Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of parting out my 2.6L Type 4 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfulcher
Hey all.

In the fall of 2004, I suffered from a fractured crankshaft in my hotrod 2.6L Type4 engine while burning over the Birkshires in western MA.. Anyhow, the engine escaped unscathed from the incident, leaving the only damage to one bearing and the crankshaft itself.

I had a new stock 2.0 on the shelf that I installed to get the car back on the road and frankly, have been very happy with it's reliability, cool operation and fuel economy. I spent cash on the suspension, brakes and wheels/tires instead of rebuilding the 2.6.

Anyhow, I'll probably never get around to rebuilding this motor. I just found it too unreliable for fair-weather daily driving. I like to take the car on long roadtrips, too (400 - 600 miles each way). When I do a rebuild, I'd rather put the cash into something a little more usable every day, like a 2.2 or so...

What I have left is a case that has been bored and clearanced for the stroker crank, a set of Rabbit connecting rods, TRW JE Forged 103mm pistons (with brand new rings!!!!), camshaft, lifters (all nicely work-hardened), heads with new big valves, seats..

Before I put these bits on the open market, any idea what the individual parts might be worth?

To see the stuff.. and the failed crank, go here: GALLERY.

Eagerly await your comments! Thanks,

-greg-

r_towle
300 bucks for the lot.

You need to change your signature.....
Hey, I just realized....it November now!!!

Rich
Twystd1
PM Sent..

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
im interested.

stock 2L crank offset ground to 75mm? stroke and rabbit rods?
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 1 2005, 05:58 PM)
im interested.

Aaron what are you going to do with the crank and rods happy11.gif
Twystd1
I'm still laughing........

flipa.gif
headbang.gif
lol2.gif
barf.gif happy11.gif idea.gif
chatsmiley.gif pinch.gif smilie_rolli_1.gif jester.gif
rock_band.gif spam.gif post-2-1117899824.gif
owned.gif sheeplove.gif 051103-stupid4.gif

Twystd1
SLITS
QUOTE (V6914 @ Nov 2 2005, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 1 2005, 05:58 PM)
im interested.

Aaron what are you going to do with the crank and rods happy11.gif

Well.......he's a budding engineer....he already told me he's going to use JB Weld to put it back together. wink.gif

Aaron Cox
no dipshits. im interested in the case and all. wanted to know HOW he got it stoked with a stock crank. thus he offset ground it.

bootyshake.gif
SLITS
Generally you "stoke" a fire, or you can "stoke" a pipe, but alas, I can see the budding engineer "stoking" a case, but what are you going to fill it with.

Now, if you want to offset STROKE a crank, that is a whole different story. You can offset grind anything as long as you can get a rod that is small enough in the big end to accomodate the very small journal.

Of course then you would have to consider how much you have destroyed the structural integrity of the casting / forging.
gfulcher
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 1 2005, 08:31 PM)
300 bucks for the lot.

You need to change your signature.....
Hey, I just realized....it November now!!!

Rich

Dude.. I know it's November.. I don't need reminders. I've got a check for you the next time I see you.. (sorry guys - off topic for half a second)...

Anyhow, the engine.. What I'm gathering is that it's basically worth nothing - so I may as well keep it in the event that I'll do a rebuild... It's worth more to me than the 200 - 300 dollars people want for everything including the heads. Going to get the case measured and see if it can or should be line bored first.. and go from there..

Thanks, all.

-greg-
PS: so who's in for the MA / CT brunch run?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.