Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My deleted post about 914 engines, It was off base.......
Jake Raby
post Oct 17 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

And I quickly found that from the 30+ emails that I received in less than 2 hours that I was screwed up.. I could then see that the post had the beginnings for a flame war and none of us need that.....

It appears that I was more wrong than I have ever been and I was grouping you guys with a bunch that you don't belong with......

I'd say after seeing this amount of feedback that I'll be making things more refined for 2006 for the 914 engines... Maybe I will make things simpler and slightly less custom just to keep the 914 a vehicle I can continue to support, but without serious volume increases the prices won't be dropping... I will probably create a standard price for 4 of my engines for the 914 and not offer any others- that alone will make things easier as many of you mentioned.. They won't be as custom but they still won't be mass produced..

So I want to apologize for my screwey behavior- Its been a long, hard day.. One of the worst I have had here in about 5 years.... If it could happen it did- I suppose I took it out on you guys and since I have been thinking of killing the 914 side of the house I jumped to a conclusion....

I don't apologize often and when I do I have to know I'm really wrong. I can do that.....

This email just came in and it was one of the ones that made me really understand that what I do is appreciated and when it gets right down to it that all I really give a damn about.

You're contemplating whether or not to quit the 914 world. I said this before, but when I think of the 914 I think of Jake Raby. In my opinion, 914's would suck without Raby, except to the conversion guys. I'd feel alone in the 914 world without you, simply because I only want something German and aircooled in my 914. If you have no other reason to stay, at least let your last resort be preventing radiators from taking over the 914 world.

I'll let you guys know my intent with the 914 world as soon as I get a grip on what to do next... I promise you'll be the first to know..

Jake
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 17 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

hey jake. take a day off and relax. shitty days are just that...shitty.

Aircooled all the way (IMG:http://www.antiwarcommittee.org/images/clipart/organizing/unite.jpg)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 17 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

keep that impeller fan turnin' man.....

I will always remember what you told me:

"If the screws ain't turnin' somethings burning"

EDIT: none of the above makes sense....

i'll be keeping you in my thoughts, positive vibes coming your way....

:^) b
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 17 2005, 10:47 PM
Post #4

Engine Surgeon

Thanks guys... It has been a shitty day for sure... Damn cool wether lately has got my allergies kickin and my head poundin- hell I should be in bed and not in this office..

Like I said- I'll let you know what happens here, but regardless the 914 Turbo world is gettin a jump start and its already started.... But i'll be without my teener in our best driving season dammit!
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Oct 17 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,191

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Oct 17 2005, 11:47 PM)
But i'll be without my teener in our best driving season dammit!

Go get you or dust off a nice 356 for one of those "fun runs" those Atlanta 356 guys are going on all the time. Driving always makes me feel better (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Oct 17 2005, 11:08 PM
Post #6

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

What's the saying? "Fuch 'em if they can't take a joke?" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

I hope you saw the err of your ways. You're only human. But a few are insulted beyond bandages.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 17 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #7

Engine Surgeon

It wasn't what was being said here that made me realize anything... It was what was said in email and even two phone calls that really hit home....

You're only human. But a few are insulted beyond bandages
If those guys have bnever made a mistake- they are not human.... I don't make a whole lot of them and when i do it is typically something to do with "people" because I'm in my own little world and due to a certain condition that haunts me it makes me pretty hard to see others views sometimes.... That same condition is what enables me to do the things I do, so its an evil trade off most of the time..

Damn- I have apologized two times in one day- I think I have a fever...
+Quote Post
Engman
post Oct 17 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #8

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

Go take a couple of tylenol and ger some sleep.

I, really appreciate your dedication.

I am too tired right now to tell you about the 'core' and the tire kickers.

Keep up the good work - try to price accorddingly - I have seen your work and it ranks right up there - do not change.

M
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 17 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #9

Engine Surgeon

Thanks man...
I need some of those goodies that you have too!
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Oct 17 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #10

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Jake, I read the following quote and feel really bad.

But i'll be without my teener in our best driving season dammit!

Jake, I'll be happy to lend you my 1.7L, I will even pay for the shipping. All I ask in return is that you treat it right, feed it good parts, so that when it comes home, it is a grown up 2270.

On the other hand, why shouldn't your teener be on jack stands like every one elses?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 18 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

LOL.. Nice try!

My fabricator had a spot that I just could not pass up to get the Turbo plumbing all done up for the teener.... And then today I exploded the tranny in the Blue Bug taking a potential customer for a test spin (it was time for it to go).....

So I'm down to the Pinzgauer, 912E and the bus for now....

+Quote Post
swood
post Oct 18 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 251
Region Association: None

QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 17 2005, 10:24 PM)
Jake, you are just as retarded as we are.

Regards,

Miles Hendrix

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 18 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #13

Engine Surgeon

More retarded...
We didn't have short busses here, but if we did I would have been on one...
+Quote Post
MattR
post Oct 18 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Jake,

your avatar helps us understand (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
type47
post Oct 18 2005, 06:56 AM
Post #15

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Jake, i've never met you but i have a sense of your personality from the many, many posts of yours that i have read. i get the impression that you do the right thing and work toward improvement of the species and experiment to back up your opinions. i'd like to state my support of your work and appreciate what you do for the 914 community. keep up the great work.
+Quote Post
charlesmac
post Oct 18 2005, 07:13 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,264

Jake,
I gotta say that when i met you i could immediately tell how much passion you have for what you do. Even though i haven't put it together, you're the reason i have an awesome engine for my 914, just wanted to say thanks. OH, speaking of that, if you need a motor for yours you can use mine if ya wanna assemble it. never hurts to ask does it.

Charles
+Quote Post
Rleog
post Oct 18 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,239
Region Association: North East States

There's a lot more support out there than situations sometimes allow you to realize. If it's possible, step back and take a look at what you've offered the 914 community......it would be a much poorer place without your research, hardware, and your advice.
+Quote Post
Pugbug
post Oct 18 2005, 07:37 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,604

Jake;
Man you really had me scared there for awhile. I have never purchased one of your engines but was planning to get one for my 914 eventually. Ever since I first started messing around with VWs about six years ago you have helped me through the Shop Talk Forums many times, and more recently on this forum with engine problems on my 914.
I have three trouble free aircooled vehicles (none on jack stands) A big part of the reason for this is because of the advise and help you have given to me and others through the forums.
Expect a call from me early in 2006 to order a new heart for my 914. I will be in no hurry, as it runs fine now, but I'd like more a bit more power.
I'm so glad you have changed you mind re- 914 engines.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Oct 18 2005, 07:40 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Hang in there Jake. You really can't appreciate the good days without a few bad days thrown in there.

Dave
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 18 2005, 08:19 AM
Post #20

Engine Surgeon

Well I just got out here a few minutes ago after a good nights sleep and things are already looking better than they were yesterday..

damn guys- How many of you are going to email me?? I have like 40 more messages to read- I'm going to read them all ane even if I don't respond now that i appreciate it all.

Like I said- I'm holding off on acceptig any more 914 builds for now. I'll make my deciion on what I should do to make this aspect of my engine shop as fun as it should be with less hassles.. Thats probably going to mean a 50% deposit to get on the wait list, instead of just a couple hundred bucks.... The past couple of years I have let my guard down on who does and does not get one of my engines and I'll definately be waking that part of things up here and implementing a questionaire that each potential customer will have to complete online before their irst email goes through... Part of that WILL be a credit check..

Thanks again guys.

BTW- Dave Hunt ranks aong the top of the list for my best customers ever-Thanks Dave!!!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 07:18 AM