Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery shrapnel from 2.7 six!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I've been working furiously to install the replacement 2.7 six. After many hours of upgrading, cleaning, and painting, removal of the sump screen reveals 14 ominous objects.

TimT
Look like teeth from your oil pump
Eddie914
another picture
Eddie914
I was thinking cam sprockets.
Allan
Definitely looking like some kind of gear teeth.
TimT
whatever it is, it isnt good
DonTraver
Intermedient Shaft?
Brando
GRENADE!!!

I would strongly reccommend taking that motor apart and overhauling it. Or at least splitting it to see what's exploded.

Those cold be oil pump teeth, cam teeth or crank teeth. In any scenario finding metal pieces in your sump is BAD.

I would highly reccommend NOT using that engine until whatever has broken is fixed.
redshift
I don't have anything cute to say, that I wouldn't kill myself for saying, at a time like this.

M
pete-stevers
is there any recourse from the po?
I would be more than just a little pissed off mad.gif
sixnotfour
Intermedient Shaft?

Yep layshaft chain wheel teeth, Strips the top of the teeth off.
I have seen em with no teeth still running, not for long though, exhaust valves bumping the pistons keeps em in time barely.
Repeat ... Check sump screen first.

You wont be at the track on the 15th. mad.gif
effutuo101
That really bites!
Let me know if you need an extra set of hands.
Chris
Eddie914
Chris,

Thanks for the offer.

I should be able to shove a stick of dynomite and liight the fuse by myself!

Eddie
Bleyseng
FUCK! ohmy.gif
sixnotfour
SOB
Series9
I agree that they look like chain sprocket remnants from the layshaft.

Yes it sucks, but it's not a disaster. Don't start the engine again.

If you haven't done it before, you get to learn to build a six (that's looking on the bright side).

Wanna sell it? cool.gif
Eddie914
Thanks shocking!

I've seen many a chainwheel that has worn to look like a sawblade, but nothing like that.

I pulled the covers and looked for broken or worn teeth on the idlers and the cam chainwwheels. Everything looked pretty good. I rotated the engine and looked in at the layshaft chainwheels and didn't see any broken teeth. I didn't have a mirror or a remote light at the time so getting a really good look was difficult, but I didn't see anything dramatic. I was expecting to see squared off teeth.

What's the cause? Overrev usually bends valves.

Thanks

Eddie
sixnotfour
tensioner failure, Sometimes people with the gaurds don't notice the chain noise and keep driving ,you see the result
Now you know why it has new pressure fed tensioners.
Christmass is coming put on your list JE Pistons and some Camshafts,

I would strongly reccommend taking that motor apart and overhauling it. Or at least splitting it to see what's exploded.

agree.gif Its Done. You cant wish it OK

It may have had bent valves, they didnt want to split the case,valve job and tensioners it runs ,Not good enough .

Its an old motor who knows,
DNHunt
Man Eddie that's too bad.

Dave
Root_Werks
That sucks Eddie! ohmy.gif I hope you get it all back together quickly.
Eddie914
I'm planning on doing a closer inspection of the countershaft chain wheels (sprockets) tonight.

I'm wondering if the broken teeth were from cam chainwheels that were replaced when the oil fed tensioners were installed?

I've never blown up two engines in one year. Maybe I'll start it up and take a nice easy drive ... at the track.

Eddie

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.