Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shaved my door handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
After having my second door handle break, I decided to do something different.

I made a lever out of a piece of tubing. Drilled a hole through one end that fits over a pin that I welded to the door. Flattened the other end and smoothed it out.

user posted image

Welded a hook to the lever that goes inward. A wire loop runs between the hook and the release latch inside...

user posted image

Lift up on the lever to open, the spring returns it to the bottom stop...

user posted image

Weld a piece of sheet metal across the surface to shave the door handle, and the crude design is hidden for a clean look. Keeping the recess behind the door makes it convenient to reach a finger behind and lift the latch. It releases easier than ever and won't break.

user posted image

(Ok, I figure someone will ask, so... No, I don't miss the door locks. I never lock the doors. I keep valuables locked in the trunk and have a hidden ignition cut off switch for theft protection. smile.gif )

Mueller
pretty ingenious !!!!!

I like it....the wire looks a little on the thin side.....
Rand
Yeah, the wire in the photo seems a bit hoaky. I was planning on making a nicer piece there... maybe washers welded to the ends of a piece of small rod. But it lifts so easily that my temporary wire isn't stressing at all. Maybe I'll get around to upgrading that piece later. smile.gif
URY914
And we wonder why people say 914 owners are cheap?

Good work, the factory should have done that in the first place. wink.gif

Paul
Tobra
Frugal, not cheap.

You keep valuables in your car? Right now, my tires are the most valuable thing in the vicinity of my car.
Air_Cooled_Nut
What do you do about securing the car (un/locking doors)? Guess you could use a remote entry system (and pray the battery never dies...).
Air_Cooled_Nut
Oh, but neat idea! smilie_pokal.gif
Rand
I don't miss the door locks. I have never locked the doors. I keep valuables locked in the trunk and have a hidden ignition cut off switch for theft protection. smile.gif

ClayPerrine
That looks really cool!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
horizontally-opposed
This is an idea with some legs on it...

Nicely done! smilie_pokal.gif

pete
firstknight13
great idea to bad VW oops i mean PORSCHE didn't think of it first biggrin.gif
davep
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Oct 11 2005, 12:47 PM)
What do you do about securing the car (un/locking doors)? Guess you could use a remote entry system (and pray the battery never dies...).

Idiot grandson did that to his Civic. Honda says you have to open the hood from inside the car. So if the cable breaks then you have to use a can-openner? I figure any self-respecting car jacker would take 15 seconds to get in. But I'm in no hurry to retrieve the car.
mharrison
Typically a solenoid type keyless\handle-less entry system has a "Hidden" button for a manual release. Anyone who puts one of those on their car (Honda or whatever) should always incorporate this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.