Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reinforcement for weltmeister needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Anyone that is running a weltmeister front sway bar do you think it is necessary to reinforce the area around where the bar comes through the wheel well? The bar will be installed over the winter and I'm going to do install Engmans long kit so since welder.gif is out might as well add his front swaybar reinforcements if needed.

My car is becoming a AX car that I drive on the street but I think his smaller plates will enough for what I am doing.
What do you think?
John
After completely ripping the inner wheel well steel, I installed some reinforcing as shown below.

All stuff will tear up eventually. I have torn ears off the a-arms, broken drop links and torn the sheet metal. I think my weak link now is the drop rods and ends. They are easier to fix at the track though...

GaroldShaffer
I currently don't have any rips so I think I will just go with the small plates
GaroldShaffer
but if I'm going to do it maybe I should just go full out and use the BIG ones idea.gif confused24.gif wacko.gif
John
I didn't have any rips prior to the whole triangular plate being torn. Two of the sides were ripped and the third side was not far behind.

I bet I won't rip my plates off now.

I think my tires would rub on those "larger" plates at full lock.
Engman
Do the larger ones - you will not reget it. These sit in the recess area. Rubbing is not going to ocurr.

I will be doing my usual FFC specials - get them there.

M
GaroldShaffer
Mark bring a set of the biguns for me beer.gif
John
These sit in the recess area. Rubbing is not going to ocurr.

Did you look at the pic I posted above? The area touched up with grey primer just behind the rotor is an area where the tire can rub at full lock. (Yes they are massive tires in there) That is part of the reason why my reinforcement plates are shaped the way they are. Another reason is that when full welded, the weld penetration goes through more than one thickness of body panels.

I would tend to agree the larger reinforcement would be better if tire rubbing is not an issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.