Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking to buy a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joel Simmons
Hello everyone,

Well, I know I'm pretty rare around here, I pop up every now and then with another 914 candidate. And, I have another one I'm looking at.

Its a 1970 1.7L car that still has its fuel injection system. The owner has had the car since 1980 and he seems to have taken fairly good care of it. Only recently has it sat in his garage unused. He says the injectors have fuel in them and they probably need to be replaced. I don't speak Porsche injection lingo...so...what exactly does that mean?

There's not a whole lot of rust either. The battery pan IS rusty but not to the point that its going to fall apart. There's a bit of bubbling around the driver's side near the windshield/front hood area. I do have photos that he sent me via email, but I'm not exactly sure how to post them.

He's asking $2400 for the car. I'd be using this as a commuter...I need something reliable...or at least able to be made reliable fairly soon after I purchase it. I'm guessing there is a list of things to do as soon as a person purchases a 914 in order to make them ready for the road (if not already). Does this car sound like a decent candidate for a solid daily driver?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Regards,
Joel
SirAndy
QUOTE (Joel Simmons @ Oct 13 2005, 08:27 PM)
I do have photos that he sent me via email, but I'm not exactly sure how to post them.

just read the FAQ, it has detailed instruction on how to use this board, including how to post pictures ... wink.gif

some pictures would really help with the assessment of the car ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
nebreitling
for every inch of rust that you CAN see, expect about about 3-4 inches of rust that you CAN'T see.

also, if you're looking for a daily driver, i would highly recommend that you purchase a 914 that is currently being driven -- not something that has been sitting.

decent drivers can still be had for $4k+ in Cali.

good luck, and post pictures of the cars you're interested in so we can nit pick them apart!
JoeSharp
Joel: Member number 148,,, damn... And still no consumation..... I've bought 8 914's sence you've become a member. My driver has twin 40 Solex's singels on it. I don't like the injection for the streets. My A/X car has D-Jet on it (only for class ruels). Sorry to confuse you but, the injections systems are for the injection geeks and concourse winnies... If you want to use your car daily put on something like the factory did (2 Solex single 40's).
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Joel Simmons
Wow, quick replies around here. Yeah...I've been slow to get a 914. I actually had a 1967 Bug at the time I became interested in 914's, then sold the Bug to help pay for my wedding rolleyes.gif Then...I joined the Army and I've been fairly busy since...so...I have little time to run around all over the place when a nice car comes up for sale. I have to stick with what I find around here (here now being Monterey county, CA so hopefully that should help out).

Okay, going to try and post two pics, both of the worst rust areas (I've seen so far). I had to crop them down as they were too large as they were sent to me.

Joel Simmons
Right in front of the driver's side front window/hood area:

SirAndy
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Oct 13 2005, 08:46 PM)
If you want to use your car daily put on something like the factory did (2 Solex single 40's).

don't listen to this guy, he had a few to many teekillyas ... biggrin.gif

the stock fuel injection is the best setup for a daily driver, IMHO.
smooth running and no cold start hassle. better gas-mileage too ...

if you haven't already done so, locate a shop local to you that has experience with these cars.
someone who can do a tuneup of the stock fuel injection for you ...
wink.gif Andy
Joel Simmons
Here's the link to the advertisement on craigslist.com here in the Bay Area.

1970 914 1.7L

I agree with everything you guys have said so far. I would much rather buy a car that has not been sitting and I would much rather have carbs than fuel injection. But, some people seem to put a lot of faith in Porsche's first attempts at injection systems...so I dunno.

I should be getting some more photos soon, I'll keep you guys posted.

Joel
Bleyseng
That was only on the Euro 1.8l cars with the dual solex's as they cheapen out for the euro market!
Here in the US they gave us the Delux FI system..

I would suspect that a car sitting for awhile will need lots of TLC to make a DD out of it. Fuel lines, brakes lines, injector cleaning etc will have to be done.
Joel Simmons
Andy,

This car is actually located in Alameda, not too far from you. Ever seen it on the road or know anyone that may have made the trip to look at the car?

Joel
SirAndy
QUOTE (Joel Simmons @ Oct 13 2005, 08:58 PM)
Okay, going to try and post two pics, both of the worst rust areas (I've seen so far).  I had to crop them down as they were too large as they were sent to me.

both areas should be cleaned and treated with rust-preventive coating before you start driving the car.
especially in monterey county, as the salt air from the ocean will only help accelerating the existing rust.

you should also get a new, sealed battery, like the optima red-top. those can't leak acid anymore, like older batteries, which is what caused the battery tray to rust so badly.

you'll have to take the battery out and clean up the lose rust really well, than coat it all with something like "Metal Ready" (http://www.por15.com/) ...
same goes for the front cowl area ...

smash.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (Joel Simmons @ Oct 13 2005, 09:03 PM)
This car is actually located in Alameda, not too far from you. Ever seen it on the road or know anyone that may have made the trip to look at the car?

can't really tell from the pic but if you set up a time with the seller, i'd willing to drive by and have a closer look at it ...

as for carbs, not a single 914/4 ever came to the US with carbs installed from the factory, they all had FI ...
wink.gif Andy
JoeSharp
Yo Andy: Just 2, like twins, you know how much we like twins. A good pair has always been my favroit. Something around 40's always worked for me. Even Linda thinks so. The car will be at Laguna Seca.
Andy, what do you want in the cooler?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Oct 13 2005, 09:32 PM)
Andy, what do you want in the cooler?

well, unfortunately, i'm the guy who has to keep the peace and an eye on you guys, so i was thinking along the lines of Mr. Jack and Mrs. Daniels ...

drunk.gif Andy
JoeSharp
Got you covered Sir.
Excuse me, Mr. Andy, but will you need any mix or will water or ice be fine?
nebreitling
doood, IMHO, for a stockish daily driver, you definitely want the stock FI -- not carbs.

anyway, i'm a little concerned about that piece of wood in the back trunk, and who knows what else it would take to get it running and reliable.

find a runner. pay up front, buy the nicest car you can afford. you will be ahead in the end.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Oct 13 2005, 09:47 PM)
Excuse me, Mr. Andy, but will you need any mix or will water or ice be fine?

rumor has it that coca and cola commingles well with the two ...
beer3.gif Andy
JoeSharp
Mixes better than Injection and carbs..... biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Joel Simmons @ Oct 13 2005, 09:02 PM)
Here's the link to the advertisement on craigslist.com here in the Bay Area.

1970 914 1.7L

I agree with everything you guys have said so far. I would much rather buy a car that has not been sitting and I would much rather have carbs than fuel injection. But, some people seem to put a lot of faith in Porsche's first attempts at injection systems...so I dunno.

I should be getting some more photos soon, I'll keep you guys posted.

Joel

I've seen the car and have met the owner a few years back (before her trip), for some reason I thought she was asking close to 5K last time it was for sale, Brad Roberts and myself told her we both thought it was too much.

For that price it might be a good car, but I'd look over very carefully to be sure.

Joel Simmons
Hi Mueller,

Thanks for that reply and info. I think I'll pass on this car.

I'll be at the ALMS races at Laguna Seca today if anyone has a clean 914 for sale...

thanks again,
Joel
gregrobbins
?
If you want to use your car daily put on something like the factory did (2 Solex single 40's).

Since Porsche never produced a 4 with anything other than D-Jet and L-Jet fuel injection, whats this about?

Listen to Andy
pray.gif
anthony
For a daily driver I'd actually recommend something newer that you won't have to work on every weekend. biggrin.gif

This particular 914 looks pretty beat. I think the cosmetic condition would be reflective of the care and feeding given to this car. If you are dead set on a car of this caliber, just make sure you get it checked out by a professional. You want to make sure the engine has good/even compression and the transmission doesn't have worn synchros. Beyond that, you'd want to know when the last time a clutch was installed, the last time brakes were done, the last time it was tuned up, etc. I kind of doubt though that you will get a nice stack of maintenance receipts with this car.

Joel Simmons
Hi Andy,

I'm not set on a car in this condition, it just seemed like a "deal." But then, we all know how "deals" turn out to be. Oh well...

So do you think I should be looking for a 911SC or something like that when you say "look for something newer" ?

I saw a really clean dark green 914 at Laguna Seca tonight that just made me want to get one even more. Not sure what year it was, an early one though as it had chrom bumpers, no rubber ones.

Are 914's that finicky? I have driven old VW's as daily drivers. Sure things went wrong every now and then but nothing too catastrophic. Generally, I hate having to mess with things that are computerized or over-complicated when it comes to repairing something on my own. Hence my affiinity for old cars. I also like to avoid smog laws as well.

Anyway, I'll keep looking.

Thanks again,
Joel
MecGen
Have you seen this...it looks realy good

for sale

later

beerchug.gif
anthony
I'm not set on a car in this condition, it just seemed like a "deal."  But then, we all know how "deals" turn out to be.  Oh well...

In general buy the best car you can afford. A car that needs so much work will not be a "deal" in the end after you are done fixing it up.

So do you think I should be looking for a 911SC or something like that when you say "look for something newer" ?  

By "something newer" I meant that you should buy a Toyota Corolla or something as a daily driver. biggrin.gif IMO, an old Porsche is better as a second car.

Are 914's that finicky?  I have driven old VW's as daily drivers.  Sure things went wrong every now and then but nothing too catastrophic.

Compared to modern cars 914s aren't very reliable. If you keep up with the maintenance though I think they can be resonably reliable. I've driven my 914 12,000+ miles in the 3.5 years I've had it and it's been pretty reliable. Even on a nice car I've done a lot of little stuff. For example, the speedo angle drive just broke and I need to replace that.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.