Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cookie Cutter Mega Phone Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Bay 914
Here is the result of a day off well spent, welded in a patch for the original exit pipe, and made two more for the muffler that I got from evil bay...Stern says it ROCKS! Sound is great as well! Looks OEM I think.
North Bay 914
North Bay 914
Aaron Cox
knights of columbus that rocks.

damn.... looks too cool.
way to go martin!

hey stern wavey.gif
North Bay 914
North Bay 914
Hey Aaron, Stern says Hello back (RUF, RUF)...
SirAndy
nice!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
North Bay 914
It makes the engine sound great, nice rumble. Gives it a sport car sound...
porschecb
I want one! rolleyes.gif
North Bay 914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 18 2005, 03:32 PM)
nice!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Thanks Andy, still thinking about getting another made. A guy I work with said no problem to duplicate the Cookie Cutter Mega Phones..
North Bay 914
QUOTE (porschecb @ Oct 18 2005, 03:33 PM)
I want one! rolleyes.gif

I really like it, I am floored by how much better the sound is. The thing that I like the best is that at about 75-80 MPH you can just here the engine, not to loud, with a true sport car sound. I would like to get another, or be able to offer it to folks, so if I can work out a deal with someone to make them, then I will. I want those tips on my GT muffler.
Mueller
QUOTE (North Bay 914 @ Oct 18 2005, 04:32 PM)

now you need a real sports car to go with the sound wacko.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Looks good, you made it look factory with the valance and all clap.gif
North Bay 914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 18 2005, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (North Bay 914 @ Oct 18 2005, 04:32 PM)

now you need a real sports car to go with the sound wacko.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Looks good, you made it look factory with the valance and all clap.gif

Thanks Mike, know anyone who can make these? The rumor on this was it was built by Stoddard PORSCHE in Ohio, using a standard 2.0 muffler. I know that they used to sell allot of MOTORSPORT parts...
jgara962
Looks great smilie_pokal.gif

Make a sound clip for us!!!
North Bay 914
jgara962
Yeah, I'm really not sure how to post a sound file either, but hopefully someone can tell you.

I may try to go to the Nov 13 autocross at Sears Point, but probably just to watch. My tires are a little sketchy right now.

Where in the North Bay are you located?
North Bay 914
FAIRFIELD...in the Hood...close to the mall.
bjorn jacobson
Looks great. Is that a dansk muffler? i have a set of those megaphones and was thinking of doing exactly what you have pictured.
North Bay 914
It is a 100%stock Two liter muffler, still has the VW part number on it. Dansk cost like $4000.00 each I think...lol
Hammy
For the sound clip, just find one of those free media hosting sites(there's many) and upload it onto there and post a link to it. Or maybe someone has some server space somewhere idea.gif
Andyrew
What exactly does the cookie cutter mega phone's do compared to straight pipes?

Would it make sense to put in on a v8???

Im just still thinking about my exhaust...
Dr. Roger
I don't know whether to listen to the exhaust note or raise my hands in surrender. laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Gilbert914
That just looks sooooo cool, I'm betting it sounds awesome too aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Brando
Any chance I can purchase just a pair of the cookie cutters? I have my own plan to eliminate a muffler later on smile.gif
Dr. Roger
Now that's what I call "tailgating deterrent". huh.gif laugh.gif
meares
that looks REAL nice!!!!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif where can i find the cookie cutters?
GaroldShaffer
clap.gif I like that look. Nice job
North Bay 914
Thanks everyone for the positive comments, I have been contacted by someone who says they can make this type of mega phone. I'll keep everyone in the loop. If you are coming to the Nov Sears Point Auto Cross, you can hear it there. Then swing by for our 914 Club, PCA meet and greet. Snacks/grill provided, and two parts cars if you need anything!

Martin
North Bay 914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 18 2005, 08:46 PM)
What exactly does the cookie cutter mega phone's do compared to straight pipes?

It is my understanding that the cookie cutter part of these is strictly a spark/flame arrestor. Anyone else know? I read that somewhere...
Andyrew
I would assume that it changes the sound a little bit. Something about flow and whatnot.

I get flames coming out of my exhaust... Maybe its a good excuse...

lol
jd74914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 19 2005, 03:57 PM)
I would assume that it changes the sound a little bit. Something about flow and whatnot.

I get flames coming out of my exhaust... Maybe its a good excuse...

lol

seriously?

cause if thats true you would seem to have too much backpressure cool.gif
Andyrew
Lol

Um

no, I dont have to much backpressure laugh.gif

Actually its caused by a header gasket that blew out at the wcc (just a piece of it.. lol) that I left out.

Throws a good flame that can be seen in the exhaust at night... (at least this was the case when I was running with the holley carb, now I doubt I still have the flame with the TBI)

Just another reason I dont drive my car at night.

btw, Im running a sbc...
Andrew
olav

Looks kinda ricey to me.

huh.gif
North Bay 914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 19 2005, 12:57 PM)

To be honest, I think they striclty stop the big parts, like chunks of metal that are red hot as an engine melts down and self destructs....
Brando
I want to do something like this smile.gif

user posted image

Except not crappy.
Trekkor
Nice work, as usual, Martin!

The cookie cutter insert is just to provide strength to the megaphone so it doesn't get all bent up or flattened.

Be careful at sears, Martin. Strict noise regulations in effect. 103db all day. They will black flag.

If you think it might be too loud bring another muffler. just in case. wink.gif

KT
Eric_Shea
It is my understanding that the cookie cutter part of these is strictly a spark/flame arrestor. Anyone else know?

I read somewhere that it was just trickery by the factory mechanics because all the other teams were watching them. May never have an answer. Trekkor's is the best I've heard.
North Bay 914
i love porsche
that is EXACTLY the same idea i had for my exhaust.....i love how it came out...i cant wait for mine!
olav
QUOTE (North Bay 914 @ Oct 19 2005, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (olav @ Oct 19 2005, 02:27 PM)
Looks kinda ricey to me.

huh.gif

PLEASE....Does this look ricey to you as well?

Nope.

If they are real megaphones coming off the headers for performance purposes.

"Ricey" to me means show-and-no-go so the megaphones grafted to a muffler kinda defeats the purpose of the megaphone.

Just my $.02

beer.gif
nein14-6
It’s my understanding also that the Cookie cutter inserts were started to prevent collapsing. Without them, people can “nudge” you from the back and close off your exhaust.
Mueller
QUOTE (olav @ Oct 20 2005, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (North Bay 914 @ Oct 19 2005, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (olav @ Oct 19 2005, 02:27 PM)
Looks kinda ricey to me.

huh.gif

PLEASE....Does this look ricey to you as well?

Nope.

If they are real megaphones coming off the headers for performance purposes.

"Ricey" to me means show-and-no-go so the megaphones grafted to a muffler kinda defeats the purpose of the megaphone.

Just my $.02

beer.gif

Olav...what is up with this thread? Olav looking for a "sport" muffler

The only difference between the "megaphones" grafted onto the muffler and the straight pipes grafted onto the muffler you asked about (which the factory had on some cars) is the shape of the pipes....the shape could be for performance* or looks, if you are diss'n the "looks", then the muffler you asked about should fall into the same catorgory due to the chrome tips, they serve no purpose except for looks, which according to you, falls into being "rice" smile.gif

*you can tune the exhaust with the shape and length of the pipes, most are just cut to one length

To me, the megaphone shape adds a new dimension to the muffler and looks better than just 2 straight pipes sticking out the end....

user posted image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.