Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welder reccomendation?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, I need to buy a welder. I have not welded, though I have been wanting to learn for some time. At most I want to spend $500 - I'd rather pay as little as possible for a tool to get the job done. I'll be welding sheet metal - the usual 914 stuff. Bits of the front and rear trunk need to be replaced, and once I have the thing, I am sure Iwill find other things that need it too.

Problem is, I don't know a whole lot about welders. I have read a lot on how to weld. I know that MIG welding is probably the way for me to go. But I don't know what to look for in a welder. Sales folk are going to try and sell me more welder then I need - its thier job. So, I'm asking the folks that know.

I probably won't buy one till after the holidays. maybe find sales somewhere... But let me know what to look for.

Thanks

Zach
balljoint
MIG will give you much better results just starting out, and will make it easier to weld smaller gauges. I assume you are looking for a portable unit that uses 110 v input?

I started with a Lincoln Electric wire feed arc-welder that I eventually bought the MIG conversion kit for. I am no Hell as a welder but I don't suck anymore.
seanery
with that budget I'd look for a good/clean used Millermatic 135. welder.gif
tat2dphreak
miller or lincoln wit mig regulator.... I think you can find them for about $400... then use the extra on a auto-dark helmet
airsix
Get a Hobart Handler like this one, in 125, 135, or 140 amp for around $400 if you shop around (after-Christmass sale got me a good deal on mine). That leaves you $100 to get a bottle for shielding gas, some solid core wire, tips, spatter spray, gloves, and a mask. Out the door and set up with good equipment for $500. I'd check with your local welding supply stores for a deal on the Handler and bottle. They might make you a package deal, and you ought to be able to do it all for $500. Don't buy cheap junk. Get the Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln in 125 amp or higher. Don't be tempted to get a little 90 amp flux-core from the hardware store. Go to a welding supply outfit and get set up right. You have enough budget to get a quality welder that will last your lifetime.

-Ben M.
nebreitling
i'm also in the market for a mig, and i've been looking at clarke welders.

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingd...epot/index.html

i want 220 power, i don't want to spend a grand, and i don't want a harbor freight unit. anyhow, a "220 Volt 180 Amp (No Gas or Gas) Mig Welder 10/2 Year Warranty" for $340 ($400+ after regulator and accesories) seems like a damn steal to me. it's not a miller, but it has an acceptable duty cycle and some nice features.
Spoke
I just purchased a Miller Millermatic 135 110V MIG welder. The sales guy talked me into it instead of the Lincoln Weldpac 100. It was a bit more costly ($660 w/o tank) but it does have continuous voltage adjustment and cart. I just went through this selection and had a thread here; lots of good feedback; basic feedback was spend the money on a good unit. I'm glad I did. Good luck.

I bought an 80 cubic foot tank from www.cyberweld.com for $170 with free shipping. They even filled it before shipping for an additional $25.

Spoke
Brett W
Clarke=Harbour Freight junk. Century=Tractor Supply Junk. Buy a quality name brand. I love Miller, but have limited experience with Lincoln. Hobart is Miller. Spring for one of their 135 or 175 models. I picked up my Millermatic 175 with full 80CF tank for 662$ Bought local got the bottle, full, for 120. Added a 10lb spool of .035 wire also.

Most tanks will cost you 145. My local shops aren't doing bottle rentals to the weekend warrior anymore. Keep in mind a set of gloves will cost you 20+ and a decent mask will cost about that. Yes an auto-darkening is nice but not essential.

You will probabl not ever wear out your welder, but with a major brand quality welder you will have a supply for repair and maintainence parts forever.
HeloMech
FWIW, I bought the harbor freight mig welder. I just wanted something to tinker with. I've had it a while and just ran out the first spool of wire on it last week. The one I bought is the 120vt version. 87 amps. I went to a regular welding shop and bought quality guages/reg setup with the argon/co2 bottle. That stuff will swap over to a lincoln if I upgrade. I've welded on all sorts of things. My own, and friends, coworkers, etc. It's got 4 heat settings and wire speed dial. Only issue I ever have is if I get lazy and don't clean something before trying to weld it.

however, the little red lincoln weldpak is nice. It's got a nicer hose, larger grounding clamp, better electronics and the weld "SOUNDS" better when you're laying it down.

but again, I monkey'd with the flux core wire that came with the welder... then bought the MIG setup about a week or two later. I've not had any problems with it at all. The wire has always fed through it smoothly, etc HF sells all the parts for it anyway. At least, here they do.
Series9
This is the minimum I would buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINCOLN-SP135-PLUS-MIG...1QQcmdZViewItem

Lincoln SP135+. Yes, you can get a cheaper welder, but you should get a quality machine. This machine has infinitely adjustable voltage and not just a four-position selector.

Please don't use flux core wire on your car. Please do spend another $120 to get a bottle and fill it with quality shielding gas (Argon/CO2).

Total cost: $660. Trust me, it's worth the extra $160 over your max budget.
Britain Smith
What do you guys think about this one?

Lincoln - Light Duty AC/DC 225/125 K1297

-Britain
Brew
Britain, those are much more difficult to use on old sheetmetal than a Mig rig. The Tig feature is kinda nice, but it's not for the novice. It also costs extra for the Tig torch, and I'm not sure it has a gas solenoid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.