Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: performance cam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
id like to get a better cam than the stock 1.7

id really like a roller cam.
is there a best one?

what about titanium valves and valve springs?
3 angle valve job?
performance rockers?

do they make performance puch rods?

id really like to stay with the stock fuel injection, cuz webers are gonns cost me $900
davep
Talk to Jake Raby or you might throw your money away. The cam has to be chosen based on intended use, fuel system, valve sizes, head work, and several other factors. That is why Jake has such a large selection of cams. But then you need lifters to match that will not fail in 500 miles. This is another place you cannot cheap out. Do it wrong and you may need a whole new motor. Search the threads on lifters and in particular ceramic lifters.
Mark Henry
Can't do much with stock injection...web has a cam (or jake) that has a bit more lift...that's about it.

Beyond that you need carbs or aftermarket FI smile.gif
Mueller
In order to keep the stock FI, you are very limited with the cam selection, I think Webcam #73.

Jake might have something, but don't expect any miracles with a cam that is stock FI freindly.

Ti valves are race only for the most part, and if you are complaining about $900 carbs, wait till you see the price on that other stuff.

A 3-angle valve job wouldn't be a bad thing, it helps whether a stock rebuild or modified, it just cost more in labor.

Jake Raby
I have roller cams and lifters, BUT no way are they are gonna work with any variant of the stock injection and they don't jst drop right in without all the other components in "the combo"..... The benefits of a roller cam are mostly in the fact that the valve as fast as possible, alowing more charge to enter the cylinder, thus increasing power..

My 9550 and 9010 cam are designed especially for stock injection systems....But you won't make more than 115HP and if you make it bigger than 2056cc you are taking risks.

Used carbs don't cost 900.00
Aaron Cox
jake - when do roller lifters and cams debut?

and - roller rockers- pauter ones require external oiling?

just cool stuff man
Jake Raby
Stay far,far away from the roller rockers for any street engine that does not run an external oil delivery system...And even then about 95% of TIV cams, (all of them, no matter the Mfr) have characteristics that do not compliment any greater ratio rocker arm.(ramp rates too fast)

The roller lifters and cams have already made their debut in certain "Super hero" engines, as early as July 2004.... Just getting more time on them before selling them to guys like you! Oh yeah, and developing combos for them that kick total ass..
Aaron Cox
rock on jake smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.