Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: damn theives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
OMB_Godfather
So my stereo got stolen out of my 914 too many times now (1), an dim gonna make a stab at hiding the deck from view. First i thought about an electronic drop down box that comes out underneath the dash. Problem with that is theres not enough room for a deck under there. Now I'm on to plan B which is still kinda in the thought process. I'm going to try to make a center console that has the deck angled up at the front towards the back of the car. And im gonna throw some cup holders in there with a nice leather or vinyl wrapped pad on top. Anyone ever tried this before? Successfully?
effutuo101
I havn't done that, but it is pretty easy with some press board, some angle brakets, some fabric and some cardboard for a template. find something you like and you can dial it in. you can work a small drop down screen out of plastic and some guides. Lots of ways to go with this. I opted for a $25 dollar model from the sale at a stereo shop
OMB_Godfather
I already know what deck im getting. im kind of a stereo freak.
user posted image
Its a JVC MP3 deck with a 3 angle face plate. It was the one i had until it got 5 finger discounted out of the dash. I took an old knob stereo and cut the face off and thats whats in my dash right now. Kind of a little decoy.
mharrison
You need a Kenwood eXcelon KMD-X92

user posted image

Here's the cool part!
The D MASK+ motorized faceplate (with a high-resolution full dot matrix fluorescent display) automatically reverses the faceplate when the car is turned off, so that only a blank plate is visible
. For extra security, you can remove the face and take it with you.

Here's a link to the stereo itself, but Crutchfield is out currently:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tium8UxIyRH/c...i=113KMDX92#Tab
bd1308
i've got one of those....

it's great...looks like you dont have a stereo

mine's the XDC-X859 kenwood excelon

it's gud.
Dr. Roger

Yea', that's pretty good but where do you plug in your IPod? Mines got a removeable faceplate and an auxillary input. 8-))) 20 Gigs of fun. Or I can playback my video cam thru the headset for enhanced sound. (Reno Air Races. Look out!) biggrin.gif

My last ride had the decoy POS stereo installed in the stock location and the REAL stereo in the glove box. No one ever touched it.
airsix
I did a decent stereo install in mine a few years ago (Kenwood chameleon head unit, 6" separates, 10" sub, big amp) but if I was to do it all again today I'd just have a jack to plug my iPod into instead of a head unit.

-Ben M.
dlo914
has anyone tried relocating the headunit to the center console? i plan to delete the currect location and alter a stock center console; when i get my car back on the road in the next few days biggrin.gif
bondo
QUOTE (mharrison @ Oct 11 2005, 08:33 PM)

user posted image

Here's the cool part!
The D MASK+ motorized faceplate (with a high-resolution full dot matrix fluorescent display) automatically reverses the faceplate when the car is turned off, so that only a blank plate is visible
. For extra security, you can remove the face and take it with you.

Here's a link to the stereo itself, but Crutchfield is out currently:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tium8UxIyRH/c...i=113KMDX92#Tab

Hey now here's an idea.. take one of those and glue basketweave onto the "off" side.. It'll disappear into the dash! biggrin.gif
OMB_Godfather
ya well where i live if the stereo turns itself around to hide then its a prime target just to see what kind it is. I want to hide it altogether so tomoro im gonna get some thin press board and start cuttin
MecGen
Hey
Cool thred smilie_pokal.gif
I love music/sound systems but know very little on the spec side of things. Your screwed...now you gotta help me with finding my next system. aktion035.gif
The 16 year old at Future Shop is OK but...

Just in passing...I had a alarm in my 914, with a ear splitter option. It was basicaly a module with backup power supply (10 min), motion detector, KICKASS SIREN.

Basically it worked like this. someone cuts your battery cable or not, module can work for 10 minutes alone. A motion senser (problem), is part of this kit. The interior siren was the whole key, it was on such a wicked frequency, you would have permanent hearing damage after 30 seconds. But its imposible to stay that long.
The motion sensor was a bitch to set up correctly, and I haven't seen the siren advertised in a long time. I imagine the legal issues. But it realy worth looking into.

thanx for letting me ramble
Later
Hammy
QUOTE (MecGen @ Oct 12 2005, 04:01 AM)
I haven't seen the siren advertised in a long time. I imagine the legal issues. But it realy worth looking into.

What is it? model.
MecGen
Hey
I still have the siren packed in a box deep in no mans land. Its about 10 years ago, its very small, I hid it in the console.
The WeweWeweWe sound was so hi pitched you would swear your ears were melting, I found this out at the install. It was a very popular back then but when I installed the new alarm in the Gran Prix, people didn't seem to know it ?

Later

PS...it was a siren made specially for this.
Hammy
QUOTE (MecGen @ Oct 12 2005, 12:10 PM)
Hey
I still have the siren packed in a box deep in no mans land. Its about 10 years ago, its very small, I hid it in the console.
The WeweWeweWe sound was so hi pitched you would swear your ears were melting, I found this out at the install. It was a very popular back then but when I installed the new alarm in the Gran Prix, people didn't seem to know it ?

Later

PS...it was a siren made specially for this.

Ah. I'm just contemplating my future anti-theft route. Or anti-car theft route.
Either a siren or a hidden ignition cut off switch, which I have no idea how that's set up.
airsix
Here's what I want:

Small disposable propane can (like used for handheld torch)
Solenoid valve to release propane gas into a piece of pipe.
$19 HEI ignition amp, an old coil, and a sparkplug
$2 555 timer from radioshack, wired to provide 10 cycle per sec square wave.

Wire up to alarm. When alarm goes off valve opens releasing propane into pipe. 555 timer triggers the sparkplug 10 times per second, igniting pulses of propane resulting in 10 loud 'BANG's per second.

Perp runs away peeing pants and tells friends some dude shot at him with a machine gun.

-Ben M.
jonwatts
No trick to the frequency for an interior siren, just need the dB level to be above the threshhold of pain; 120 - 140 dB ought to do it.

I like the idea of stuff like this, but I don't know who's electronics skills I'd trust enough to feel comfortable in a car so equipped. Imagine going over some rough railroad tracks and having that thing go off! Or Ben's machine gun! Or the flame thrower!!
Rand
Airsix! laugh.gif I like your ideas! biggrin.gif

As for me, I've gone personal stereo. If I wanted to share the sound with others, then I would install a kickin' amp and speakers with a 1/8" jack in the dash that goes straight to the amp. I would then connect a cable from the headphone jack of my personal stereo (Radio YourWay, Sirius portable, MP3 Player, whatever) to the dash and let the thumpin' begin.

Personally, I like the Radio YourWay because it's AM/FM and MP3 all in one, plus it's like a radio tivo... I can program it to record my favorite radio shows and play them at whim - and fast forward through commercials...
GTeener
QUOTE (airsix @ Oct 12 2005, 11:51 AM)
Here's what I want:

Small disposable propane can (like used for handheld torch)
Solenoid valve to release propane gas into a piece of pipe.
$19 HEI ignition amp, an old coil, and a sparkplug
$2 555 timer from radioshack, wired to provide 10 cycle per sec square wave.

Wire up to alarm. When alarm goes off valve opens releasing propane into pipe. 555 timer triggers the sparkplug 10 times per second, igniting pulses of propane resulting in 10 loud 'BANG's per second.

Perp runs away peeing pants and tells friends some dude shot at him with a machine gun.

-Ben M.

Results look like this huh?
GTeener
Install a piece of stromberg.gif decoy head unit and hide the real deal from public view. cool.gif

Or install an security system that will electrocute whoever touches your door handles biggrin.gif
Hammy
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Oct 12 2005, 01:30 PM)
I like the idea of stuff like this, but I don't know who's electronics skills I'd trust enough to feel comfortable in a car so equipped. Imagine going over some rough railroad tracks and having that thing go off!

I agree... I'd have to REALLY trust the electrician who installed it. Kinda like earlier this spring whenever I'd turn the wheel in the 914 the horn would short out and stay on rolleyes.gif
OMB_Godfather
well i finished my console and it turned out great. i carpeted it with 1/8 in thick black felt and i would have taken a pic of it but my damn digital cam went dead and i cant find the charger.
Hammy
screwy.gif
Find that charger ... dry.gif
MecGen
Hey Quick story

When I was in high school a bud had a MG Midget. His sterio got ripped 3 times. The first time they cut the top, to get in. After the second time, on the 3rd sterio, Einstien desides to appoxy razor blades all over the rear half of the radio. It happened. There was blood.

The theif still took the radio then proceed to slash the dash, seats, door panel, top (again), and finally punch a hole with screwdriver thru the speedo.

Food for thought

later

beerchug.gif
ehick72
I had mine stolen recentely. The radio itself was such a piece of Kaa Kaa that I know it brought more heart ache into the theif's life than my own. I wish I could thank them. Everytime you would go to turn the volume down it would go up quickly, thus almost causing me to wreck each time. The only downside to getting it stolen (besides that inital feeling of being violated when you get in the car that morning) was the fact that they cut the oil line to my oil pressure gauge thinking it was a speaker wire. 30 Seconds for me to fix.

I've always believed the best security is eliminating the desire. You can do this by building a bigger barrier or just not having something they want. I choose the later. My car currently sits in the parking lot with a huge hole where the radio used to be. I know they check it every so often thinking I am going to replace it but OOOOHHH NOOOO!!!! finger.gif

My plan for new tunage is to basically get the ugliest am/fm turner I can find, hopefully at the junkyard. Then use my sirius radio to send a signal to my AM/FM tuner with it's FM transmitter. Amps and speakers are much easier to conceal and protect.
meares
uhhh........take the face plate off???
bd1308
QUOTE (MecGen @ Oct 17 2005, 05:52 AM)
Hey Quick story

When I was in high school a bud had a MG Midget. His sterio got ripped 3 times. The first time they cut the top, to get in. After the second time, on the 3rd sterio, Einstien desides to appoxy razor blades all over the rear half of the radio. It happened. There was blood.

The theif still took the radio then proceed to slash the dash, seats, door panel, top (again), and finally punch a hole with screwdriver thru the speedo.

Food for thought

later

beerchug.gif

with the blood i would have found the guy.....

that REALLY pisses me off....
ehick72
uhhh........take the face plate off???

uhhh....actually the only time in 6 months that I ever left the faceplate on, my car was then broken into. Which means they were casing it. That's what I'm saying....it's a bright yellow 914...it already draws attention.... that missing faceplate and the nice pretty red blinking light makes them think it's worth something. Best security...eliminate the desire. Must I say it again.
bd1308
people here dont know what a 914 is.....

so i tell em its a VW....

actually the hiding cd deck is great!, except when you take the faceplate and then realize that everyone now knows that its hiding....
seanery
booby traps are illegal in most states.

I'd just let 'em take the radio, it's better than pissing off some guy who is then gonna kick a door in, rip seats, bust a window....

Just keep your insurance up to date and get a $0 comprehensive deductible.
meares
that SUX!!!! the first time in 6 months you've left it on and some punkass rips it!! sorry about that! i've put a quick release sparco wheel in mine, so i either lock it in the trunk or take it inside....
ehick72
Well I live in the city....it goes with the territory I guess. What makes me nervous is when I am doing work to the 914 and have to park my Land Cruiser outside for a few days which then turns into weeks. I like the stering wheel idea however. I thought those were just for racing.
Brando
Just have a carbomb go off.

If the bastage lives, put them in jail, sue them and get a new car.

If they die, you can always tell insurance the culprit destroyed the car, you don't know how, get a new one.
airsix
QUOTE (seanery @ Oct 17 2005, 05:18 AM)
I'd just let 'em take the radio, it's better than pissing off some guy who is then gonna kick a door in, rip seats, bust a window....

I don't go for that. It amounts to a social program where we pay our insurance companies to give free stereos to theives.
Be charitable. Be a good neighbor. Help the honest man in need. But when someone destroys your property and steals your possesions you don't just roll over and hope they leave you some crumbs. This encourages theives and makes it more likely that others of us will become targets.
-Ben M.
fiid
You could buy an amp, stick it under a seat, and use an iPod. Take the iPod with you when you leave; and you'll be pretty damned secure.

andys
I always though the best place for an alarm horn was INSIDE the car. They often go ignored, and are marginally loud enough outside the car....but inside it'd be too loud to tolerate. Otherwise, conceal your stereo....Outta sight-outta mind.

Andys
bd1308
what about the simple solution: taking the faceplate with you?

is there anyway to get a faceplate for a stolen radio?

b
OMB_Godfather
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 17 2005, 03:53 PM)
what about the simple solution: taking the faceplate with you?

is there anyway to get a faceplate for a stolen radio?

Black Market. If someone steals a stereo that needs a face pplate theres always someone who stole a faceplate that needs a stereo
bd1308
sad.gif shucks....

(kicks a rock.....)

so what do we do now?

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (MecGen @ Oct 17 2005, 05:52 AM)
Hey Quick story

Food for thought

later

beerchug.gif

19 years ago, when I first got my 914, I only had a key to fit the ignition lock. So someone decided that they needed the radio more than I did. Well, I put a new radio in, and also left them a suprise.

I took a piece of picture hanging wire (thin, stiff wire) about 6 feet long, and using heavy leather gloves, alternated triple barb fish hooks and double edged razor blades on it. Then I wrapped it around the wiring and the back of the radio.

About a week later I came out to go to work, and found the passenger door open, the radio knobs missing, a puddle of blood on the floor of the car, and a trail of blood out to the curb. After cleaning it up I looked under the dash and found hunks of meat hanging off the fish hooks.

Serves the b@stard right!

bd1308
yeah but someone else posted that his friend did that and the bastard came back and slashed up everything and stabbed a hole in his speedo....

ohmy.gif
Brando
Some theives actually know when to cut their losses.

I thing gassing them with HALON or CARBON or NITROUS OXIDE would be best smile.gif

Come out a few hours later and they're passed out and/or needing an ambulance.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 17 2005, 09:11 PM)
Some theives actually know when to cut their losses.

I thing gassing them with HALON or CARBON or NITROUS OXIDE would be best smile.gif

Come out a few hours later and they're passed out and/or needing an ambulance.

Halon.... then you can claim that the thieves tripped your fire system.... biggrin.gif
Brando
Cleans up with a vacuum cleaner, right? biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
Halon is a non corrosive gas... it dissipates on it's own. It also displaces all the oxygen in the air... smothering the fire (and anyone caught in the room too).

The thieves get in the car and close the door. They try to steal the stereo. The door locks snap down and the halon discharges. Thieves pass out from lack of oxygen. When they wake up they have a REALLY bad headache from oxygen depravation. That is, if they wake up.......

bd1308
yeah man...what are you going to do with a dead body?

b
Brando
Call the police! Or have the alarm trigger a beeper on your keys or something...
airsix
Clay,
You rock. Guys, pay attention. Clay made a theif run crying home to his mommy. Awesome. Clay is the king of this thread now. pray.gif

-Ben M.
Dr. Roger
(1) "HARDENED STEEL" STEERING WHEEL/STEREO LOCK.

(2) REMOTE CONTROL ACTIVATION, SHUT OFF & TAZER TEST.

(3) MOTION DETECTOR & SCREECHING 130 DECIBEL SIREN.

(4) 5,900 MILLIWATTS OF PATENTED "TAZER ZAP" TECHNOLOGY.

(5) LOWERS QUALIFIED INSURANCE RATES BY 15%.
airsix
If you try to find more info about the "auto tazer" you just get this:
Unfortunately, this item is no longer imported into this country and thus is no longer available.

Some crybaby probably sued. dry.gif
-Ben M.
OMB_Godfather
Good news i got the digital camera working and now i have pics of my center console i made monkeydance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.