Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lifting The 3.6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I'm going to be test fitting the 3.6, so it will have to be lift in and out of the car multiple times. The bottom of the case is not really floor jack friendly, so I'm wondering if anyone has any great ideas for lifting these big MoFo motors safely and securely. I'm aiming to not be dependand on someone else to help steady the motor.
McMark
For reference...
jonwatts
I know nothing of where you can or should lift the sixes from, but if you have a center beam in your shop you might be able to lift the engine up and down through the engine lid opening. Having it hang from chains would allow you to move it around more easily until you figure out where exactly it should go.

Just an untested idea.

redshift
I would take a 6' 2x6, and make a little trolley for it, that fits the underside of the block, and has a foot, for the jack..

That motor weighs enough to NOT DO THIS ALONE. It's not a Chevy, you have to get under it... cool_shades.gif

There are many burgers left in this World, get your fair share. smile.gif

M
SirAndy
i think both ideas would work. some sort of support and a floor jack or chains through the engine comp. ...

i'd come up and help 'ya, but i just got up after an all-night party thing, meaning i'll need a few minutes to regroup ...
drunk.gif Andy
kdfoust
If you've got some HEs you can bolt on it'll provide a nice flat surface for an ATV lift. Yesterday we placed a 2x6 across the rails of the ATV lift and placed the engine with HEs on top of that. If you look here you can see the ATV lift with the engine and tranny on it. The advantage of the ATV lift is that they are low, about 5", in the down position and lift almost straight up without any balancing dramatics.

Later,
Kevin
redshift
Here's an idea I had, might need 2, and the ATV jack!

J P Stein
The verticles go under the cam covers.....them finny thingies outboard ot the return tubes.
J P Stein
Stable as hell. You could dance on it.
ArtechnikA
as available at Pelican, on EBay, and elsewhere...
911 Engine Lift Adapter 3,2/3,6
J P Stein
The problem with that type is that a floor jack has a narrow footprint at the wheels....unless you have one of them hi-dollar land battleships. biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Oct 9 2005, 05:04 PM)
You could dance on it.

Do I need to make reservations?

smile.gif

M
Mueller
Mark, I just picked up a bunch of CRS in various sizes (1/4" plate, a few rounds, 1/4" x 1", etc....)

I'll take some pictures on Monday, I plan stopping off at Tonys shop and giving him a few pieces of it, you are free to some of it as well.

jnaughton
The common practice w/ 911's is to lift the entire car with a floor jack under the engine case, so don't worry about hurting the motor as long as you lift by the case.
Two jacks works ok w/ 2x4s. Whatever the technique, two people are best.
JN
iamchappy
I've used an engine lift many times used with a stabilizer and attaching the chains to front and back top of the engine. I have brackets basically a piece of flat bar steel with holes to attach the chains to. you can use the transmission bolt area and a case bolt by the oil pressure sender. It makes for a very easy lift and position into place because you can swing it and angle it around as you please.
736conver
Here's my engine lift of choice. Works good to jack up and just work on it too. You do have to raise the car up a little more then usual

Series9
I did mine old school with a piece of 2x6 on top of a standard floor jack.

Next time I'll have one of those cool motorcycle jacks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.