Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbledsoe
Did a Buick V6 conversion with MSD distributor and 6200 ignition box. Wired the black wire that fed the original Bosch coil to the input of the MSD box per MSD instructions. Every thing worked fine. Today I had to drop the transaxle to get to the throw out arm to put a bend in it to get more clutch peddle travel. Everything went smooth and its all back together. Runs great. Only one problem, when I turn the ignition off the engine keeps running. Everything else shuts off, fuel pump, gauges, etc. but the engine keeps running until I unplug the black input wire to the MSD box. While the ignition is off and the engine keeps running the alternator light comes on.

When I dropped the transaxle I disconnected the battery positive cable from the battery, removed the three wires to the starter main terminal, the yellow wire from the solenoid, and the two back up light wires from the trans. No other wires were touched, and it all went back together the exact same way.

I put in a new ignition switch during the conversion about two months ago.

Any thoughts? confused24.gif
skline
YES..!!!!!

But i'm not telling happy11.gif

Twystd1
URY914
Check your ground strap.

(that's the standard answer, right) confused24.gif
dbledsoe
QUOTE (URY914 @ Oct 16 2005, 06:42 PM)
Check your ground strap.

(that's the standard answer, right) confused24.gif

Ground straps are good, one from the body to the engine, and the body to transmission, both are new.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (skline @ Oct 16 2005, 06:39 PM)
YES..!!!!!

But i'm not telling happy11.gif

Twystd1

Twystd1,

stromberg.gif you're a devious heathen. Me, on the other hand, am a very nice person. finger.gif

db
givemebeer.gif
dbledsoe
icon_bump.gif

Please, you electro whizzes out there. Take a look at this and help me figure it out.

Now it's odder than ever. It seems to be just the opposite of the hot start problem. My engine shuts off ok when it's not very hot, but won't when it's hot. Turn the key off when the engine is at or above operating temperature and it keeps running.

A new mystery for the Club, hot shut off problem. headbang.gif
bd1308
DING!

you need a diode.....

in the wires toward the alternator light.....

apparentaly that current will drive the car when the engine is cut, therefore continuing the spinning of the alternator......

b

pretty much its the current flowing the other way through that GEN dash bulb....
dbledsoe
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 16 2005, 09:06 PM)
DING!

you need a diode.....

in the wires toward the alternator light.....

apparentaly that current will drive the car when the engine is cut, therefore continuing the spinning of the alternator......

b

pretty much its the current flowing the other way through that GEN dash bulb....

Britt,

Wow! Thank you for your response. Can you explain a little more in detail. I can do electrical stuff and follow a schematic, but it's not my best subject. Where, exactly, should the diode go? Between the alternator and the alternator light in the dash?

Thank you again,

Don
bd1308
shouldnt matter where you put it.....

one way it will work fine......

other way, the alternator wont "boot"......

Porsche Rescue
Could be a problem in the alternator or v. regulator. I am not an expert on electrical stuff, but I know that when alt. dash light is on with ignition off you are drawing current from the battery (through positive cable to starter) then to the alternator through the large red wire (B+), and on through the regulator to the dash light. This drains the battery. In my case the alternator was bad (bad diodes). First make sure you reconnected everthing exactly as before. If so, I would suspect a problem with alternator or voltage regulator.
The above could allow the MSD to continue to get juice, just not sure how with the ignition off. Possibly through the other hot line (red/white) to the alt. warning light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.