Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat guns and removing sound tar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
Ok, Stripped the passenger side front floor and drivers side rear floor...

Burned my leg and thumb... give me some moral support and tell me I'm not the only one to have gone through this an burn myself with a heat gun?

Also, is there an easier way?

pics soon.
redshift
Easier way? FIRE.

smile.gif

I use a heat gun to bend bindings, for instruments. I get a lil overheated sometimes.. you should be glad you never bend wood, on an iron..

pinch.gif

M
Hammy
I don't know if there's an easier way.. I remember that experience. I think I burned myself as well, but not blister type burns. ph34r.gif Plus my car was in the garage while I did it, so I didn't have much room to open the doors all the way. I was so sore....
sj914
Don't worry your not the only one that gets burnt from a heat gun.

Now how did you burn your leg. Good thing you didn't burn your hootus. laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
get a butane torch... makes the job 10x faster... and smellier

Kansas 914
I used an air chisel and it took about 10 minutes to do both sides - piece of cake and no smell or fire. Be careful with the angle you use - you don't want to dif into the pans. Then I used a shop vac to pick up the pieces.

Worked for me - obviously the stuff was very brittle - are they all like that?
VaccaRabite
I used a heat gun, and got no burns at all.
Of course, my garage is fairly big, and I had taken the doors off. I was also wearing gloves. It's the little things, you know? smile.gif

Zach
ben1440
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 16 2005, 10:33 PM)
Easier way? FIRE.

smile.gif

I use a heat gun to bend bindings, for instruments. I get a lil overheated sometimes.. you should be glad you never bend wood, on an iron..

pinch.gif

M

Me too! I definitely agree about the wood bending on the irons.

And yes, I got myself a few times removing the tar with a heat gun, it just added to the already high frustration
Rough_Rider
Oh yeah, sticky tar..
Seems like some folks have it easy, while other (me included) found the whole process quite tedious & time consuming.

Tried heatgun, butane & other heat methods with scrapers. Reverted back to heatgun as easiest to control.

Best advice is heat up large areas & try to scrape it off in chunks. Watch out for the hot tar, sticks to fingers.

Anyone tried dry ice??
BTW, whats that nasty yellow stuff around seams, hasd to use a wire brush to remove??
SirAndy
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Oct 17 2005, 08:28 AM)
BTW, whats that nasty yellow stuff around seams, hasd to use a wire brush to remove??

that would be seam sealer ... wink.gif

Best advice is heat up large areas & try to scrape it off in chunks. Watch out for the hot tar, sticks to fingers.

agree.gif the trick is to warm up large patches and then scrape the tar off in big chunks. you don't want to get the tar too mushy/liquid, just warm enough to come off the metal.

works great once you get the hang of it ...
smash.gif Andy
olav

I use liquid Nitrogen to freeze the stuff then bang it off...

smash.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (olav @ Oct 17 2005, 08:34 AM)

smash.gif

you work in a sperm bank??? where does one get liquid Nitrogen?
olav
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 17 2005, 07:50 AM)

smash.gif

you can buy it from chemical supply companies as long as you have a Dewar to store it in it lasts quite a while.

I did my graduate studies in Physics and used a lot of it so that's why I'm familiar with the stuff...

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 17 2005, 10:50 AM)

smash.gif

wart remover, or -460(?) from fry's...

TX in the summer the butane torch was the shit... bubble up big squares of it and then scape off...

dry ice or nitrogen may work good too though...
jhadler
Don't use heat, too messy.

LN2 (liquid Nitrogen) works great, but is hard to come by for most folks. Best thing is a big load of dry ice, and a rubber mallet. Pile on the dry ice and freeze the material good and hard, then thwack it with the rubber mallet. It should shatter pretty easilly, and then you can either use a shop vac or a whisk and dust pan... Presto! No smelly mess...

It may take a little longer, but it's a lot cleaner.

-Josh2
Andyrew
Use a blowdryer (heat gun basically)

and get a big area generally hot with the hottest setting, then go back over, a couple inches in front of where your scraping, and put it on the middle or low heat setting....

Slowly scrape... and try for long sprints....

andrew
olav
QUOTE (jhadler @ Oct 17 2005, 10:41 AM)
Don't use heat, too messy.

LN2 (liquid Nitrogen) works great, but is hard to come by for most folks. Best thing is a big load of dry ice, and a rubber mallet. Pile on the dry ice and freeze the material good and hard, then thwack it with the rubber mallet. It should shatter pretty easilly, and then you can either use a shop vac or a whisk and dust pan... Presto! No smelly mess...

It may take a little longer, but it's a lot cleaner.

-Josh2

Just have to wipe up the melted dry ice...

biggrin.gif
JB 914
the easier way is to have a BBQ and let aaron and mattR come by and do it while you hold smoked meat on a string.

Seriously, i think the time of year has alot to do with it. i did it on a car this summer and it was much harder to get up. now that it's cooler i'm doing my other car and it seems to come up alot easier. i used the heat gun on both occasions.
Tobra
Two words for you buddy, leather gloves.

I would think the dry ice would be pretty slick though, be sure to wear eye protection, or you'll shoot your eye out kid
grantsfo
I bought a cheap heat gun fom Kragen and it worked great! no burns but I was careful
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Oct 17 2005, 03:48 PM)
the easier way is to have a BBQ and let aaron and mattR come by and do it while you hold smoked meat on a string.

Seriously, i think the time of year has alot to do with it. i did it on a car this summer and it was much harder to get up. now that it's cooler i'm doing my other car and it seems to come up alot easier. i used the heat gun on both occasions.

so how do i get you to do work for me?

AA biggrin.gif
campbellcj
Hmmm, I didn't need to use extra heat or cold to scrape my floor tar. It was a bitch of a job, but a scraper and some elbow grease got it done.
JB 914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 17 2005, 09:07 PM)
[/QUOTE]
so how do i get you to do work for me?

AA biggrin.gif

you have to ask. cool_shades.gif
snflupigus
LOL, never thought i'd get 20+ replies on this one...

Well, to answer... "how'd you burn your leg?"

Sitting in the passenger area with the seat obviously removed... right leg up on the long and left spread over to the drivers floor (damnit, i hope you all arent getting turned on here)... working on the passenger side because my ass muscles and thighs could no longer bend over from working on the driver's side rear section with the car lifted on stands (again, if you're getting turned on, leave the thread!!).... I should have done this with the car on the ground and i could at least wear my knee pads and do this! LOL

It's about 70 here at night, did it in the garage.... heat gun bought from Pep Boys for 17 bucks.

I guess the best way to try and get dry ice is order up some good ol Omaha Steaks (worked there for 3 years and never ate better!!!).... hope there is some left in the cooler, throw it in the car and grill up the london broils.... mmmmm if not, the cooler works great for shipping stuff and i could use it to store the dry ice i buy from someone else down here... (using left overs to place in a 2 liter with some warm water... put the cap on fast and throw! = BOOM!!!

I will use the elbow grease and try doing larger areas tomorrow night vs melting it all gooey and then scraping.

Thanks for all the tips...
jhadler
If there's a local Dairy, then you can get gobs of dry ice from them....

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.