Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Van News Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Bleyseng
Just talked to Brad and the Korijo Van left LA.
The Van then made it as far as Buttonwillow CA where it blew a head gasket. Its in a shop waiting for the parts to be shipped in from VW. Could be 2 waiting for parts so hang on Dave!
Brad hopes the van still will be there in Novato on Friday so he can drive it up, so keep your fingers crossed.

Geoff
seanery
who is driving the van, and how many laps did they get around Buttonwillow before it blew?
Jeroen
Man... this SUCKS BIG TIME ! ! ! ! !

GRRRR!!!!

Jeroen
Bleyseng
I think it was "Man of Bronze" who got 2 laps in before it blew. Course record on the second lap too! (for the SCCA Class for POS Vans)

Geoff
TimT
Shouldnt the van be warranteed in some way?

I believe in NY used vehicles from dealers get something like a 3 month/3000mile warranty. Doent Cali have somethinglike this?

Still this sucks moose...

Im sure that woman (the seller) will bend over backwards to make this right
Jeroen
QUOTE(TimT @ Aug 13 2003, 12:05 AM)
Im sure that woman (the seller) will bend over backwards to make this right

Yeah, and if she don't...
Well, I've got a pretty good idea where the next 914club-get-together is gonna be biggrin.gif

Hope this gets solved fast

cheers,

Jeroen
ChrisReale
Jeez....a blown head gasket, huh?
boxstr
Seven day Lemon Law in Oreogn, not sure about CA. You can return the vehicle for a full refund.
CCLINBLOWNVILLE
Dave Cawdrey
OMG ohmy.gif

I owe my first born male. huh.gif

Seriously. Terrible Two's are terrible happy11.gif

I thought it wasn't happening this week ?? Effin' water cooled headbang.gif

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!!!!
rhodyguy
this is the worst. if the van can get to novato or near the airport in oak, sj and someone will fly down with me to tag team it back i'll go. first fight out of seatac get the van, have some pancakes and start home . van in sea by 12 pm. no senic byways. partner in puget sound area would work well.

kevin
TimT
Seven day Lemon Law in Oreogn
er Oregon

hasnt korijo been the owner for more than 7 day? and its only Cali that matters
Pam
Lemon Law doesn't usually apply if a vehicle is sold with the disclaimer 'as is'. I went back to the original blocked thread and looked at the ebay ad. It appears there may be something called a 'carfax check' that might apply and I didn't see anything in the ebay material that said 'as is' but, of course, the printed bill of sale may have included such a disclaimer.

I'm sure someone directly involved in the purchase will check those items and reasonably discuss the repair issue with the seller if it becomes necessary.

-Pam aka Toolwench
rhodyguy
boy, oh boy. everybody maintain. do not email or bug that woman. someome's ass will wind up in a sling.

kevin
TimT
Hey just wondering if the reseller has any liabilty...

If the "as-is" box is checked...... we all now need to get Dave some head....errrrrr head gasket.... head job..... LOL err replace the head gasket on that thing...do a top end rebuild

hmm since the head will be off.... port and polish....

beer.gif
Qarl
Sheez o-mighty.... the saga that NEVER ends...
Curvie Roadlover
Isn't a blown head gasket a very common problem for the water cooled VW vans? confused24.gif
Bleyseng
Yep, its like clutch cables in teeners. Always happening at the worst time. The problem is getting the parts as no one local has it (duh!). VW is shipping them in so it can be done.
IF the van is done on time, someone is driving up to SF so Brad can drive it up. He wants to make the Swap & Flare events if he can.

Geoff
Dave Cawdrey
I'm pretty sure this is typical. Prolly matainence issues due to the title changed 3 times in 3 months thru 3 different dealers...

"Ain't broke, dont F' wit it" attitude blink.gif
Bleyseng
Did you ever see any of the service records? When was the coolant last serviced?? course that doesn't matter on these vans, its just a problem with ALL of them. Atleast now it won't happened again for awhile.

Geoff
ManofBronze
sad.gif Not my day. After taking the train (yes LA does have mass transit of sorts) to Van Nuys and picking up the Van, I proceeded North to the 1st challenge: Tejon Pass (4144 ft) on I-5. Made it through with no obvious problems; the rest should be easy. Set the cruise control at 72 mph & proceed. Everything OK except the gas gauge/temp gauge go to zero periodically after hitting a bump. Gauge come back after hitting another bump; oh well, I can live with that. About an hour goes by, what's this - the temperature is creeping up a little. Slow down to 60, temp back down. Let's try turning on the heater - temp down some more. OK, better stop & check - hoses pressurized; coolant in the expansion tank. Proceed; temperature Ok for a while; oh no it's starting to go up slowly. Stop again,; looks OK. Go some more; Bang from up front; stop quick. This doesn't look good. Call AAA; send tow truck. Where are you exactly? Good question

Service record stamps in the book stop in 2000 around 67000 mile as I recall. There is an oil change sticker on the windshield about 2000 miles / 3 months back.

Hopefully repairs will be completed Thursday PM or Friday AM. Bakersfield VW dealer promised gasket set in 2 days; two LA dealers didn't have them either.

Sorry for the delay. Damn, even Kowalski didn't have this problem.
Dave Cawdrey
YOU ARE THE MAN !!

I will find some way to make this up to you. Everyone. pray.gif

Welcome to my LUCKY world. I sure miss my road trippin' days.

Planning a trip, soon. w/ the new van clap56.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ManofBronze @ Aug 12 2003, 09:51 PM)
sad.gif Not my day.

thanks for doing this! pray.gif
i hope you drink beer, because we have some ice cold ones here waiting for you when you get here. beerchug.gif

i had a 3 day "holliday" in bakersfield 2 years ago.
rear differential broke on my '93 jeep on the way down to san diego.
had to wait for parts, ended up staying at a motel next to the ihop (dead cat in the swimming pool included) ...

beer3.gif
Andy
campbellcj
This is a total long-shot but I'm wondering if some parts/labor might be comp'd by VW if they heard the full story of "Dave's Van" ? It would be great publicity for a Bakersfield VW dealer if they stepped up to the plate...
Brad Roberts
The problem is: we are all running real thin on patience and time. I personally dont have time to drum up "publicity" right now to get the van repaired. It will take the remaining 2k to get it repaired and get me back to SF from SeaTac.

I appreciate the offer to fly down from Seattle and drive it back... but right now that is not the problem..

B
rhodyguy
brad, i realise that's not the prob. my reply was a little obtuse. WHEN it's ready i'd come down. big pain for you to do solo. a partner would be nice if only to have someone to talk to if it craps out up in weed. not pot, the town. but the former would be nice if it did. senic side trip to humbolt. KIDDING.

kevin
"have toothbrush, will travel"
Bruce Allert
Good Gawd! I can't believe all the shit that's happened. It is truely incredible that everything that has been done to help Dave has, somehow, had a "tit get in the ringer!"
One good thing is that whatever has happened it has been overcome.
I feel a responsibility since it was a thread I followed up with after Daves initial request for help.
But, ya know, this has brought us closer together as a club and has let us know what can be done and overcome by a bunch of neurotic car lovers. rolleyes.gif when the need applies. It's just too bad that there have been many needs getting Daves van & chair.
We will overcome.... this and anything in the future.
Dave... ifyou ever buy a vehicle outta the state of Washington again I'll have Kevin, Chris & Geoff go to your house & pound ouchies all over yer haid smile.gif
Jest kidding buddy.

bruce
rhodyguy
i hope the "blitz" on daves car(914) goes as nicely as jenny's.

kevin
Bleyseng
It will if there's enough pizza and beer!

I think Dave deserves a swirly for buying a car outta state myself!!

Geoff happy11.gif
Dave Cawdrey
The newest...

Motor is blown ohmy.gif , yes, BLOWN

WTF ?!

I just can't win ... I'm crawlin' back into the hole I came from mad.gif sad.gif
Jeroen
WTF, alright!
G-damn! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Can anyone share some details please?

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
I heard that the head is cracked and the 2 cylinders on that side are cracked also. That means its time for major work.
Lots of little things are not quite right on the motor, like it was taken apart and put back together a few times recently.

Brad has scored a NEW motor from VW and it will be installed as soon as it gets to Buttonwillow. YEAH BRAD!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

So this Van will have a new motor and be dependable. Is that a oxymoron??

Geoff
(I still am going to give you a swirlie when we do the flare party)
Dave Blackburn
This had better be the most reliable van in the US when you get it! mad.gif
What a PIA. I can't belive the trouble you guys have been having mad.gif
Hope it all works out good in the end!
If you belive in karma, then there is probably a kilo of weed or something stashed under the seat for you. wink.gif
dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(korijo @ Aug 13 2003, 05:09 PM)
Motor is blown ohmy.gif , yes, BLOWN

headbang.gif
Hawktel
I think it needs a 350, or a 3.6.

I'm sorry its not going well smilie_rolli_1.gif
Qarl
Yes.. screw working on Dave's car... we will just give him noogies all weekend!

I slept like crap last night.

I actually had a f-ing nightmare about Dave's van. I had one about my son too. Weird how things work your way into your sleep.

Regards,

Karl
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(korijo @ Aug 13 2003, 05:09 PM)
The newest...

Motor is blown  :o , yes, BLOWN

WTF ?!

I just can't win ...   I'm crawlin' back into the hole I came from  :angry:  :(

Shit fire ar15.gif fighting19.gif & fuck me to tears
headbang.gif
ain't even gonna sign it confused24.gif I'm bummed
Qarl
Brad has scored a NEW motor from VW and it will be installed as soon as it gets to Buttonwillow. YEAH BRAD!!!!  

You guys seemed not to pick up on this yet...

Is this true!!!

If so.. then HOORAY for Brad... Brad deserves a lot of thanks from us all and Dave for sacrificing a lot of his already busy time and effort for this endeavor.

Thanks Brad!
Mueller
I'm having dinner with Brad tonight, I'll buy him an Ice Tea for his troubles....hell, I might even spring for refills...LOL

Is someone writing all this down? Would make an interesting story or heck, even a movie smile.gif
ejm
Brad has scored a NEW motor from VW

That is excellent news, goodwill from a manufacturer is getting harder to come by. clap56.gif
Lots of little things are not quite right on the motor, like it was taken apart and put back together a few times recently.

These motors tend to be reliable. The previous repairs may have been done poorly or maybe no one has found the root cause of the problem. A good check of the cooling system is needed before the van hits the road again.
(I still am going to give you a swirlie when we do the flare party)

Post pictures! wink.gif
rhodyguy
should've ponied up and got that syncro in tacoma with the subaru 6 conv. dave should contact the reporter that did the piece when he was in the times. the whole think would make a great human interest article.

kevin
Carrera916
dave...

you mean the engine is blown, as hole in the block? or just an expression of saying this as the headgasket is blown?

I sure hope it's the head gasket instead the whole frigging engine.....jeez

hang in there, man....we'll figure something out here....

j
Bleyseng
No, cracked a head and two cylinders. With the mileage and damage its time to rebuild it is what the mechanic was saying. Might as well get a "new" motor which is what Brad has ordered.

Geoff
Dave Cawdrey
I am pissed. I want to let this lady know what she has caused. I place blame on myself, too.

This is my first email to her:

Hello,
I am interested in this Eurovan.  I am in Seattle, WA.  I have a friend in LA
that could come and inspect it for me, but not until Saturday morning.  Are
you open then?  Could you email me an address and phone number, please?
One more question: I am disabled and will be putting a wheelchair lift on it.  Do you
feel this is a "reliable" vehicle?
Thanks for your time,
Korijo

And her reply:

yes very reliable, call me at 310 927 2006 lisa, the van is located at 2120
lincoln bl in the city of santa monica 1blk south of pico bl

But, a test drive AND a quick once-over polly wouldn't have turned this up.

Thank you, again, Brad & Everyone pray.gif
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(kellzey @ Aug 13 2003, 06:54 PM)
Brad has scored a NEW motor from VW and it will be installed as soon as it gets to Buttonwillow. YEAH BRAD!!!!  

You guys seemed not to pick up on this yet...

Is this true!!!

If so.. then HOORAY for Brad... Brad deserves a lot of thanks from us all and Dave for sacrificing a lot of his already busy time and effort for this endeavor.

Thanks Brad!

An earlier post from Brad says there's 2K left. Does not seem like it'd be enough for the new motor much less getting Brad back home.
Me thinks the fund raiser isn't over yet guys. We may need to pitch in a wee bit more.
bruce
Brad Roberts
We have a little over 2k left.. probably enough to pay for the labor to install the new engine.

I am opting to go get the van and bring it up here... so I can at least watch the work being done.

Oh.. I noticed several people thought I was getting the engine for free... DENIED. The VW dealership gave me the max discount they could towards the purchase. The engine will come from New Jersey and take 3 days to get here.

If I spend any more time on this.. I'm going to need a wheelchair.. now I get to drive to Buttonwillow with an empty car trailer and haul this PIECE OF SHIT Back. 5 fucking hours one way. I have got news for the 914club.. MY gas is being paid for from the funds as well as my food.

Any objections ?? finger.gif I'll be more than happy to turn all of this over to anyone who wants it.

I will get/have the van repaired..then Lisa gets a fat bill from me and nice letter from my favorite attorney.

Once again EBAY strikes. You would have thought we learned our lesson.

Rant over. I'm pissed OFF big time.

B
Eric Taylor
yeah, seriously- screw ebay. It just a wasteland for slummpy people selling crap. I personally have been burned twice on big ticked item's on ebay. It's not worth it. The last ordeal got my account cancled, because I "didn't ship the item" which I have a signed paper showing it was delievered. It's to easy to get involved with the wrong people on there. Lisa is a sterling example of one of these types.
Eric
Jeroen
Did anyone contact Lisa on the blown engine yet?
And if so, what were her comments?
(although I can guess)

cheers,

Jeroen
Part Pricer
Did the PPI give any indication of potential engine problems? confused24.gif
redshift
unreal..

M
JWest
Absolutely pay your gas and food - Brad! You (and others) are definitely deserving more than that with the time and trouble you have gone through. smilie_pokal.gif

If the funds get too low then I'm sure we can come up with more to add to the pot - just let us know what the balance is and what is left to do.

Oh yeah, we need pics of you guys giving Dave nuggies when this all gets finished up...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.