Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odor de 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rough_Rider
Wife won't come near the 14, nor near the garage. Not necessarily a bad thing. Basically the fuel smell in garage can get seriously overpowering.
With Fall setting in the NorthWest i can't just leave the door cracked open. House gets too cold.

So my question is how do i prevent the gas tank from venting Or vent the garage.
Car setup with triple weber 40's & a 8 gallon fuel cell with open to atmosphere vent. Thinking a one way vent valve in tank might help?
TROJANMAN
is the smell as bad just sitting there as just after a drive?
bondo
Sounds like something is wrong. The tank should have a charcoal cannister between the gas and your nose. Either something is wrong with that system, or you have a leak somewhere.
ArtechnikA
if the car is not operated the tank should probably be emptied to prevent stale fuel (bad...) or at least - treated with StaBil. (reminds me - i have to drain the 911's tank after i run compression and leakdown tests this weekend ...)

it should be pretty easy to cap the tank vent.

i'd think the biggest problem is the float bowls. if you're using the factory air cleaner housing, stick a tennis ball or something in the snorkel. or rubber-band a plastic bag over the opening. if you're using "open" air filter assemblies, it could help to cover them with something - plastic trash bags, perhaps.
bondo
QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 12 2005, 12:18 PM)
Sounds like something is wrong. The tank should have a charcoal cannister between the gas and your nose. Either something is wrong with that system, or you have a leak somewhere.

Heh, I should read posts more carefully. PHLBT! wacko.gif

You can always add a charcoal cannister. (a lighter one from a more modern car would probably be a better choice in your case)
Rough_Rider
No charcoal cannister, car is stripped & race preped. Fuel cell has a open vent valve with hose venting under car, foam in hose prevents debris entering line. But doesn't prevent vapours escaping.

Smell just seems to permiate the garage overnight. Driving her is fine, smelly for sure but fine.

My current thinking is to pick up a rollover 1 way checkvalve. Any other racers / fuel cell users have this problem??
jsteele22
Also check the fuel hoses from the gas tank to the hard plastic lines that enter the tunnel. These are out of sight, and can be neglected for decades. When old a and cracked (besides being hazardous, they can weep a tiny amount of gas -- just enough to smell up a closed garage, say.
SLITS
If it's a race car with an 8 gallon fuel cell, he prolly replaces all the lines with SS braid.

Solution....keep the garage real cold so the fuel does not volatize to the atmosphere so readily..........or extend the vent line to outside the garage and thrill your neighbors with the smell of exotic racing fuel wacko.gif
Cap'n Krusty
And yet ANOTHER "feature" of a carb conversion. Hang on, folks, they're pourin' out today! The Cap'n
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Oct 12 2005, 11:07 AM)
Wife won't come near the 14, nor near the garage. Not necessarily a bad thing. Basically the fuel smell in garage can get seriously overpowering.
With Fall setting in the NorthWest i can't just leave the door cracked open. House gets too cold.

So my question is how do i prevent the gas tank from venting Or vent the garage.
Car setup with triple weber 40's & a 8 gallon fuel cell with open to atmosphere vent. Thinking a one way vent valve in tank might help?

Mine is on stands. My 4 year old went out there the other night, and typically the garage is clean. The smell of gas, oil and brake cleaner filled the air. He walks out and said it smells good out here Dad.... oooooohhhhhhh yes... That's my boy!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 12 2005, 02:33 PM)
And yet ANOTHER "feature" of a carb conversion. Hang on, folks, they're pourin' out today! The Cap'n

In da mornin',
In da evenin'
Ain't we gots fun....................

Nothing like the smell of burnt oil colliding with Corral #5
jsteele22
QUOTE (SLITS @ Oct 12 2005, 02:31 PM)
If it's a race car with an 8 gallon fuel cell, he prolly replaces all the lines with SS braid.

Oops, I missed that.

Here's an idsea that may please the wife :

the solution
BMartin914
I've got the same smell in my interior. I also don't have a carbon canister of any sort on my car, just a bare tank and no vent lines whatsoever.

Dumb question #1: Would the addition of one most likely cure this smell?

Dumb question #2: Is the carbon canister the oval-shaped canister that is often times mounted to the firewall, or the plastic "tank" that surrounds the filler cap? I have neither so have no point of reference.
SirAndy
charcoal canister for the gastank vent and a set of balls for the carbs ...

wink.gif Andy

Hammy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 12 2005, 10:05 PM)
charcoal canister for the gastank vent and a set of balls for the carbs ...

wink.gif  Andy

Andy... tis that the now deceased "bad boy" ?

oh and stupid question. Whadda the carb balls do blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 12 2005, 10:09 PM)
tis that the now deceased "bad boy" ?
oh and stupid question. Whadda the carb balls do blink.gif

yupp, that's "Bad Boy" ... RIP ...

what, your car doesn't have balls? confused24.gif

j/k they close off your carbs so they do get any dirt in them.
as you can see, those babies didn't come with air-filters.

it's a racer thing. first thing i did was adding airfilters to my engine. didn't help much ...
sad.gif Andy
Katmanken
Those aren't balls,

Those are oranges with piercings and chains...

Ken
SGB
I've got the same setup as Ahndy, but with tall filters on 'em. Iff'n this is a pretty good source of gas vapors (makes sense), I think I'll use a couple of plastic shower caps (from hotels) over each side to see of this effects the gas smell in my garage. I also took off the charcoal canister (it is the one- mine is metal- that is around the gas cap), because it was essentially empty. Sounded like a couple ofr rusty particles in there and nothing else. I saw it as dead weight and removed it. If it could be refilled with activated charcoal.....
huh.gif
bondo
QUOTE (SGB @ Oct 13 2005, 08:27 AM)
I also took off the charcoal canister (it is the one- mine is metal- that is around the gas cap), because it was essentially empty. Sounded like a couple ofr rusty particles in there and nothing else. I saw it as dead weight and removed it. If it could be refilled with activated charcoal.....
huh.gif

That's the expansion tank and it's supposed to be empty. The charcoal cannister sits on top of the tank on the drivers side.
phantom914
QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 13 2005, 07:30 AM)
I also took off the charcoal canister (it is the one- mine is metal- that is around the gas cap), because it was essentially empty.  Sounded like a couple ofr rusty particles in there and nothing else.  I saw it as dead weight and removed it.  If it could be refilled with activated charcoal.....
huh.gif

That's the expansion tank and it's supposed to be empty. The charcoal cannister sits on top of the tank on the drivers side.

huh.gif It does? I thought they were in the engine compartment, mounted on the rear bulkhead.

Andrew
bondo
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Oct 13 2005, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 13 2005, 07:30 AM)
I also took off the charcoal canister (it is the one- mine is metal- that is around the gas cap), because it was essentially empty.  Sounded like a couple ofr rusty particles in there and nothing else.  I saw it as dead weight and removed it.  If it could be refilled with activated charcoal.....
huh.gif

huh.gif It does? I thought they were in the engine compartment, mounted on the rear bulkhead.

Andrew

Maybe it varies by year? The 73 2.0 that's getting the LT1 had it up front.
Dave_Darling
They moved the charcoal cannister from on top of the fuel tank to back in the engine bay in mid-74. My old 1.8 had it in the engine bay, my current 2.0 has it above the fuel tank.

The thing surrounding the filler is the "expansion chamber". I believe this is what is actually plumbed to the charcoal cannister, not the tank itself. The expansion chamber is plumbed to connect to the tank, of course.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.