Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT brass tubes to oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michel richard
Does anybody know the outside diameter of the brass tubes that run along the driver side longitudinal on the original 914/6 GT cars ?

TIA
ChicagoPete
How quickly do you need an answer on this? The guy who restored the Lufthansa GT is building mine and has made exact reproductions of the brass oil cooler lines. My car should be finished and home by the end of November. Can you wait that long?

Other source is Armando, but, he is crazy busy lately and has a lot of his parts stored.

Peter
michel richard
Peter,

I must say I did'nt mean to bother Armando, but I've been looking at his site a lot.
Whenever you can is good.
I've begun making room for the lines on my tub. I'll post first pictures tomorrow, as far as that part of the project is concerned. See below for full thread.

Michel
michel richard
Today I figured that the most important thing I need to do, at this stage is to get the tub fixed. I'm not doing the remaining flares myself, but the other stuff I want to get done before the tub goes to final paint.

That includes:

1) making holes for the front swaybar
2) a hole in the firewall (I know this is controversial, but a number of GTs had this)
3) organizing the driver-side long to allow oil lines forward.
4) getting the muffler heatshield ready.

I started with No 3.

First a couple of pictures of the long, before I molested it:

michel richard
The forward part:

michel richard
And the jack point after I cut it.

I now want to POR-15 it, so that I cleaned and etched it. POR 15 will go on tomorrow.

That's it for this evening.

michel richard
Oops, I meant to put these in the main thread. I'll just add a link there.
davep
There are rubber bushings for the holes in the sill supports. I'd guess the pipe OD is the same as the Bushing ID. Now if I can find my bushings, you may have an answer.
db9146
Michel,

Did you have to fab the front oil line supports?
Jeroen
why did you cut out the jack post?
didn't the oil lines have a kink at that point?
michel richard
Dave,

On the 4 cylinder cars, the tubes that go down the driver side longitudinal are fuel breather lines, or fume recirculating lines, or something. The brass oil lines for oil cooler equiped cars are much larger diameter.

Jeroen,

Yes the lines have a kink, but the jacking post support still has to be modified to let the lines by.

db:

The front of the longitudinal is stock, it's always shapped like that.

Michel
IronHillRestorations
You probably don't want to use the original size tubing, it's kind of small, especially if you are going with a large displacement engine. I've got one of the 911S brass oil lines, I can measure that for you. It's supposed to be of the same stock as the 914 GT stuff.
michel richard
Perry,

If you could, I would be grateful. It'll be a base case, at least.

Michel
davep
Michel,

I realize the evap lines run through the supports. However, I remember the GT parts manual had the bushings for the oil lines listed, so I bought them. That was 20 years ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.