Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Machinest in the Pasadena, CA area...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Got the 2.0L torn down this weekend. Turns out it was somking because the oil rings were completely caked with oil sludge. Wrist pins had to be driven out with a socket and hammer, but moved freely on the connecting rod - I assume that's not nomal... No gauges or wear on the cylinder walls, the even had some cross hatch left. Heads appear good with no visible cracking.

Does anyone have a machinest they recommend in the LA/Pasadena area? I'd like the heads rebuilt and the P/C looked at to see if they can be re-ringed and put back in use.

Thanks.

-Aaron
MattR
Rimco is in Santa Ana. I think they're prefered, but FMS (foreign machine shop) is on walnut and they're really cool there. Its on walnut between source and trans ocean. Theres a yellow sign out front that says FMS.
Jake Raby
Having to pound wrist pins out is customary.. especially if the pistons are not warm (sometimes just holding a piston in your hand will warm them enough for the pins to slide easier)

Approach the re-using of your P/C set with scrutiny. Make sure the sylinders are MEASURED for out of roundness, taper and for too much of a ridge at the top... You can't visually inspect a cylinder and be certain at all..

Also beware of just doing a top end rebuild- that entire engine is just as tired as the top end and if the tops worn, so is the bottom- I always promote splitting the case and getting the entire job done at once, else it'll be just a matter of time before you are back inside it again (that may be a shorter time period than you wish)
Cap'n Krusty
Rimco, being the production shop that it is, just isn't gonna give you the personalized and first rate job you'll get from Engine Machine Service in Westchester, near lAX. Call 'em at 310 641 7019. The Cap'n
yeahmag
Jake,

I've ordered your Type IV Video, so I'll see if that is within my abilities/comfort level. It doesn't seem to add an astronomical amount of money for the bearings and such. I'm on a pretty tight budget these days...

Cap'n,

I've always been a Muffler Mike fan (I started as a Bug Drag Racer...), so if he likes EMS, I like EMS

smile.gif

I'll give them a call.

-Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.