 1970) and Gold Metallic - L97G (not shown on any charts).
Part Pricer

Black L04I
Saturn Yellow L13M
Signal Orange L20E
Tangerine L21E
Bahia Red L30E
Adriatic Blue L50E
Irish Green L60E
Willow Green L63K
Light Ivory L80E
Silver Metallic L96D
Gemini Blue L96E
Gold Metallic L97G

Only one color for 1972 does not appear on this chart, Gold Metallic - L97G (not shown on any charts).
Part Pricer

Black L04I
Sunflower Yellow L13K
Saturn Yellow L13M
Signal Orange L20E
Bahia Red L30E
Phoenix Red L32K
Olympic Blue L51P
Zambezi Green L64K
Ravenna Green L65K
Light Ivory L80E
Alaska Blue Metallic L96B
Silver Metallic L96D
Marathon Blue Metallic L96M
Delphi Green Metallic L99A

Three colors for 1973 do not appear on this chart. They are Sunflower Yellow - L21K (see 1976), Silver Metallic L96D (see 1972) and Delphi Green Metallic - L99A (not shown on any charts).
Part Pricer

Black L04I
Sunflower Yellow L13K
Chrome Yellow L13M
Signal Orange L20E
Bahia Red L30E
Phoenix Red L32K
Olympic Blue L51P
Zambezi Green L64K
Ravenna Green L65K
Light Ivory L80E
Alaska Blue Metallic L96B
Silver Metallic L96D
Marathon Blue Metallic L96M
Delphi Green Metallic L99A
Part Pricer

Black L04I
Berber Yellow L11D
Summer Yellow L13K
Nepal Orange L20C
Malaga Red L30C
Scarlet Red L31M
Laguna Blue L50C
Forest Green L64K
Light Ivory L80E
Palma Green Metallic L95K
Silver Metallic L96D
Anacona Blue Metallic L97B
Copper Metallic L99K
Part Pricer

Black L04I
Summer Yellow L13K
Nepal Orange L20C
Malaga Red L30C
Scarlet Red L31M
Laguna Blue L50C
Light Ivory L80E
Silver Metallic L96D
Viper Green Metallic L96N
Anacona Blue Metallic L97B
Part Pricer

I have these color charts in a PDF file. I'll post that shortly after I get some coffee.

markb
Nice! aktion035.gif
ArtechnikA
the 1970 color that VW called 'Lemon Yellow' (L11-E/2910) is referred to in Porsche documentation as "Canary Yellow." in 1970 Porsche still believed they made no lemons :-)
nein14
Anyone know the Porsche code for Azure Blue used on the 911's?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (nein14 @ Oct 9 2005, 08:54 AM)

what year?
that name doesn't show up on my '65->'73 list...
ejm
QUOTE (nein14 @ Oct 9 2005, 04:54 AM)

LY5D... factory chip book shows it as a 944 color '89-91'

is this the same "azure blue" you're looking for?
ejm
QUOTE (Part Pricer @ Oct 9 2005, 02:49 AM)

Only one color for 1972 does not appear on this chart, Gold Metallic - L97G (not shown on any charts).

it's shown as L97H here
JeffBowlsby
Very Nice Paul. there were at least two color books published, maybe they are just put out by different paint mfrs as references. I have the pages from another book on my collectibles website at the link in my signature.

Three colors for 1973 do not appear on this chart. They are Sunflower Yellow - L21K (see 1976)...

My page show both Chrome Yellow and Sunflower Yellow (BTW Sunflower is L13K not L21K) available in 1974.

Verruckt
This thread is awesome!

CLASSICS!!! smilie_pokal.gif
dheinz
Does this mean my 1970 six could not be an original 'black' car from the factory?
Is there a place on the car that would show the original color?
Were these cars 'dipped' or sprayed?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (dheinz @ Oct 9 2005, 01:26 PM)
Does this mean my 1970 six could not be an original 'black' car from the factory?
Is there a place on the car that would show the original color?

it does not mean that.
the color chips were the *standard* colors.
Porsche would "paint to sample" for what now seems to me a relatively small fee.
IIRC, a "nonstandard" but noncustom color was less - especially if it was already available for 911.

the Karmann coachbuilder's badge in the driver's side forward A pillar should have the color code. (and for a /6 - only the color code.) there's a code for "custom" color that i do not recall.

very definitely sprayed.
nein14
The flares on that black 914-6 look great! What are they from ?
nein14
My PPG paint code is 17156
Gustl
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Oct 9 2005, 02:26 PM)
the 1970 color that VW called 'Lemon Yellow' (L11-E/2910) is referred to in Porsche documentation as "Canary Yellow."  in 1970 Porsche still believed they made no lemons :-)

that's from the german name

this colour's original name is Zitronengelb, which translates to lemon yellow

wavey.gif Gustl
dheinz
nein14

The previous owner had the flairs installed. He did not say where they were from.
McMark
They look like Rabbit flares to me. I keep meaning to bring the colors pages over to this server. Call me lazy.
Tom_T
WTF.gif
MOD. - this should be a nailed thread where everyone can find it. confused24.gif
Maybe in Originality too?
smilie_pokal.gif type.gif
flipb
Just curious - anybody know why L13M was changed in nomenclature from Saturn Yellow to Chrome Yellow in 1974?

(As you see by my avatar, it's a relevant topic for me.)
johnnie5
Thanks guys for the very cool color and fabric info. I have a light ivory '75 with black and white houndstooth seats. I got this car with just over 40K original miles, and was under the impression that the seats are original. I have heard feedback in both directions - some pretty knowledgeable Porsche buffs say yes, while others say no. What say you?
johannes
Are you aware that all theese informations are already on our forum "914 info" page ?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors
Tom_T
QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 5 2009, 02:48 PM) *

Are you aware that all theese informations are already on our forum "914 info" page ?

Yes Johannes, but this gives actual paint samples & links to order the paints today!
Tom_T
Make me a nailed thread Pleeeez - people on here need my info.
signed - "This Thread Topic" biggrin.gif
charliew
Thats interesting, the ppg dealer said he couldn't make the ivory white for my son's 72 super beetle. He said he couldn't find a formula for two stage paint. He didn't seem to have the page posted here. I think he said he had the formula for acrylic enamel though.
Tom_T
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 24 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Thats interesting, the ppg dealer said he couldn't make the ivory white for my son's 72 super beetle. He said he couldn't find a formula for two stage paint. He didn't seem to have the page posted here. I think he said he had the formula for acrylic enamel though.

Charlie, I think that may be because it's easier for them to convince a customer to select a similar paint color from their current colors selection, than to do the extra work to track down the proper paint, which they should be able to do in either the classic enamels & lacquers, or in newer polyuerethane, 2-part epoxys, etc.

The Glasurit website linked here certainly explains that in their classic paints section as available in old or new materials, and the urethanes offer wear/longevity benefits over older paints..

Another option is to order the paint yourself from the appropriate local auto paint supplier(s) in town, then give to the paint guy.
Tom_T
Here's another 914 colors resource with sample car pix for many that I've found useful:
http://www.p914.com/p914_paint.htm

Anyone have that link to the German website with the 911s/912s in sample cars by colors that Gustl or Johannes or somebody posted on 914world a while back?
speed metal army
Soooo....Where is L98B in all this info?My 76 has L98B stamped on it..It seems the only place I can find it is the world info page,noone else has it.Its listed as "Lime Green Poly"on the volks chart.. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jan 30 2011, 05:17 PM) *

Soooo....Where is L98B in all this info?My 76 has L98B stamped on it..It seems the only place I can find it is the world info page,noone else has it.Its listed as "Lime Green Poly"on the volks chart.. confused24.gif

L98B is '76 only, Lime Green Metallic (Limonengrün-Metallic)

"Poly" simply refers to a metallic paint ...
shades.gif
SirAndy
Btw. here's a link to a good online color search application made by Glasurit:

http://color-online.glasurit.com/?language=8

popcorn[1].gif
speed metal army
Any way I can find out how many L98-B's were made?
Gustl
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jan 31 2011, 02:59 AM) *

no sad.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 30 2011, 09:02 PM) *

no sad.gif

Crap. sad.gif
Not that I have any particular reason for wanting to know,but it would have been interesting.I guess I just havent found many other L98-B's. confused24.gif
sixnotfour
confused24.gif
ctc911ctc
Sourcing Paint?

Any advice as to the vendor to use when sourcing this paint?

PPG web site is a infinite-time-sink for me, just spent an hour without being able to find my color LKL 96D (Metallic Silver, 1974)

Many thanks in advance,
CTC911CTC
7TPorsh
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Nov 5 2018, 08:02 AM) *

Sourcing Paint?

Any advice as to the vendor to use when sourcing this paint?

PPG web site is a infinite-time-sink for me, just spent an hour without being able to find my color LKL 96D (Metallic Silver, 1974)

Many thanks in advance,
CTC911CTC

Try here:
PaintScratch

Code is actually L96D
7TPorsh
Love playing with colors. Here's your matching T shirt:

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Jan 30 2011, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 30 2011, 09:02 PM) *

no sad.gif

Crap. sad.gif
Not that I have any particular reason for wanting to know,but it would have been interesting.I guess I just havent found many other L98-B's. confused24.gif

I don't think there were a lot. This is a beautiful color too.
eamesonly
Curious own a 1976 I've seen conflicting info were there two silvers a silver metallic and a diamond silver metallic? L96d and a l97?
sixnotfour
L97A, 75-76, 76 only, see Mcmarks chart.

Cornerlot
I recently tried to get a quart of Irish Green for touch up at he local paint store, in Acrylic Enamel to keep it simple. They had a PPG formula for the original lacquer, but the raw materials were no longer obtainable. They said they could mix up a 2-part urethane sample from their data chart, but had nothing for a standard acrylic enamel mix.

We scanned a portion of good original paint from the bottom of the deck lid, but that only picks a currently cataloged color that is the closest. The result was too dark looking.

Perhaps Glasurit has an enamel formula.
scottsilvertt
what color is this...I didnt see it in any of these threads.
scottsilvertt
what color is this, I didnt see it in any of the standard colors?
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.