Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro Header Collector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Hey all,

My other question... I ahve a European Header that I've been long planning on putting back into the car. It looks like the collector is designed to just bolt up to two of the primaries, and that's it. Is it better to weld the collector to the primaries? Or just clamp it? Welded would prevent any axhaust leaks, but welding would also make it more rigid, and may stress something under thermal expansion. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Reason being is that I'd like to try using a different collector. I'd like to try the Flowmaster scavenger collector, effectively getting me an additional 18" of secondary and making the system a 4-2-1 instead of a 4-1. The class I run in doesn't allow internal engine mods, so I need to go with the strong suit of the engine, and that's mid-range torque.

Thanks again!

-Josh2
ChrisFoley
I strongly recommend against welding the primaries to the collector. Using the tabs on the two pipes should be plenty to keep everything in place. The primaries should fit tightly enough into the collector that leakage isn't a problem.
I doubt you will gain any power by switching to the Flowmaster collector. If it doesn't connect the correct two primaries together it will cost you power for sure. The primaries of the European header are already too long. Adding secondary length won't help.
I only know of one header design that will help your mid-range. It isn't cheap but the benefits are proven. smile.gif
jhadler
Thanks for the info Chris!

Yeah, I do so want those headers, I've wanted a set for a very, very long time. Ever since I wandered by Pete's shop in Palo Alto and saw him working on a set for a customer at the time. But as it stands, the race car only gets a limited budget each year, and right now, it just needs to get -running-.

I knew I wanted a set with stub pipes. So it came down to yours and the Euro headers. I know, I know. You get what you paid for... But I had to make a cost/benefit decision. Get the super headers, and leave the car on jack stands. Then sit in the car and make vroom-vroom noises. Or don't get the best, but get it running, and on the track. Let me tell you, it was a tough decision. Thanks for the info! I'll see about fitting the original collector. Either way, should be a nice gain over the stock heat exchangers...

Chris, what was the result of the appeal from Runoffs? I saw the video clip, and I agree, that guy doesn't belong on the track... I hope the car gets back together without too much difficulty.

-Josh2
jhadler
So Chris,

Is it the issue with thermal expansion of the motor that could put stress on the exhaust/heads? Or is it something else? Just thinking about what would be the benefit (if any), and what are the downsides.

The scavenger collector does not seem like it would join the same primaries, (Euro vs. Tangerine. looking at pictures right now), so would probably not be much of a help then...

Thanks again!

-Josh2
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (jhadler @ Oct 17 2005, 06:53 PM)
Is it the issue with thermal expansion of the motor that could put stress on the exhaust/heads? Or is it something else? Just thinking about what would be the benefit (if any), and what are the downsides.

I'm not too concerned with the stresses from thermal expansion since the shape of the pipes should allow for that without causing cracks etc. The real issue comes when you need to remove the header, either to work on the car or to sell the header to someone else. (Someday that Tangerine Evo will be within your budget. smile.gif )
You can't really weld around the primaries enough to fully seal the connections so you would only be doing it for retention of the collector. The stock tabs should work ok for that, along with a muffler bracket, and the tabs are easy to repair should one tear off at some point.

(I won my appeal but the penalty was not increased. mad.gif
If I hadn't appealed the penalty might have been reduced since he appealed too. screwy.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.