Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My deleted post about 914 engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
And I quickly found that from the 30+ emails that I received in less than 2 hours that I was screwed up.. I could then see that the post had the beginnings for a flame war and none of us need that.....

It appears that I was more wrong than I have ever been and I was grouping you guys with a bunch that you don't belong with......

I'd say after seeing this amount of feedback that I'll be making things more refined for 2006 for the 914 engines... Maybe I will make things simpler and slightly less custom just to keep the 914 a vehicle I can continue to support, but without serious volume increases the prices won't be dropping... I will probably create a standard price for 4 of my engines for the 914 and not offer any others- that alone will make things easier as many of you mentioned.. They won't be as custom but they still won't be mass produced..

So I want to apologize for my screwey behavior- Its been a long, hard day.. One of the worst I have had here in about 5 years.... If it could happen it did- I suppose I took it out on you guys and since I have been thinking of killing the 914 side of the house I jumped to a conclusion....

I don't apologize often and when I do I have to know I'm really wrong. I can do that.....

This email just came in and it was one of the ones that made me really understand that what I do is appreciated and when it gets right down to it that all I really give a damn about.

You're contemplating whether or not to quit the 914 world. I said this before, but when I think of the 914 I think of Jake Raby. In my opinion, 914's would suck without Raby, except to the conversion guys. I'd feel alone in the 914 world without you, simply because I only want something German and aircooled in my 914. If you have no other reason to stay, at least let your last resort be preventing radiators from taking over the 914 world.

I'll let you guys know my intent with the 914 world as soon as I get a grip on what to do next... I promise you'll be the first to know..

Jake
Aaron Cox
hey jake. take a day off and relax. shitty days are just that...shitty.

Aircooled all the way user posted image
bd1308
smilie_pokal.gif

keep that impeller fan turnin' man.....

I will always remember what you told me:

"If the screws ain't turnin' somethings burning"

EDIT: none of the above makes sense....

i'll be keeping you in my thoughts, positive vibes coming your way....

:^) b
Jake Raby
Thanks guys... It has been a shitty day for sure... Damn cool wether lately has got my allergies kickin and my head poundin- hell I should be in bed and not in this office..

Like I said- I'll let you know what happens here, but regardless the 914 Turbo world is gettin a jump start and its already started.... But i'll be without my teener in our best driving season dammit!
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 17 2005, 11:47 PM)
But i'll be without my teener in our best driving season dammit!

Go get you or dust off a nice 356 for one of those "fun runs" those Atlanta 356 guys are going on all the time. Driving always makes me feel better driving.gif
Brando
What's the saying? "Fuch 'em if they can't take a joke?" laugh.gif

I hope you saw the err of your ways. You're only human. But a few are insulted beyond bandages.
Jake Raby
It wasn't what was being said here that made me realize anything... It was what was said in email and even two phone calls that really hit home....

You're only human. But a few are insulted beyond bandages
If those guys have bnever made a mistake- they are not human.... I don't make a whole lot of them and when i do it is typically something to do with "people" because I'm in my own little world and due to a certain condition that haunts me it makes me pretty hard to see others views sometimes.... That same condition is what enables me to do the things I do, so its an evil trade off most of the time..

Damn- I have apologized two times in one day- I think I have a fever...
Engman
Go take a couple of tylenol and ger some sleep.

I, really appreciate your dedication.

I am too tired right now to tell you about the 'core' and the tire kickers.

Keep up the good work - try to price accorddingly - I have seen your work and it ranks right up there - do not change.

M
Jake Raby
Thanks man...
I need some of those goodies that you have too!
gregrobbins
Jake, I read the following quote and feel really bad.

But i'll be without my teener in our best driving season dammit!

Jake, I'll be happy to lend you my 1.7L, I will even pay for the shipping. All I ask in return is that you treat it right, feed it good parts, so that when it comes home, it is a grown up 2270.

On the other hand, why shouldn't your teener be on jack stands like every one elses?
Jake Raby
LOL.. Nice try!

My fabricator had a spot that I just could not pass up to get the Turbo plumbing all done up for the teener.... And then today I exploded the tranny in the Blue Bug taking a potential customer for a test spin (it was time for it to go).....

So I'm down to the Pinzgauer, 912E and the bus for now....

swood
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 17 2005, 10:24 PM)
Jake, you are just as retarded as we are.

Regards,

Miles Hendrix

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
Jake Raby
More retarded...
We didn't have short busses here, but if we did I would have been on one...
MattR
Jake,

your avatar helps us understand cool_shades.gif
type47
Jake, i've never met you but i have a sense of your personality from the many, many posts of yours that i have read. i get the impression that you do the right thing and work toward improvement of the species and experiment to back up your opinions. i'd like to state my support of your work and appreciate what you do for the 914 community. keep up the great work.
charlesmac
Jake,
I gotta say that when i met you i could immediately tell how much passion you have for what you do. Even though i haven't put it together, you're the reason i have an awesome engine for my 914, just wanted to say thanks. OH, speaking of that, if you need a motor for yours you can use mine if ya wanna assemble it. never hurts to ask does it.

Charles
Rleog
There's a lot more support out there than situations sometimes allow you to realize. If it's possible, step back and take a look at what you've offered the 914 community......it would be a much poorer place without your research, hardware, and your advice.
Pugbug
Jake;
Man you really had me scared there for awhile. I have never purchased one of your engines but was planning to get one for my 914 eventually. Ever since I first started messing around with VWs about six years ago you have helped me through the Shop Talk Forums many times, and more recently on this forum with engine problems on my 914.
I have three trouble free aircooled vehicles (none on jack stands) A big part of the reason for this is because of the advise and help you have given to me and others through the forums.
Expect a call from me early in 2006 to order a new heart for my 914. I will be in no hurry, as it runs fine now, but I'd like more a bit more power.
I'm so glad you have changed you mind re- 914 engines.
DNHunt
Hang in there Jake. You really can't appreciate the good days without a few bad days thrown in there.

Dave
Jake Raby
Well I just got out here a few minutes ago after a good nights sleep and things are already looking better than they were yesterday..

damn guys- How many of you are going to email me?? I have like 40 more messages to read- I'm going to read them all ane even if I don't respond now that i appreciate it all.

Like I said- I'm holding off on acceptig any more 914 builds for now. I'll make my deciion on what I should do to make this aspect of my engine shop as fun as it should be with less hassles.. Thats probably going to mean a 50% deposit to get on the wait list, instead of just a couple hundred bucks.... The past couple of years I have let my guard down on who does and does not get one of my engines and I'll definately be waking that part of things up here and implementing a questionaire that each potential customer will have to complete online before their irst email goes through... Part of that WILL be a credit check..

Thanks again guys.

BTW- Dave Hunt ranks aong the top of the list for my best customers ever-Thanks Dave!!!
ChrisFoley
Jake,
The conclusions you drew from the recent bad experience may have been wrong but you did the right thing by expressing your concerns. If you didn't tell us how you were feeling we wouldn't know you needed some support. grouphug.gif
I know quite a few guys with RAT engines for their 914s, and they are all excited about that. smile.gif
Narrowing the choices a bit may help people get off the fence sooner, and adjusting the payment schedule to lessen your financial burden may actually help the customer as well. idea.gif
Thorshammer
Jake,

The problem seems to be three fold. Firstly you've had a bad day, and don't feel well. 2nd people just plain suck, bad checks overextending themselves etc.. 3rd, you may have too many engine combinations. Some people aren't up on what is better than soemthing else etc... Here's what I suggest:

1. Take a day off and go do something fun, something away from cars. For you and me, Aviation museum might do the trick. Or a really good strip club and get a "happy ending" LOL. Rent some older comedy movie like Eddie Murphy RAW, or George Carlin etc... They say laughter is the best medicine, and although this post already sound too mushy, F it.

2. I would start a page on the site of people that have backed out of engines, and listat what completion the engine is at and how much it can be bought out for. This not only should deter people from screwing around, but also provide you the ability to finish up what was started. I am sure many people would jump on this. The customer would have to eat some of his deposit, so that the new buyer would get a small price break, Everyone makes out on this deal. The cust doesn't lose all his cash, you don't lose the time invested, and the new buyer gets a motor with a little savings.

3. Due to the fact that 50% of our population has Attention Deficit Disorder, you may want to scale down the engine options/custom builds. I know thats one of the things that makes you and your shop special, but maybe a menu type system with standardized displacements for a start. and or combinations you recommend. (you may already do some of this)

1. Standard rebuild with upgraded components pistons,valves, cam, lifters, mild clean up on the head.

Option: Modify oiling for full flow, additonal oil cooler etc... whatever.

2. Street performance rebuild, Adds 20 hp over stock engine.

Options: ----------- whatever you think is the best
Best recommended combinations

CC size, engine mods potential hp for this combination

Some people just can't figure out what they need, and need to be able to see it and the cost. Maybe this will help maybe not.

Erik Madsen

PS: for those of you on Jakes ass, just remember who else you have been dealing with before he took an interest in TYPE 4's It wasn't always pretty. Anyone remember eurorace, they sucked.
Matt Monson
Jake,
Our somewhat heated exchange of yesterday aside, I think this community would suffer a great loss if you stopped supporting the type IV's. You'll have to forgive me for my skepticism that you really were the only one making specialized parts for these engines. If anything, the 914 world needs more shops like yours, not fewer. I am glad to hear that you have changed your mind and want to keep doing the type IV thing.

Growing a business and keeping things from not happening too quickly, or going in a direction that you don't really want to go, are very real and difficult challenges for a person. But it sounds like you are taking the right approach, and stepping back a bit to assess where you really see your business going in the future. And I think your 50% down poilicy is a great idea. That is how we do business here. Many people on this board see Carquip as a parts house, but really our core business is street and race transmissions. We don't ever start work on a gearbox without half the money on the table. Then, at the very least most of our actual cost are covered.

And thank you for the personal apology you made to me. I know that doesn't happen too often, but as I said before, it shows a humility that I respect in a person.

Now before you take down your 914 for a few months, go for a nice long drive on your favorite backroad. For some reason, a good cruise is better than any therapy I have ever known...
Tobra
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 17 2005, 10:00 PM)
LOL.. Nice try!

My fabricator had a spot that I just could not pass up to get the Turbo plumbing all done up for the teener.... And then today I exploded the tranny in the Blue Bug taking a potential customer for a test spin (it was time for it to go).....

So I'm down to the Pinzgauer, 912E and the bus for now....

It is a nice fall day, no hurricanes within a week. I would say, take the 912 for a drive, or even better, the wife's convertible(if it is done enough), with her in it, and drive someplace with a nice view of a river or something.

BTW, after watching that video of the blue bug, I am surprised the tranny did not blow up every time you drove it hard.

Oh yeah, I will say it again, there are no refunds.
Jake Raby
Eric, All good points and ideas... what I have been doing is justnot finishing engines that are "backed out on"... Instead I have been fast forwarding all the engines that were later buids than the one that was backed out on and if the engine is partially assembled I either fill a test position with it, or call one of my good repeat customers to see if it will fit their needs and then I finish it off schedule on my own time... Heck a couple of times I have bought cars without engines installed one of my beasts and then sold the whole car...

Its not the $$$ that I lose or any of that, but moreover the huge hassles that come when a job stalls or dies. Generally the reason the guy backs out is because he lacks money anyway, so then they not only want to stop, but also try to get back what they had paid, because they need it... Then I have to be a cruel hard hearted Marine again and cover my own tail and its no fun.... Thats the real hard part..

There are so many ways to do this, and over the years I have tried a ton of them, but the fact is that any business like mine is tough to operate- nothing is standard and nopthing repeat, but thats the way I like it.

BTW- having so many engine combos generally doesn't complicate things for the customer, because I generally pick the platform for them based upon their information and desires. I know the traits of the engines so well that it works out really good... Many times they don't even know the job is custom or personalized.

Now before you take down your 914 for a few months, go for a nice long drive on your favorite backroad. For some reason, a good cruise is better than any therapy I have ever known...
Too late.... It's being "plumbed" as we speak...
cha914
Damn, take a couple days away from the board and all hell breaks loose...

I just want to say that your motor is some of the best money I have spent on my car, and its fun to finally seeing you get some respect in the 914 world. When I first purchased your motor, and was telling some other 914 guys about it (excited of course) I got many a blank stares or very doubtfull responces.

Up untill about a year ago, I wouldn't even mention the motor untill someone got a ride and started asking questions, but now I have had several people seek me out and start asking about the motor.

Keep up the good work, and I am trying my best to finally put some real miles on mine ... just over 4K this year so far driving.gif

Tony

2002 RAT 2056
Jake Raby
Great Tony!!!.... And yours was a "Small one"...LOL

Yep, don't tell them what it is till they ask..

4K miles isn't enough in one year- it should be TWICE that, so start driving it more!

Thorshammer
Cool Jake,

But still rent the movies it'll do you good.
One of my favorites is Harlem Nights

When Eddie Murphy and Stella Reece go at it I laugh my ass off, "you gonna hit people with garbage cans, now I'm gonna hafta cut yah"

"Vera you betta put dat razor away, or I'mgonna shoot off your pinky toe"

oh, now you gonna shoot of my pinky toe, well here it is, go ahead shoot"

Too funny.

Erik
TJB/914
Hi Jake,

First I think I should apologize for taking a slap to your head last night. It was done out of love & not malice. I posted about 9:30 PM trying to explain what I see in your motor program. I then went to bed because I had to get up in the morning @ 5:00 AM to be on the road. I came back early this afternoon to read my post and it's gone!!! I think the summary was what I was trying to say.

We need you in the 914 community. We all want you to build your business and enjoy what you do. Thanks for listening and hopefully I didn't offend you.

You have my complete respect.
Tom
Jake Raby
Nah, I didn't get offended... I have grown thick skin on the net.... In person its a different story-

No worries man- The result of my post was the fact that the few "Bad eggs" that I have received here lately were just that and that there are a ton more good guys willing to go through the processes to get my engine.
michel richard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 17 2005, 08:42 PM)
I will always remember what you told me:

"If the screws ain't turnin' somethings burning"

Amen, brother.
Mueller
damn....had you dissed us 914'ers for good I could have sold* my engine parts I got from you at a nice profit and gone watercooled smile.gif

For Sale: Possibly one of the last engine kits for your 914 from Aircooled Technology...soon to be a collectors item. biggrin.gif laugh.gif
horizontally-opposed
Bad days happen to all of us. I just had a bunch of 'em.

But then a Yellow Bird parks outside. biggrin.gif

The point is not to forget this: There are ALWAYS better days ahead!

pete
jimtab
Jake, I've never met you but your rep precedes you. I'll pass on some of the best advice I ever got...and from a real philosopher... no shit...Alan Watts. Just remember the FROZEN SNOWBALL....because 25 million years from now, when the sun has burned out and is a dying red giant...and the earth is just a frozen snowball drifting thru space....none of this shit is gonna matter.....I don't know if it will work for you but for some reason I can always visualize that damned snowball... I guess growing up in Alaska may be a contributing factor. Please don't give up on the 914 crowd....at least until I save up enough to buy a "quickie" for the Green Hornet.....hang in there....Jim aktion035.gif
Brando
Every day above ground is a good day.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (jimtab @ Oct 19 2005, 02:07 AM)
...and from a real philosopher... no shit...Alan Watts.

You knew Alan Watts? That's cool!
I read a lot of his books, including The Book (on the taboo against knowing who you are) and The Wisdom of Insecurity.
guywan914
Jake, you are an incredible asset to those 914 owners like myself who want to keep our cars tru to their heritage with a four, and to get the most possible out of that combo. I am truly thankful Chris turned me in your direction and can't wait till I turn the key and fire that baby up. Thanks for all your dedication to the type 4 and the professional manner in which my build took place. I'll let you know the second it fires in it's original home. Guy
jimtab
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Oct 19 2005, 04:09 AM)
QUOTE (jimtab @ Oct 19 2005, 02:07 AM)
...and from a real philosopher... no shit...Alan Watts.

You knew Alan Watts? That's cool!
I read a lot of his books, including The Book (on the taboo against knowing who you are) and The Wisdom of Insecurity.

He was a scholar in residence at SJSU when I was there. I think his year was 1966. I met him twice without knowing who he was, he introduced himself as Alan, just that. We had some interesting conversations over the year or so. Wide ranging and maybe more focused after I found out who the hell to whom I was talking. I never took one of his classes but I did attend a few "retreats" and seminars he was involved in, and just hung out often.
I think he and Buckminster Fuller (another scholar in res.) were two of the most keen minds I've ever been personally exposed to, different but amazing. It was a privilege I didn't really appreciate at the time. I can recommend a further book of his, try The way of Zen.
bmcwilli
As someone else said...go away for a couple days and all hell breaks loose.

I missed the original thread. From what I read here, I'm glad that I missed it.

I own a nice SoCal 74 2.0. I want to start novice AX next season, and am continually conflicted about whether to put $$ into the teener (it's bone stock) or invest in a newe platform (miata, Civic Si are the leading candidates)

The possibilities that Raby Power provide, keep me on this fence.

Jake, keep the faith.

As for people who renig on their commitments, you owe them ZILCH. They willingly entered into a contract with you, you did not seek them out. If I were you, I would almost never issue a refund.

50% deposit is common practice. Make it clear that once work starts, the deposit is 100% non-refundable.

Regards,
Bryan
DNHunt
As someone who has been through this a few years ago. Here is my advice.

1) Make sure the car is safe. Brakes in good order? Steering and suspension in good shape?

2) Good street rubber. I know many people like the Falken Azenis

3) Spend money on the driver. Driver's skill days and any other seat time with experienced drivers helping you. To prove you need this get an experienced AX driver to co-drive your car then you try to match his time. Good Luck! Or just talk to JP.

4) Go have fun. Do the best you can against yourself for a while then spend money on upgrades if you want. Try to improve your driving first. When you can drive the heck out of that little car then move up.

Wisdom from a true middle of the pack guy who's still learning

Dave
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 18 2005, 06:19 AM)
Well I just got out here a few minutes ago after a good nights sleep and things are already looking better than they were yesterday..

damn guys- How many of you are going to email me?? I have like 40 more messages to read- I'm going to read them all ane even if I don't respond now that i appreciate it all.

Like I said- I'm holding off on acceptig any more 914 builds for now. I'll make my deciion on what I should do to make this aspect of my engine shop as fun as it should be with less hassles.. Thats probably going to mean a 50% deposit to get on the wait list, instead of just a couple hundred bucks.... The past couple of years I have let my guard down on who does and does not get one of my engines and I'll definately be waking that part of things up here and implementing a questionaire that each potential customer will have to complete online before their irst email goes through... Part of that WILL be a credit check..

Thanks again guys.

BTW- Dave Hunt ranks aong the top of the list for my best customers ever-Thanks Dave!!!

So 914 people are still all in the same group? What? Can't trust anyone wanting a motor for a 914 or just anyone wanting a type IV motor?... You'll still accept the 356 crowd won't you? Or are you not building motors for anyone? dry.gif
Jake, If I were you I'd delete this thread too. Just another type of insult as far as I'm concerned. What type of credit check are you planning to do? Do you realize you can actually damage someone credit if this is done incorrectly? I guess a guy can't have a Christmas account or saving account with cash set asside for an engine build.. huh.gif Are you going to run credit checks for the 365 guys too? I'd like to be in on that conference call. ohmy.gif

And for all you guy's that don't mind being insulted.. What ever..

It's one thing to post your having a bad day. It's ok to say I had a 914 guy cancel a build. I'm not too happy about it but I have a partially built motor I can sell for a special price.

It's another thing to say I'm having a bad day and all 914 people are losers, Oh I take back the direct insult and delete that post but I'm still not building motors for you guys! You all can't be trusted wacko.gif But maybe If you kiss my ass enough will you reconsider? pray.gif

Toss the ego Jake. Your soo lucky to have this bunch of devoted 914 guy's offering up their good feeling. I'm not sure you get it. I'm not sure you'll ever get. But you need to.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 18 2005, 07:19 AM)

Dave ranks just below me on the list! rolleyes.gif
DNHunt
Rick

I can't agree with some of the stuff you said. I for one think credit checks are appropriate. As a small business man myself getting stiffed really hurts and I try to protect myself anyway I can. I would assume Jake will take appropriate measures to protect his clients credit, since he himself has liability here.

Jake shouldn't paint all 914 owners with such a broad brush no doubt. But, he later apologized. 1 wrong 1 right, I think all should be forgiven.

Because 914's are affordable the price doesn't select for people who automatically afford the things they want. Personally, I think that's great cause it makes 914 owners a diverse group and I enjoy that. But, it also causes concerns for a business man. How many of our cars have a shoestring budget? If anything financial hardship comes up the car budget gets the ax and Jake's left holding the bag. I'd be mad too and I would try everything I could to protect my interest.

Sometimes business is about keeping from getting screwed. I'm a little synical.

Dave

rick 918-S
I owned a Custom/Collision Auto Body Shop for 20 years. 6 full time employees and all there baggage. I had my share of bad deals as anyone in the trades will. I agree you should qualify your customers. But this should be done on a personal and induvidual basis. The whole tone here is just wrong. Jake wants customers but doesn't want any of the risk that goes along with being self employed. Life in business isn't fair. Accept it or get a regular job.

Sorry, I just don't see this as an appoligy. You don't appoligize out of one side of your face and and then tell people your not sure there good enough to work for as a group. I for one don't like it. I have never met a 914 guy I wouldn't work for. I'm sure there are a few out there. But with all risk in a hobby market there are way more rewards.

My oppinion and final word. No ill will intended. I just don't get it. I wouldn't treat any customers like that and I don't like the vibe I get from someone that would. screwy.gif
jasons
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Oct 22 2005, 07:18 AM)
Sorry, I just don't see this as an appoligy. You don't appoligize out of one side of your face and and then tell people your not sure there good enough to work for as a group. I for one don't like it.

My oppinion and final word. No ill will intended. I just don't get it. I wouldn't treat any customers like that and I don't like the vibe I get from someone that would. screwy.gif

agree.gif Thank You, for saying it.

J P Stein
Part of being all growed up is recognizing that everyone isn't.
To me, life is a serise of events that round off your sharp edges. I'm pretty sure that Jake got some radius put on him thru this set to....time will tell. He should realize that many of his customers are not grown up either...and,IMO, there are a fair percentage amongst 914 owners. I don't disagree with his basic premise, but the communication of his thoughts is pretty lousy. No surprise there, he & I have been going at it for years smile.gif

It all comes down to : Which would you rather have working for you, someone who is *really* good at his job, but is a PITA
or a mistake prone person who is a swell guy.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Oct 22 2005, 08:22 AM)
It all comes down to : Which would you rather have working for you, someone who is *really* good at his job, but is a PITA
or a mistake prone person who is a swell guy.

...And if you want the latter, just give me a call!! lol2.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.