Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deep Oil Sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
Keep seeing deep oil sump for sale on Ebay anyone have any experence? Good? No good? Like the idea of more oil. Do not like it being so low. dry.gif
Aaron Cox
watch out for speedbumps...

i cant even run a tuna can on my car....
machina
every type IV I have seen at the track has one hanging down, unless the motor is dry sumped.

for a street car however, it is risky and probably not necessary.

I couldn't make it around the track at all without my deep sump. Even the force of braking would cause starvation at the pickup.
smg914
The sump or tuna can is a must if your are going race your 914-4. I used the sump on my 914-4 race car but it got ripped off the bottom of the engine twice while racing at Sebring. For that reason maybe the tuna can is better. Without the sump or tuna can, on very high speed turns on a race track or on very fast sharp turns in an autocross, the engine can loose oil pressure. Without a sump or tuna can the oil will splashing to one side of the engine away from the oil pickup which results in loss of oil pressure.
BMartin914
I've got one and it's all scratched up by the PO. If that's any indication of how low it hangs.

I keep thinking about getting rid of it...it is a street car after all.
porschecb
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Oct 11 2005, 07:03 PM)
I've got one and it's all scratched up by the PO. If that's any indication of how low it hangs.

I keep thinking about getting rid of it...it is a street car after all.

I hear Yea! What I do the local streets is an E ticket! But to plan a/x and Big track TT! Thanks fot the info!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Been running one of the sumps I sell for the past 12K miles in the teener and even living on a dirt road I have yet to scrub it once... The engine is so close to the rear wheels that you glide right over many obstacles..
Britain Smith
Hey Jake, which sump do you sell?

-Britain
Brotherbob
I have a finned deep sump that I plan on using but I wonder about the hook ups?
I have 2 outlets on the sump , 2 on the engine (cooler removed) , and a new oil cooler in the front bumper.
? Which hose goes where ?
I dont have my engine in yet but it doesnt look like a clearance issue ?!! hijacked.gif
Brando
Are you wanting the extra oil capacity or the non-oil starvation?

If just starvation, go with a tunacan or one of those external pressurized sumps that add oil when pressure gets low ($75-$500).
porschecb
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 12 2005, 09:42 AM)
Are you wanting the extra oil capacity or the non-oil starvation?

If just starvation, go with a tunacan or one of those external pressurized sumps that add oil when pressure gets low ($75-$500).

Thought a little xtra oil will keep things a little cooler? and starvation in hard cornering? confused24.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 11 2005, 09:22 PM)
Been running one of the sumps I sell for the past 12K miles in the teener and even living on a dirt road I have yet to scrub it once... The engine is so close to the rear wheels that you glide right over many obstacles..

Yea but your 914 is too high. biggrin.gif
I run a tuna can which does sit in line with the rear wheels as mentioned above.
No dings.
nebreitling
yup, i can't run over speed bumps in my car, and i scrape driveways all the time, but i'm not too worried about the tuna can. it would take an odd object to knock it.

i think if you run R-compound tires it's necessary -- otherwise, i wouldn't bother.
roundboy914
I had the deep sump on my street/track car - and after 1000 miles it was trashed. The tuna can works fine, and doesn't hag nearly as low. No problems with oil pressure even on long sweepers like the carousel at Road america.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Oct 12 2005, 02:15 PM)
yup, i can't run over speed bumps in my car, and i scrape driveways all the time, but i'm not too worried about the tuna can. it would take an odd object to knock it.

i think if you run R-compound tires it's necessary -- otherwise, i wouldn't bother.

hmmm... maybe ill put it on then. i scrape speedbumps too.....

praise the L O W E R E D biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Oct 12 2005, 01:15 PM)

I sure as hell would bother! With mediocre 195-60-15 tires, I was able to get the oil light to come on in sweeping turns. The one at the "far end" of the Santa Rosa Airport autoX site was one such--that was what convinced me to get the tuna can in the first place!! Freeway on- and off-ramps, too.

Now, with the tuna can and an extra ~1/2 quart of oil in the sump, I only have oil-light issues after about 3.5 on- and off-ramps in a row. smile.gif

--DD
nebreitling
wow, dave... this was in an otherwise healthy engine with good oil pressure? it seems a little excessive in a stockish car, but i suppose that tires have come a long way in 30 years...

as soon as i can come up with the scratch, i'll be accusump-ing mine.
bernbomb914
I think there are two differant size sumps. one hold about 1.5 quarts the other about three, which would hang much lower

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.