Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Today I was looking at a sand rail mag. and they had cable shifters for mid engine sand rails for around $400. Has anyone ever looked into using one of these and adapting it to a side shift or tail shifter? idea.gif welder.gif
MecGen

Did you find it on the net also ? sounds real interesting.
I have on heard rumors and whispers, would like to see one up close and personal.
Gotta link?

Later

beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Oct 9 2005, 02:59 PM)
Today I was looking at a sand rail mag. and they had cable shifters for mid engine sand rails for around $400. Has anyone ever looked into using one of these and adapting it to a side shift or tail shifter? idea.gif welder.gif

lots of work....
spare time toys
QUOTE (MecGen @ Oct 9 2005, 05:21 PM)
Did you find it on the net also ? sounds real interesting.
I have on heard rumors and whispers, would like to see one up close and personal.
Gotta link?

Later

beerchug.gif

No it was just in some reading material laying around work. It looked like it would not be that hard to make work though.
tat2dphreak
I think someone here adapted a cable shifter... it may have been for a 915 though confused24.gif it's been brought up, but I dunno if anyone was successful
john rogers
Patrick motorsports in Phoenix has a setup similar to what you are looking for but they use the regular shifter on most all their race cars. I was thinking of a cable shifter but once I bought a Rennshift, sealed coupler and better bushing for the rear support there was no need. The trans shifts about as good as the one in my new mini as there is no slop or free play anywhere. Just remember it is a 35 year old design and has some limitations.
Jeroen
there's a company out there that sells bolt on cable shifters
they're called brandwood
they used to have a website (www.brandwoodcars.com) but it's gone...
dbledsoe
QUOTE (john rogers @ Oct 9 2005, 06:29 PM)
Patrick motorsports in Phoenix has a setup similar to what you are looking for but they use the regular shifter on most all their race cars. I was thinking of a cable shifter but once I bought a Rennshift, sealed coupler and better bushing for the rear support there was no need. The trans shifts about as good as the one in my new mini as there is no slop or free play anywhere. Just remember it is a 35 year old design and has some limitations.

John,

Can you elaborate on the sealed coupler and better bushings for the rear support? Are these different than the standard 914 couple and rear support bushing, and if so where can one buy them? As a part of my Buick V6 conversion in my 75 side shift I replaced every bushing in the shift linkage system with new OEM Porsche stuff and the shifting is still about as sloppy as it was before. I'm considering the Renn shifter but if there are other things like the sealed coupler and rear support you speak of that are better than the OEM stuff I'd like to give that a try.

Thanks,

Don
Brett W
pull the shifter from an Accord. They have a really nice Shifter base. Then order some nice push pull cables from Chassis Shop. Replace the stock rubber cable ends with some solid rod ends and fab a bracket set up for the tranny end.
spare time toys
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Oct 9 2005, 08:09 PM)
they're called brandwood

Jist did a search and found them. $595 for a set up for a 914.
john rogers
I bought the coupler from Stomski Racing (http://www.stomskiracing.com/) and make sure you tell him it is for a 914. The firewall and rear busings I made from delrin and machined to replace the stock ones with a cover holding the firewall bushing in place. I made the rear tube section from a piece of thin walled cro-mo tubing and welded the rear section on from a stock shift rod. I thought someone here or on the Bird Board was selling the bonze bushings?
dbledsoe
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Oct 9 2005, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Oct 9 2005, 08:09 PM)
they're called brandwood

Jist did a search and found them. $595 for a set up for a 914.

Sounds good but a web site link where you found them would be nice. smash.gif Or is it the web site you listed (www.brandwoodcars.com)? confused24.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (dbledsoe @ Oct 9 2005, 09:45 PM)
Sounds good but a web site link where you found them would be nice. smash.gif Or is it the web site you listed (www.brandwoodcars.com)? confused24.gif

The site is WWW.brandwoodcarsllc.com the phone number is 602-437-3107
MattR
How about adapting a cable shifter from a mitsubishi eclipse? I saw a writeup on it a while ago and I think the guy built it out of a junkyard and a mcmaster catalog.
andys
Try an MR2 shifter. There was/is one on Ebay just the other day complete with cables. $26 was the bid then. Looked very nice.

As for cables, go directly to CableCraft....oh, they are now Tuthill Corp. The local (there are several across the US) distributors can make them to any length, any bulkhead, and any end. IMO, they are better than Morse, and cheaper too.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.