Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumble Bee Racer (aka das Boot) Almost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Porsche Rescue
We have ignition and are near lift off. Rain or shine das Boot will autocross Sunday.
Many thanks to Club member Jeff Hines (sixnotfour) who built a 2.7 engine to replace the Motormeister grenade. The cost of the fresh engine was extremely reasonable. Jeff also supplied some Webers and a flywheel/clutch. He modified the cooler and made a custom metal line to the tank. When I was having trouble tuning it he made a special trip to Portland from north of Seattle and re-jetted the carbs, then went home and mailed me some larger venturis. I can't thank him enough.
I also need to thank JP Stein who loaned me his engine jack, built my shift rod, helped light the fire last month and otherwise held my hand.
Now to the cosmetics:
Here is the way she looked on arrival.
Porsche Rescue
Three Club members (Craig Laughlin, Gary Chapman and Jeff Hines)
all said "get rid of the negative stripes". So I did.
markb
smilie_pokal.gif clap.gif
Porsche Rescue
Then I put on her "dancing shoes" (V Racers). Only did one side until I decide if it is going to rain on Sunday.
Frankly, I like the yellow Revolutions better. Does that mean I have a regressive "ricer" gene somewhere in the profile?

Now to the garage to change the venturis.
Porsche Rescue
Forgot the pic
Aaron Cox
stripes and yellow wheels looked better! smilie_pokal.gif
olav

Way to go. Looking good!

And to the club members that helped, JP Stein and Jeff Hines, you guys rock!!

smilie_pokal.gif
i love porsche
looks awesome!!!

i personally liked the stripes...but its great nonetheless!
brant
NICE.

very very nice.
cool.
I'm excited.

hey quite saying nice things about JP. your going to undermine all of the propaganda I've been planting!

good job!

brant
Rand

Before:
user posted image

After:
user posted image

Hmm... I like the look of the before better. But congrats on the progress. Really cool to hear about club members pitching in!
smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
nice mudflaps! biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
Lesson learned: Don't declare victory until the battle is over. May not be dancing Sunday afterall. Over torqued set screw holding venturi. Gotta big hole. I really didn't feel like it was even snug before it broke. Screws had been locktited in instead of wired. I think the locktite residue may have altered the feel as I tightened. Anyway, now I gotta problem. Superglue, JB weld, new carb!!!
One piece:
Porsche Rescue
And the other............shit!
Dave_Darling
Ouch!! Sorry, Jim--no good data on what you "should do". JB weld might hold it; not really sure.

I'd suggest taking a rattlecan to the second set of wheels, though. See if you can match the rest of the yellow close-enough.

I'll echo Miles' sentiment about the nose, too. ohmy.gif

--DD
J P Stein
AUUGGGH........
For one event, Epoxy....the long cure stuff. I've never usd JB weld so I dunno about that.

I'd try globing some on....and on the venturi, pull the bolt first, what ever glue, duct tape to hold till setup, cut a hole in the tape to reinstall the bolt (& safety wire). I hab no idea if this will work sad.gif
The tape should hold it in there if the glue cracks. If it totaly falls out, it could get ugly. Bring extra tape.
DrifterJay
JB weld should work gud....I have had to do BDAR (battlefield damage assessment and repair)....Repaired two holes the size of a dime on an oil pan of an 1114 Humvee.. (6.5 liter single turbo uparmored humvee).....Truck has been rolling good for the past several months no leaks....JB weld can work wonders...so long as you keep everything clean.... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
JB Weld
boxstr
Jim I have a set of Webers sitting at CAMP. Your welcome to see if they will work.
CCLINCARBSRUS
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Craig. I'm going to give JB Weld a chance. If it doesn't work I'll take you up on the offer.
Bleyseng
JBWeld and stick the stripes back on!

ditch the nose and install a proper FG front bumper and LE spoiler...... barf.gif
Porsche Rescue
I think I agree with Geoff. Where do I get stripes? Jeff Bowlsby? it was a bitch to get those things off!!
goose2
Jim...the JB weld will work...get the mating surfaces real clean with acetone first....make big fillets, don't worry about looks.......don't glue in the venturi. I like the yellow wheels better too cool.gif .....the car looks beautiful!
Porsche Rescue
Well, JB Weld it is. Patched it together tonight. Sleeping with my fingers AND legs crosssed.

I'm being punished by Ferdinand's ghost for posting pictures and inviting you guys to take shots. My first mistake was asking my buddies about the side stripes. My wife told me to leave them on. Maybe I'm being punished for not listening to her (as usual).
boxstr
Do petrol and JB work okay together. Leave the stripes off. The car looks great as is.
CCLINCARBSRUS
drgchapman
Crap...I dont' believe it! ohmy.gif
Let me know if I can help.
I'm off on Friday, at your service. biggrin.gif

Missed you at the Cart track tonight. Had a great time with Craig, Ken, and few other of Craig's friends. What a blast! We got run a total of 50 minutes in three sessions. 9hp, felt pretty fast. Good driving lesson. I'm feeling racey for this weekend!
drgchapman
Oh yeah, will JB weld hold gas? It's a pretty good solvent, especially with ultrasonic vibration. Does an engine produce ultrasonic vibration?
gregrobbins
JB Weld should work fine once cured. You can get the stripes from Jeff.

Listen to your innerself: its your car, do any and everything you want to it. Mostly, have fun with it.

Oh yes, always listen to your wife......well maybe not always, mine thinks Miatas are cuter than 914s, and don't I want one of them?

How do you politely say: HELL NO!
lagunero
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Oct 19 2005, 09:38 PM)
Sleeping with my fingers AND legs crosssed.

are you sleeping in Corona tonite? ohmy.gif Wishing you luck!
lotus_65
has anyone tried alumaloy?
Britain Smith
You guys went karting and didn't invite me...man, I need to get on the Portland cool guy list.

I finally got my lug bolts from Bill so I can mount my AX tires, however I snapped the roll pin in my pedal cluster so I got to drive home from work to other day without a clutch. I picked up a new roll pin today and will install it tomorrow along with the heater. Who knows, maybe I will make it out to play this weekend.

-Britain
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Oct 19 2005, 07:07 PM)
I think I agree with Geoff. Where do I get stripes? Jeff Bowlsby? it was a bitch to get those things off!!

MikeZ can make em..
jasons
I saw that car on copart.com way back when. It was a victim of the Pittsburgh flood.

Good job bringing it back to life!

BTW I will put my vote in for the neg stripe too.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (drgchapman @ Oct 19 2005, 10:56 PM)
Missed you at the Cart track tonight. ... We got run a total of 50 minutes in three sessions.

Jesus! I'd be beat to hell after 50 minutes of karting!! Then again, I keep trying to muscle the car around, so my arms get very sore...

That reminds me, I have a "deal" for Tuesdays at GKR... I may just head up there next week...

--DD
boxstr
Gary, sorry to have to inform you that you are "uninvited " to kart racin g with us anymore. Thats what happens when you go to fast. laugh.gif
Way to showem. Lets go again.
CCLINAPEXWHATAPEX
Porsche Rescue
Well, here's the patch......surgical it ain't. Solid enough that it accepted the set screw, snugged tight by hand. Don't laugh at the "daisy chain" wiring job. The screw is wired to the broken piece. If the piece comes out I want to be able to find it hanging there. Haven't done a road test yet. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry so I can get it good and warm before re-tuning the carbs. If I get to that point I should be good to go. Suspect I won't have any trouble knowing if it falls out!
drgchapman
Looks like I'm good to play golf tomorrow?
Geeez, hope that works. unsure.gif
Can it be welded (real welding) after that JB is done?
Porsche Rescue
Don't think you can weld pot metal. I am optimistic. The stuff is very hard. They claim it can be drilled.
drgchapman
Don't think you can weld pot metal. I am optimistic. The stuff is very hard. They claim it can be drilled.

Silly me, I thought they were made of aluminum.

Gary, sorry to have to inform you that you are "uninvited " to kart racin g with us anymore. Thats what happens when you go to fast.  
Way to showem. Lets go again.
CCLINAPEXWHATAPEX

Craig, you missed my lecture after the last heat.....I was working one of the guys to pass right in front of the waiting area and someone taged me from behind, the guy I was passing pinched me into the wall, I was off the racing line to pass......and I ended up in the wall. Then got the lecture for aggressive driving. I'll bring my driving shoes and gloves next time........watch out.

calvin.gif
Eric_Shea
That'll hold.

I sure hope your inner self tells you to take that snowplow off the front.
Porsche Rescue
It does. Going to find a painted steel or fiberglass bumper and paint it yellow. Get an LE air dam. The snow plow does have functional brake cooling ducts. Maybe I can vent through the horn grills.
Going back the the stripes too. Jeff Bowlsby is helping me out there. The car was born an LE and even though heavily modified I want it to be a "Bumble Bee".
boxstr
Gary I admit that the bumping was getting a little out of hand. I think someone was trying to make the passes and not do it cleanly. Does his name begin with Ken?? dry.gif He kept insisting that "I didn't hit you".
I am thinking about going over tonight to race, want to go?
CCLINKARTME
Porsche Rescue
Well the Bumble Bee Racer is back on the road. The carb patch seems to be holding. 70 degrees and sunny in Portland today so she may go to the dance on Sunday in these shoes.........
Porsche Rescue
Then again, the weather forcast for Sunday is 40% chance of rain, so we may wear these slippers.........
sixnotfour
Go get em Jim,
Taking the neg stripe was your only option /free, The center stripe is painted.
personnaly I would remove that stripe , put neg stipe back on ,change front bumper/ spoiler.
its easy to say it, its your money I am thinking of spending laugh.gif
Or leave as is with yellow wheels.

Glad the epoxy is working, Drive that thing, 200miles in 3months is not enough, with the great weather youve had. driving.gif
Porsche Rescue
Decisions, decisions.........put the numbers on sail panel when side stripe was in place. Looked good there. Now I think they would be better down low behind the door. Guess I have all winter to figure it all out.
Eric Taylor
looks great jim! I don't know about the strips, it sure does look sexy right now in that portland sun. biggrin.gif
Eric
goose2
Jim, If you like I can Photoshop some alternative schemes for you. I'd need some good, straight-on side shots in hi-resolutions.
Porsche Rescue
Thanks Randy, but my camera is far from high resolution, cheap 1.3 megapixel Olympus.
JeffBowlsby
I really like the look of the car Jim. You have obviously done the "Chambers Treatment" on the paint....it looks liquid...and superb.

I share your idea that because its an LE it should look like an LE, but because it wants to be a race car, it should look like a race car.

I love the center stripe and the Rev wheels, they look well done and adds an exciting racey look to the car while nodding to the LE heritage.

I would add the neg side stripe back on, to match the same yellow you have, and maybe make one other change. The tops of the bumpers...they are so Yellow...Maybe thats ok becasue it should be LOUD....but maybe paint them black to tone down the scheme a little?

Decisions decisions....
Porsche Rescue
Jeff, I like your suggestions. Now that I have it running I can spend the winter focusing on the appearance. Fun.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.