Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Salvaging PO starter relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
The car has a relay in it that was installed by a shop here in Sacto(Frank's, down on Folsom Blvd) There is a toggle switch driver's side in the engine bay, a relay near the starter, and a large Red wire and small Black w/red stripe wire loose and not attached. I am trying to figure this out, rather than get a new starter or relay. (Has hot start problem now)

With a setup like this, would one expect the toggle switch to be used with the key on, car in neutral to engage the starter? This is really the only thing that makes sense to me.

I am going to get a test lamp and see if there is power to the loose wires all the time, or only when the key is on, or only when key on and switch flipped.

Is anyone familiar with a starter relay that uses a toggle switch? Am I totally going down a wrong road, or does my plan sound reasonable?
Rand
I would think the toggle switch might have been installed as a way to kill the starter circuit as a theft-deterrant. IE, when on, the starter circuit works. When off, disabled.

But, that's just a guess - you'll have to trace it out to be sure.
Tobra
It is not a kill switch, but a "starter booster" whatever in the hell that means. It does not do anything right now, that I can determine.

This is going to be my weekend project. Ironically enough, my office manager has a bad starter in her truck, which I am going to fix for her first. It looks like a starter jamboree coming this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.