Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: type 4 turbo guys-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jd74914
owned.gif

honduh people usually do like turbos tho.

Jake, what are using as EFI on you turbo beasts in development?
Jake Raby
The same FI I have been using on my N/A engines for quite sometime now.. It's based on SDS electronics with a few things from my "Goodie Locker"......
jd74914
Ok thanks . . .just curious laugh.gif
Sammy
I second the vote for a six over a powerful 4 if the price is remotely similar.

for me the whole point of turbocharging a type 4 was to get good power from a cheap engine.
cheap horsepower is a good thing, expensive horsepower sux.
If cost wasn't an object I would have done a big six in a heartbeat.
flame on
nein14
Why doesn't anyone look at what EvilEd did 94mm Mahles 7.65 comp. Bosch CIS injection KKK26 with SSI heat exchangers etc. Trust me it works and is very very reliable, and goes like hell!! driving.gif
jd74914
how did he manage to keep the SSI's with the turbo, do you have a pic handy because I can't visualize it. huh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Oct 31 2005, 07:47 PM)
how did he manage to keep the SSI's with the turbo, do you have a pic handy because I can't visualize it. huh.gif

guessing similar to airsix's install. HE's to collector, collector to turbo, turbo to muffler, muffler to tailpipe
Jake Raby
A cat can be skinned more than one way...

Some ways are better than others and I'll do my best to find the smartest way- trust me.

There is no right way, the book doesn't exist that dictates that. Ed did a great job on his arrangement for sure, but I don't tend to walk in the foot steps of others, no matter who they were or what their results were.

FYI- To the poster above that mentioned that the prce of this kit will be in the neigb=hborhood of a six conversion:

Thats not the case I have seen from those who have done the conversion and paid someone else to do the work. Perhaps if you start with a junkyard bastard size six that no one else wants you may do it for even less than the prices stated, but who likes to work with junk that might scatter tomorrow? Sure some of those engines last forever, but guesswork isn't fun for anyone.

FWIW- The STOCK rebuild a 2.0 TIV these days, if done by anyone reputable at all will cost you 5K bucks complete.. Of course my prices are higher than that and I don't do a 100% stock engine anyway. Typically those 5K stock rebuilds don't even get balanced or even faintly blueprinted and rarely make 100HP..... So, whats so wrong with ripping out your current engine thats in decent shape, ripping off the tin and bolting an assembly to it that can increase power output by about 50-80%???? Thats why I intend to use those engines I have in my stash with 80-100K miles on them as some of my first guinea pigs- They are more likely to give us real data of what the customer that has a used engine in their car can expect and the points that their engine might fail just like the test beast did when the boost is cranked up!

This is the reasoning for me even trying to offer the kit. Its really my absolute last attempt at trying to fulfuill the aircooled 4 cylinder 914 market for guys that like the car the way it was from the factory. Like I said, what I learn can always be utilized for my 356/ 912 and beetle conversions and therefore my efforts with the 914 will never be wasted effort. At minimum I'll have a six cylinder killing machine with a MassIVe badge for myself and I guess thats really all that matters... I do intend to give the 914 following an option the same way I have with my N/A 4 cylinder program thus far so if it sales, it sales, if it don't its not gonna hurt my feelings! Hell this is fun work!

Lets don't get this blown out of porportion the way we ALL know that it can. There is a definite desire for a Turbo kit and my planned development in the 914 & T4 world, so don't crucify me for having some enthusiasm and getting the job done the right way.

I can see now that my forum will have to be utilized for all my developmental sharing from now on, including the results of the "melting" party.... Don't expect to see me answering questions about it here, all that seems to do is create drama and confusion.... If you are a 4 cylinder enthusiast and want to keep up with what I'm doing come on over-
jd74914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 31 2005, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Oct 31 2005, 07:47 PM)

guessing similar to airsix's install. HE's to collector, collector to turbo, turbo to muffler, muffler to tailpipe

that makes sense, didn't think of that way, i was thinking of a turbo before the HE's and wondering how he balanced the muffler at the end
Joe Ricard
Jake how about that forum. I have registered and jumped the hoops. Just not able to log in and post to STF. Ya got a secret handshake or sumpin?
"Go Navy" didn't work..... Can't get myself to say Hoorah more than once. <<<< and thats it.
Jake Raby
You should be able to login and to post with no hassles...There is no special procedure for either.
Mueller
QUOTE (nein14 @ Oct 31 2005, 07:30 PM)
Why doesn't anyone look at what EvilEd did 94mm Mahles 7.65 comp. Bosch CIS injection KKK26 with SSI heat exchangers etc. Trust me it works and is very very reliable, and goes like hell!! driving.gif

Hi John,

have been able to or wanted to dyno that car yet?

Brett W
Why would a Honda driver even give a shit?

I still own a couple of 914s. Granted they'll never have an aircooled four in them.

At 10 psi I can get 250+hp and at 20psi I can get welll over 450. If you can't do that with a type four I wouldn't bother putting a turbo on it. Stick with a NA motor. For the kit prices you offer you can build a 180+hp big four for $5K.

The thing with a big six is re-sale. The prices of even a cheaply done six are much higher than a four. But that is another argument.

Now back to thread topic. For most people that like the torque of a T4 you should either go with an IHI from an older Suburu or a T25 from a @nd gen DSM. Both of these turbos max out at about 10-15psi, but they spool RIGHT NOW. You should be able to get max boost by 3500 rpm. If your turbo is too big your powerband ends up being 200rpm wide. For a semi built T4 you could run a TDOH14B from a first gen DSM or a small T3. .42 AR or if you could find one a .36 would also spool quick. You could also build hybrid T3. .42 turbine with a .63 compressor wheel. If you are really planning on going big I would look for a T3/T4 combo. But you better raise the redline from 5500 rpm because this turbo won't get started until 4000-4500.

You could build some sort of rear mount turbo system like the STS systems. I don't like the design but it sorta works. This setup would allow you to keep the heat exchangers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.